NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Aaron's Thor was/is/will continue to be great. #latetotheparty

Absolutely epic in scale sometimes, then beautifully down to earth in others.

Looks like the Marvel Universe is finally ending after all these years. It'll be smashed together with the Ultimate universe during Secret Wars and we'll have a new one by the end. I'm gonna stay optimistic but I just hope it doesn't go as badly as DC's last attempt at this!

New 52 got me and a couple friends to read comics regularly. And lets be honest, reboots are built into the very DNA of DC Comics' storytelling. Grant Morrison does it perfectly; Infinite Crisis, Batman, Multiversity - DC has always been about the chordal narrative, ever since A Flash of Two Worlds, maybe even before.

If it was up to me DC and Marvel would completely reboot every 10/15/20 years. I guess DC kind of do this actually.

The New 52 was worth it for Wonder Woman and Aquaman alone. DC's problem wasn't doing the New 52, it was not rebooting the universe enough and being way too conservative with some creative teams.

Yeah thats great for you. For me the New 52 completely destroyed their comics for me, I gave it over a year and dont enjoy their universe anymore so I have dropped all DC books. I have no real problems with reboots as I was excited with all of you to see the New 52 a few years ago.

Since I'm probably going to get a reboot thrown in my face eventually, what didn't you like?

Pretty much everything. I dont like the universe, changes to characters and things that started off well dropped quickly for me. Im at work at the moment so cant be bothered to go through listing everything but the entire tone and feel of DC books changed and I didnt like it. I know there were obviously a lot of people who didnt like the changes after the original Crisis as well, there always will be but there is definitely a large portion of the fanbase who still just do not like the New 52.

Interesting. There are so many books, I would have thought there's be at least a couple to like. I still pick up Batman & Rob and Aquaman. And then other ones sporadically.

Earth 2 was a real revelation. Loved that so much. And they fucked up Wonder Woman now...so boo to that.

Really tempted to order all the JLA trades at the moment, no idea why though lol. Im a bit down on comics at the moment, have nowhere to store trades and I know when I start reading it I wont finish (I still have some Guardians and Spider-Man stuff sitting around half finished) but I'm still tempted to buy them. I have the first one in hardback. Guess I just want to read some of the DC stuff I actually used to like.

71Z0HJ8995L.jpg

I'm reading that. Issue 2, Electric Superman whatthehell. I picked it up after listening to Grant Morrison on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman. It's enjoyable and he actually makes great use of Superman's fucking weird powers.

I'll make a decision tomorrow I think and maybe order them at work. I did just finish my Guardians of the Galaxy trade to prove to myself I could actually get through books again lol

So I heard New 52 is being brought to an end...Do people reckon compendiums of them will come out?

Probably not. Its only really the branding thats coming to an end and that happens all the time.

Probably not. Its only really the branding thats coming to an end and that happens all the time.

oh so the arcs and new versions of those characters aren't ending as such?

oh so the arcs and new versions of those characters aren't ending as such?

Its hard to say with certainty as the event thats coming as New 52 ends is yet another multiple universes story so who knows what the status will be afterwards. Personally I am expecting it to still mostly be the New 52 status quo with some things changed and fixed. I'll be keeping an eye on it but if im right and that is how it turns out then I probably still wont be reading any DC after it.

Read Secret Wars #1 today. Pretty awesome so far and feels suitably epic for the end of their 2 major universes. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Myself and some friends have got a new comic book podcast where we discuss three books.

Anyone read these? Sex Criminals is fucking class.

You know what I miss in this Comic Book discussion thread?

...Discussion about comic books :(

I used to love coming into this thread and chatting for hours a day with you guys. What happened?!

Edited by Happenstance

I became disillusioned and unpassionate. Towards DC and Marvel at least.

Loving TWD at the moment and Outcast and Saga...although I am three issues behind.

Yeah to be fair it's not like I kept posting loads either as the books I was reading dropped quite a bit as well. No more DC for me at the moment and Marvel stuff is just on and off. Got to admit I do miss reading Spider-Man though, just waiting for Slott to finally finish his run so I can go back to it.

Yeah, no one here reads DC so I have no to talk to about it. Reddit is where I go to. r/DCComics is actually really friendly, too.

You know what I miss in this Comic Book discussion thread?

...Discussion about comic books :(

I used to love coming into this thread and chatting four hours a day with you guys. What happened?!

I honestly attribute it to social media, phone apps etc. posting on a forum is not as easy, updating your status with a couple of sentences is a quick-fix version of voicing your opinion on something. I wish more people would get tapatalk, I think it would help.

Although with the exception of Saga, I'm not really enjoying any comic books at the moment.

Well in an attempt to get the ball rolling again. I signed up to Marvel Unlimited the other day. It seems quite a bit better than the first time I gave it a try, especially with their smart panels no longer cutting off half of word bubbles! Still a shame that its 6 months behind normal releases but theres not much you can do there.

Maybe we should have like a comics book club. Pick a TPB to read once a month.