NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Well Convergence ended

Its interesting to see the Multiverse properly restored, with the first Crisis being wiped out completely. I will probably read a few of the main books for a month or so to see what comes of this but I was disappointed to see that they are still treating the nu52 characters as the main lot. I cant remember the exact line but they mentioned each Earth having evolved then showed what the characters used to be and what they are now (the now characters being the dull nu52 ones that drove me from DC to begin with

:( )

I've been binge-reading Fables this past month, and I think my least favorite thing about binge-consuming media is noticing minor contradictions that I would otherwise have been blissfully unaware of. I read Fairest 1: Wide Awake today, which tells the backstory of Sleeping Beauty, and which outright contradicts these two (admittedly throwaway) panels from Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love:

Cinderella%20fairies_zpsopjjflux.png

Those aren't the same fairies, and Frau Totenkinder wasn't involved at all (and it's been implied that she was behind Briar Rose's curse in Fables proper, too, which just makes me even more annoyed).

Actually, Fairest 1 plays fast and loose with the Fables canon in general.

As much as I disliked Jack of Fables, one of the few decent - and relevant - stories was the one that explained how the Snow Queen turned evil. But according to this, she was never actually evil - Geppetto was just drugging her to make her loyal to him. Oh, and also she's addicted to stories, I guess?

And the Beast and Beauty revelation is just... ugh. Maybe it'll go somewhere interesting, but it comes out of nowhere! A hundred issues in, with no hint whatsoever, and now Beauty's not actually Beauty! Bah. Kind of ruined the characters for me, to be honest.

Anyway, to sum up: comics are annoying. Also, I take these things way too seriously. :blank:

anyone checked out Doctor Fate? Just read the first issue, it's really good.

Does anyone read East of West? Just finished Vol 4 and while it was a slow start to the volume, fuck, it's so epic.

Does anyone here read comics regularly anymore?

Batman, Doctor Fate and Justice League have all been amazing. Hellblazer too, has been pretty good. It's dark, morose even.

I still read comics on and off but not as regularly as I used to. Planning on trying to get back into it more with Marvel's relaunch.

Hmmm, think I must be the only person on here who reads DC monthly.

I'd love to. I actually miss reading a lot of the characters and I've tried a few times to get back into it but I just dont like the new 52 stuff. Was hoping that Convergence would help but I thought that was pretty crap as well.

Convergence was just a shitty two-month filler event to cover the office move from New york to Burbank. It was such a piece of crap.

Post-Convergence is where you want to dip your toe. I recommend Justice League #40 onwards. The Darkseid War has been really good. It feels like and event but it's not spread across a million fucking books. Think it's beens Geoff Johns' best writing, by quite some way.

Also, Batman has been superb from the off. You might want to start from batman #41 with Commissioner Gordon as a new Batman.

There are some fantastic comics in there among the dross.

Does anyone know where I can buy the Michael Cho run of variant covers for Marvel comics?

There are a few on ebay but they're being sold with high postage. Haven't seen them show up on Forbidden Planet.

Cheers for any info/sites/help/best ebay sellers.

Edited by Retro_Link

I haven't checked but Stadium Comics often do variant bundles and I believe Michael Cho is a frequent visiter/friend of theirs.

Whats everyone reading at the moment then?

I'm currently reading/re-reading some old DC stuff. At the moment I'm going through Geoff John's original run on The Flash (Wally West Flash) then I'm planning on going through JLA or possibly Birds of Prey (both pre new 52). I'm also feeling the urge to re-read a load of DC events so I'm probably going to go through Crisis on Infinite Earths to Blackest Night again.

I always get like this after watching a new superhero movie, I did it with Deadpool recently as well. Despite not liking Batman v Superman it still gives me the urge to go back to the stories from DC I actually did like.

I decided to jump back into Marvel with ANAD. With my move to Frankfurt, I haven't been as able to keep up as well as I'd like, but I'm actually enjoying Sam Wilson, Squirrel Girl, Ms.Marvel, and Vision. After the amount of crap the company put out over the course of the last decade, it's nice to actually enjoy that universe again.

I've also read a Dr.Strange story called The Oath, which was pretty good, makes me want to jump into his most recent book.

I recently picked up The Walking Dead Compendium 3. It's amazing! I'm up to March to War and struggled to put this down.

Super fucking sad. I loved Darwyn Cooke's work. It was just sublime.

The spoilers coming out this morning from Rebirth are making me think I might just have to start reading DC regularly again.

After not having read any comics for an absolute age, I recently read through Batman (New 52) and have started Superman (New 52) too. Will look to check out Rebirth after.

Rebirth...

It's absolutely...

Fucking...

Stunning.

I'm honestly still coming to terms with what I just read this morning. It's DC at its best. And the meta-textual stuff is sublime.

And now one of my favourite characters has arrived.

I enjoyed Rebirth as well. Finally felt like they understood all the mistakes from nu52 and were on the road back to fixing them. Looking forward to getting back into DC again!

Also, I just ordered the next Flash Geoff Johns omnibus

61hmahqI34L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ok so I'm caught up with Bats and Supes, just bought and read Rebirth now in work.

Enjoyed that! Glad I decided to get back into comics.

You'll have to make sure you keep us up to date with what you are reading. It'll be nice for this thread to have some life in it again.

Bought and read both Batman and Superman Rebirth Issue 1.

I'll be reading these two series and may check out others based on people's recommendations... maybe The Flash given that DC Rebirth.

Starting Spiderman 2015 too, I've not read any Spidey since being a kid!

Edited by Kav