NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

I take it you're not to enamored with Year One or Dark Knight Returns then @ReZourceman?

Black Mirror by Scott Snyder is an amazing Batman (Dick Grayson) story, with art by Jock and Francesco Francavilla, easily one of the best books of last year.

as far as Thor goes, the recent JMS run was really good imo, Fraction's run is good but completely overshadowed by Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery starring child Loki :)

There's also the classic Walt Simonson run from the seventies :)

Cheers!

Why don't we have an option on this forum to bookmark posts or something... anyway I'll make a note of your recommendations and look into them/ask for more advice in a few weeks.

I cannot remember if I mentioned it, but Frank Cho's Scarlet Witch was giving me an absolutely ferocious and uncontrollable erection. And I do dislike to be one of those horny comic book nerds, jacking it to comic book artwork.....BUT.....fuck, that was sexiana!

Yeah I think he does a good job with women, only complaint would be that he's drawing Hope a bit too old for her age.

Im also enjoying ASM Ends of the Earth, jumped back onto Spider-Man for that arc. Saw a few complaints about overuse of the Avengers in the last issue but I think that was the point really, use them early so the rest of the arc can be dedicated to Spidey.

I still think Spider-Man needs his big moment in the Avengers comics, something to justify him being there. I thought we were going to get it in Fear Itself when he left and came back but that was just a pointless section.

Is anyone reading Battle Scars? Final issue is out soon.

It is about

Nick Fury's

son, and how much of a bad ass he is. He is going to play a role in the MU going forward, rightfully so.

I have been thoroughly enjoying it, its got good art and its a good MU/SHIELD type story with not much continuity attached to it.

And its by Yost. Who is amazing/awesome at EMH Avengers and Scarlet Spider.

How are people finding Scarlet Spider? I think its great. Artwork is amazing.

I haven't read any Scarlet Spider yet. It started when I dropped single issues for a while so I'm just waiting for the trade.

I've just read a bit about whats coming up. And it also made me think about it some more. And I realised that A) It is actually brilliant and B) Yost is actually brilliant too. He is climbing my write ranks.

Oh yeah I remember that happening in Spider-Island. Good then? I'll keep an eye out.

I've been catching up on some Spidey stuff I missed after Big Time and just read Matters of Life and Death. Really enjoyed the Smythe story (especially the new Scorpion, though I thought Gargan was more...mental these days) and the rest of the trade was really good too- short stories but they all worked great. Especially enjoyed the one about Johnny Storm.

How's Avengers after FI? Not read anything current since then.

Avengers went through a bit of a crappy arc with Osborn creating his Dark Avengers again, not much has happened with them really. Should hopefully pick up now though with the AvX storyline.

Decided to move my trade purchases back to this thread in an attempt to get more conversation going. Just ordered the new Venom trade. I read the first couple of issues when they came out and remember enjoying them, I just dropped off a bit after that so im looking forward to reading it properly. Plus I know Rick Remender is becoming a pretty big name at the moment.

617CuaNJVAL._SS500_.jpg

This thread needs more conversation, its dropping too far down!

Go with DCnU I guess. Which titles from the initial 52 are people still reading? For me its:

Batman

Nightwing

Batgirl

Teen Titans

Superboy

Superman (kind of glance through)

Aquaman

Justice League

Green Lantern

For me it's:

Action Comics

Aquaman

Batman

Batman & Robin

Batgirl

Batwoman

Birds of Prey

Detective Comics

The Flash

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps.

I, Vampire

Justice League

JLI

Nightwing

Superboy

Supergirl

Superman (although, tempted to remove this)

Swamp Thing

Teen Titans

Wonder Woman

I'm probably forgetting a couple, as my comics are at my Uni house. A few of them I'm not enjoying as much as I hoped I would be, but I'm reluctant to pull any from my list, in case they do start getting good. Batman & Robin is nowhere near as good as it was when Dick was Batman - but I'm a big Damian Wayne fan, so I'm keeping it on my list purely so I can get my Damian fix.

I'm rather looking forward to Shazam!, although very wary about the fact Captain Marvel's name has been changed. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Captain Marvel, but I was intrigued by the preview in JL #7.

I'm probably forgetting a couple, as my comics are at my Uni house. A few of them I'm not enjoying as much as I hoped I would be, but I'm reluctant to pull any from my list, in case they do start getting good. Batman & Robin is nowhere near as good as it was when Dick was Batman - but I'm a big Damian Wayne fan, so I'm keeping it on my list purely so I can get my Damian fix.

I'm rather looking forward to Shazam!, although very wary about the fact Captain Marvel's name has been changed. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Captain Marvel, but I was intrigued by the preview in JL #7.

Yeah Shazam looks like it could be good, I keep wondering how he is going to introduce himself now though without turning back into a kid!

I've found with Damian Wayne that I tend to like him when he's with people other than Batman. Some of the best stuff I read with him in was when he was with Stephanie Brown or Tim Drake.

I remember Shazam was always referred to as that in any promotional material he was ever in when I was young (outwith the comics). I always knew him as that. Is that something to do with Marvel's more popular/known Captain Marvel(s)?

DC have claimed that its just because everyone knows him as Shazam anyway but its pretty much widely accepted that they didnt want Marvel in the name either promoting Marvel itself or incase of any legal troubles it could bring.

Shazam is an awesome name. I want more Black Adam, too.

Of DCNu I'm still reading,

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

Batman

Batman and Robin

JL

Batwoman

The Flash

Resurrection Man

Wonder Woman

Superboy

Teen Titans

Aquaman

...Think that's it. I love Superboy and Teen Titans. Bi-monthly goodness.

Surprised you are enjoying Teen Titans and Superboy, theyre pretty much panned every issue. Very overwritten with characters explaining way too much that we can already see on the page. I enjoyed them to begin with but at the moment im only still reading them because I like the characters and cant get them anywhere else for now. If this "Robins" book does end up coming out i'll probably drop them.

61GTKIOTe-L._SS500_.jpg

...just arrived. Only got the dispatch email this morning! Pretty awesome.

I really want the Spider-Island hardback but...so expensive. It's nearly £20 still. Might just blow the cash on it anyway - absolutely loved the arc last summer.

related: Anyone read the FF arc in Spider-Man? I've skipped over it as the two I read before just felt like FF books and I just don't follow them.

Just read X-Men: Blinded By The Light. Well written / engaging, with beautiful artwork. Chris Bachalo is always such a treat.

xmen200bachalo.jpg

Surprised you are enjoying Teen Titans and Superboy, theyre pretty much panned every issue. Very overwritten with characters explaining way too much that we can already see on the page. I enjoyed them to begin with but at the moment im only still reading them because I like the characters and cant get them anywhere else for now. If this "Robins" book does end up coming out i'll probably drop them.

Yeah, a lot of it is overwritten, I guess. For the most part I think it's fine - it's kind of popcorn fun. I think Kid Flash and Superboy are awesome, too. I think they're written pretty well. That it's a bi-monthly thing carries a lot of weight, too.

I like the art, too.

Just read The Return of Bruce Wayne by Grant Morrison.

batman-robw6-1289416981.jpg

I feel so unprivvy to what just actually happened. But it felt stunning nonetheless. I probably should have read the rest of Morrison's Batman mythod -- apparently the story arc is the best thing when you've faithfully read all of Batman RIP / Batman & Robin etc.

~~

Wolverine vs the X-Men (2011) is the worst comic I've ever read. Sloppy writing, pointless story. Worst of all you can tell the writer was wanking over Emma Frost throughout the writing process.

Decided to move my trade purchases back to this thread in an attempt to get more conversation going. Just ordered the new Venom trade. I read the first couple of issues when they came out and remember enjoying them, I just dropped off a bit after that so im looking forward to reading it properly. Plus I know Rick Remender is becoming a pretty big name at the moment.

617CuaNJVAL._SS500_.jpg

If there's a Volume 2 coming out, please let me know. I swear, it was going to come out in April, but I heard nothing about it since.

Also, I was recommended Uncanny X-Force some time ago, and I recently skimmed through "Rise of Apocalypse" (or something like that). Small group going on missions to stop cosmic threats and unspeakable horrors has its charm, but I do prefer stories more grounded to reality.

-Deadpool feeding Angel that...those... pieces of meat...who...how can that even get published? O_o I can't even decide if that was awesome or not.

-So, 4 random mutants from throughout the history of mankind can live forever despite their powers having no relation to such an ability? Are mutants just...incapable of aging?

-There seemed to be a lot of room for character development, which sounds good, but Wolverine annoys me, and Deadpool is...ummm... :blank:

Out of curiosity, are there more members besides those 5?

If there's a Volume 2 coming out, please let me know. I swear, it was going to come out in April, but I heard nothing about it since.

Also, I was recommended Uncanny X-Force some time ago, and I recently skimmed through "Rise of Apocalypse" (or something like that). Small group going on missions to stop cosmic threats and unspeakable horrors has its charm, but I do prefer stories more grounded to reality.

-Deadpool feeding Angel that...those... pieces of meat...who...how can that even get published? O_o I can't even decide if that was awesome or not.

-So, 4 random mutants from throughout the history of mankind can live forever despite their powers having no relation to such an ability? Are mutants just...incapable of aging?

-There seemed to be a lot of room for character development, which sounds good, but Wolverine annoys me, and Deadpool is...ummm... :blank:

Out of curiosity, are there more members besides those 5?

Uncanny X-Force is soooooo good. Its character development, loyalty to characters, interactions, relationships and dialogue is its main strong point, whilst being intertwined with complex and "high stakes" storylines. <3 <3.

Deadpool is as tolerable as you'll find in it. I love how he is written in the closing issues of the first arc and opening of the second, due to what they do.

There are one or two members that shift in or out of the team, but its mainly that core unit.

This Volume 1 tpb I ordered only came out at the start of April so maybe you just got confused with that.