NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

*Manta? I may have seen one in Forbidden Planet can't remember.

I also wanted Killer Frost 3-D but didn't see that one. Do we know which ones are rarer than others? @%1; P.S How do I do Mentions on here? Can't seem to work it???

Cheetah was ok. I like the boost in power she has in New 52, but her new origin was *shrug*. I guess kinda more...formative than her old one but need more exploration. I like that she's being used. Funnily enough not in Wonder Woman though. :p

Clayface was ok. (OK being the general theme of Villain's month issues) I assume it'll lead into future Detective Comics arc/s but I bet this won't be at all relevant to those stories.

@ tag to mention.

Not sure how you tell but in Stadium Comics show they mentioned Clayface is a rare one.

I just found out Clayface is rare! Not going for as much on eBay as Dial E but iiiiinteresting! I kinda want to sell it on but I'd only be making like 5-8 quid more. Meh. Maybe. I might WAIT. I need to look into preordering, if I still can... how did I miss the memo that these covers were gonna be rare? Argh.

Oh shitting blood. LOADS have already sold-out. Cringing. Let me compile a list of the ones I might want. I don't know why the 3-D covers have me so hooked. I feel like a SAP. So wrong yet so right.

I think I just want Joker's Daughter and First Born but I'm not caught up with Wondy yet. I will be once I buy the Vol.3 trade (waiting to see if I get amazon credit for my birthday) and then get the rest digitally. JD is already sold out in 3-D...I shouldn't really buy it anyway since Ann Nocenti is terrible but still...and FB is sold out too. Guess I'll just chance it when I get to Forbidden Planet on next new comics day. My three main wants were Harley, Ivy and Cheetah anyway, this rare Clayface is a bonus though.

yeah I've tried not to get too sucked in by these 3D covers, but they do look pretty ;)

Joker's Daughter is lining up to be the rarest of all the covers since she's a completely new Villain

after this month is over I'll really be cutting down my DC pull, JH Williams off Batwoman and Manapul off Flash really helps with some of the decision making, Johns finishing up his Aquaman run as well means I'll probably drop that. Think all I'll be left with are Batman, Batgirl, The Movement and maybe 1 or two others that escape me at the moment ;)

I'm tempted to try a few of the trades of some New 52 stuff I never got on the bandwagon with. Well..I was on no New52 bandwagon except Wonder Woman (way behind) and Earth 2 (current).

Feel like I should keep reading Batwoman (read Hydrology) but everyone says it's so boring and thingie is leaving. Eh maybe I will anyway. And Batgirl I know is quite popular but then has a lot of naysayers too...hmm!

I just started reading Suicide Squad again with Ales Kot's short-lived run and found that mildly interesting.

I finally read Justice League Origin (the first arc) and thought it was shit. Like really, really bland. So dull. What a pointless re-imagining. I've read Throne of Atlantis too a few months back, that was ok.

Most of the DC's stuff now is just so meeeeeeeh and dark and faux serious and dull. Marvel is giving me a lot more life atm.

Bob Harras On DC Relationships

From the DC Comics 101 panel at NYCC just now, Senior BC NY Correspondent Hannah Means-Shannon reports the following exchange:

In q and a:

Q: is it true that no characters in the new 52 can get married now?

Bob Harras: the new 52, we want surprises. We want things to happen that may be unexpected with romances, relationships. What we ask in General is that we don't want any of our characters rushing into stable relationships. The only character we have married is Buddy Baker, animal man, and that was part and parcel of the character.

So no even Aquaman & Mera are married also isnt Buddy in the middle of getting divorce with his wife? And saying not wanting DC characters rushing into stable relationships when DC are releasing Superman and Wonder Woman relationship book this month.

Edited by Dante

I'd hardly call Wonder Woman and Superman stable. That thing is not going to end well. And it will be an event.

Anyone else reading The Wake? It's on #4 now and I think it's brilliant.

Also, I enjoyed Superman/Wonder Woman #1 a lot. Look forward to the next issue.

Six part story "The Trial of Jean Grey" has just been announced at NYCC.

Quite interested for this. Really enjoying X-Men again since Bendis took over and the Jean Grey stuff is even more complicated at the moment with past Jean and future Jean around, neither of which actually did the Phoenix stuff and then "dead" Jean who is in the White Hot Room who is the only one you would think would be put on trial (unless Battle of the Atom ends pretty badly I guess)

Ok I jumped onto Batman with Zero Year and the last issue, the oversized more expensive one, was BRILLIANT. I mean, it's a re-imagining of the *the most famous* origin in comics, yet it was gripping. Maybe the higher page count helped with that feeling. Excellent.

I spent the last few days reading all of New 52 Teen Titans. No idea why, I know it's shit (it kinda is) but I'm a glutton for comic-based punishment sometimes. I love how they just can't find Skitter (pointless new character) as they leave one mission so they just leave...and haven't mentioned her since! LOLZ. Why is everyone Red? The team look SO EVIL. I like Bunker so far, in terms of being an LGBT character. Only one or two dubious lines, but otherwise happy with his representation.

Crap writing/dialogue though.

A case of the New 52 reboot being handled badly - instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, they should have just tried to consolidate what was so loved about TT in the past and make a definitive new title with beloved characters. OH WELL ANOTHER DC FAIL.

Just started Batman/Superman late cause I'm buying it when it drops in price on Comixology. JAE LEE <3 Which I already knew.

OH YES. Finally caught up to Wonder Woman as my vol.3 trade arrived then caught up via Comixology. That was so so brilliant. Absolutely love it. Get a real...Game of Thrones feel, it terms of family warring over a title/stunned/stunning/the payoff was so worth it. I think it all reads much better as a whole than seperately. AMAZE.

Superman/Wonder Woman was fine. Enjoyable. *shrug* I just don't care about the relationship cause it's not a thing in Wondy's comic. LOoooooool how long before DiDio forces Azzarello to feature supes in Wonder Woman?

Liking Battle of the Atom over in X-Verse, but not sure what the outcome of it is going to be? As mentioned above I like the sound of what the O5 are going to be facing soon. BotA doesn't suggest huge ramifications.

EVERYONE READ SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN if you like things like HAWKEYE/FF/ENJOYABEL/FUN COMICS

MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN has breathtaking art.

Superboy dies and get replace with evil version. Now DC mess with Supergirl;

GL_Cv28.jpg?1383937524

GREEN LANTERN/RED LANTERNS #28

Don’t miss this amazing flip-issue with two covers at a special price of just $2.99! This DOUBLE ISSUE contains both GREEN LANTERN #28 and RED LANTERNS #28! With dozens of sectors in open rebellion against the Green Lantern Corps, Hal Jordan is faced with a crisis in the sector most important to him: 2814, home of Earth…as well as Ysmault, home of the Red Lanterns. Hal made a dangerous bargain with Guy Gardner, and now it’s time to pay up! Plus: Guy and the Red Lanterns take over policing Sector 2814! And you’ll want to keep reading RED LANTERNS next month to see what happens to their newest member: SUPERGIRL!

Though I read a few DC series, NOTHING about the universe/company/plans excite me. It's so stale. So so stale. Don't know what it is, but it all feels so bland post-New 52.

Marvel is where I'm getting all my life these days. Progressive and seems to *care* about the quality of what they're putting out (more than DC anyway, who clearly doesn't proofread their comics...or at least has shitty editors).

I just got on the Batman train with ZY and am catching up now, it's great. Wonder Woman is still amazing. I am giving Superman/Wonder Woman a go, but I actually forgot I read the second issue. On the day I read it. Bad sign.

I'm gonna give Harley Quinn a few issues too. Hmm.

Marvel >>>> DC so hard. SO clearly. Right now anyway.

Did any of you ever subscribe to Marvel Unlimited? Just wondering if it would be worthwhile signing up.

I ended up getting a months subscription to Marvel Unlimited at a discounted price. Its not all that great.

Firstly though it is nice to have access to all those comics, I will say that. Problem is though the app itself seems to be poorly built, chugging along a lot of the time. Its also not the easiest thing in the world to try and read certain story arcs. Some are placed in their own sections but even then I felt like there was stuff missing. I also like to use smart panels to read my comics now as im using the Nexus 7 and compared to Comixology's these are pretty terrible. No real transitions and it all just feels poorly cut out, sometimes you are even missing parts of word bubbles so you cant tell whats being said. In comparison I just finished reading Infinity Gauntlet which I bought from Comixology in their sale and it worked perfectly, very smooth and natural transitions from panel to panel, knowing exactly what it should be showing you. I wont be renewing Marvel Unlimited once this month is up.

If Comixology came up with a subscription model though I would sign up straight away.

Info on whats coming after Cataclysm for the Ultimate Universe:

tumblr_mz6kbwhsiX1sompo1o1_500.jpg

It's the end of the world for Marvel's Ultimate universe, but it's a beginning, too.

Fourteen years after its creation by Marvel Entertainment as a modern, grittier and contemporary take on Marvel's characters, the publisher is pushing forward with new efforts to reinvigorate its universe where the dead remain so and disaster, discord and - ultimately - redemption and rebirth are among the events that keep readers coming back issue after issue.

What it means for characters like Miles Morales; members of the FF (Future Foundation, not Fantastic Four); and the All New Ultimates, including Black Widow, Kitty Pryde, Bombshell and Cloak and Dagger, will unfold beginning in April as the events of the soon-to-end "Cataclysm" mini-series runs its course.

Writer Brian Michael Bendis is tight-lipped about the end but said this week that it ends with great cost.

"They're able to win the day, but at great sacrifice, a sacrifice that is so huge that it changes the entire landscape," said Bendis. "It creates a place that demands a fresh start from everyone who surveys it."

The move is part of Marvel Entertainment's relaunching of its Ultimate universe that starts in April under the banner Ultimate Marvel NOW!

Editor-in-chief Axel Alonso called it the opportunity to tear down the existing universe to make it better.

"Once again, we're destroying something and building something new, but there's an end game in sight," he said of the move, noting that Marvel's so-called Ultimate universe has always been noted by readers, writers and artists and editors for its "elasticity" and experimentation.

"We created the line to take chances," he said.

"Dead is dead," he said, so don't expect any miraculous resurrections. "The long and short of it is this: The Ultimate (universe) benefits from a good, old kick in the butt."

It's also a chance for other characters to take larger roles in place of long-standing ones.

"If you've been following Brian Bendis and David Marquez's 'Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, you know that Miles Morales, has had to grow up fast," said editor Mark Paniccia. "In 'All-New Ultimates,' we'll see this eclectic group of super-powered teens step up, live fast and maybe even die hard" in the new series written by Michel Fiffe and drawn by Amilcar Pinna.

Bendis said Morales, who took up the Spider-Man mantle after the death of Peter Parker, is among those characters who finds himself in new territory, too.

"You can look at this as kind of his Bar Mitzvah of sorts and, now, he has to take the reins of Spider-Man under the new world he finds himself in," he said of the upcoming "Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man" series drawn by Marquez.

"His entire life as a human being has changed."

For others, the change is going to be rapid, and unexpected, said Joshua Hale Fialkov, writer of "Ultimate FF," a team book drawn by Mario Guevara focusing on several core members that make up the Future Foundation.

"It's a team of geniuses, four of the smartest people in the Ultimate universe," he said, of the core that includes Sue Storm and Tony Stark, among others. "And we're missing one, and that one happens to be a psychopath."

Fialkov called the titles an opportunity for Marvel and readers.

"We have a pretty big responsibility with this universe. No. 1., it has been a gateway for people back into films and we want to be innovative, doing things different with these characters that you cannot get anywhere else.

"We look at the opportunity 'Cataclysm' gave us to reset the board," he said, "and do some really cool stuff with the characters."

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268764/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=gPxzbSry

Nope, sounds bollocks.

Absolutely devastated that Miles Morales isn't

Going across to 616

With Superior Spider-Man AND/OR Amazing Spider-Man AND Spider-Man 2099 AND Scarlet Spider, I thought we were going to see some kind of epic Spider-team-type storyline or something. Disappointing.

I have always enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man, with low points being the Deadpool arc, and a few hit or miss issues here and there, but apart from MM being such a great character, it hasn't been very interesting the last three years. And the ENTIRE Ultimate line has been shit overall....probably since Ultimatum.

I mean seriously. I just looked at that teaser image again. Absolute garbage. Who gives a shit. Who gives even the tiniest, slightest of shits about that?

Edited by ReZourceman

Nope, sounds bollocks.

Absolutely devastated that Miles Morales isn't

Going across to 616

With Superior Spider-Man AND/OR Amazing Spider-Man AND Spider-Man 2099 AND Scarlet Spider, I thought we were going to see some kind of epic Spider-team-type storyline or something. Disappointing.

I have always enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man, with low points being the Deadpool arc, and a few hit or miss issues here and there, but apart from MM being such a great character, it hasn't been very interesting the last three years. And the ENTIRE Ultimate line has been shit overall....probably since Ultimatum.

I mean seriously. I just looked at that teaser image again. Absolute garbage. Who gives a shit. Who gives even the tiniest, slightest of shits about that?

Im looking forward to it

Ive really liked the team up of Cloak and Dagger, Bombshell and Miles over the past arc or so in USM so im glad they are sticking around. My only worry is that there is no mention of Spider Woman in any of that, another character I want to stay.

Basically for me they've stripped away a lot of the stuff from the Ultimate Universe I had stopped reading and left me with the stuff I already liked so im completely happy and looking forward to seeing what else comes from this.

The only thing worth reading in the Ultimate universe since Ultimatum was USM so something needed to be done.

The early Ultimates stuff was interesting (as in, the relaunch of the most recent relaunch) but meh. As you say, USM was the best thing - I too have enjoyed this team under Bendis, but I'm not following those characters to a book which sounds shit, by two creators I'm not familiar with. I will be interested to hear what it's like though. Also I'm confused....is there no more USM book, or is not USM, Ultimates and FF. Or is Miles simply in the Ultimates one.