GREEN ARROW #1

HAWK AND DOVE #1

JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1

MEN OF WAR #1

O.M.A.C. #1

STATIC SHOCK #1

STORMWATCH #1

SWAMP THING #1

and I'll end up picking up at least half of those probably :)

I'm not in for Detective Comics either, didn't read Daniels Batman run and there's plenty of good writers on the other Bat books so my money goes there :)

Happenstance was too fast for me!

This weeks DCnU releases;

ACTION COMICS #1

ANIMAL MAN #1

BATGIRL #1

BATWING #1

DETECTIVE COMICS #1

GREEN ARROW #1

HAWK AND DOVE #1

JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1

MEN OF WAR #1

O.M.A.C. #1

STATIC SHOCK #1

STORMWATCH #1

SWAMP THING #1

ACTION COMICS #1

ANIMAL MAN #1

MEN OF WAR #1

STORMWATCH #1

SWAMP THING #1

JLI #1

What I'll be getting :)

I'll be reading:

Action Comics

Batgirl

Detective Comics

Green Arrow

Hawk & Dove

JLI

I expect i'll stick with Action Comics (unless Morisson's writing annoys me), Batgirl, Detective, Green Arrow and JLI

Kirkman/Liefeld.

AKA the biggest conflict of feelings ever. (Well no...lol. Like...Kirkman/Land. But that won't happen and at least Liefeld has intgrity and passion)

I'm getting,

ACTION COMICS #1

DETECTIVE COMICS #1

MEN OF WAR #1

STORMWATCH #1

Excited for all of them. Bar Detective Comics since the preview looked crap. Might pick up a few more. Cannot wait for Stormwatch and I really hope Men of War is good.

Just read the entirety of Morrison's New X-Men run. Stunning. Great.

The ending was great. As incongruous as Britney's foray into dubstep. So much happening at once, so much to take in. Really felt dystopaic, and the logical conclusion to the themes explored in the previous arc.

Just so many inspired developments and innovative decisions made on Morrison's part. Really well written too. I cried a bit wee at the riot section. I kinda hated Magneto -- felt really overdramatic, and a bit shit, and a bit like "I genuinely did prefer you when you were hiding".

Very great. Very worth it.

Just read the entirety of Morrison's New X-Men run. Stunning. Great.

The ending was great. As incongruous as Britney's foray into dubstep. So much happening at once, so much to take in. Really felt dystopaic, and the logical conclusion to the themes explored in the previous arc.

Just so many inspired developments and innovative decisions made on Morrison's part. Really well written too. I cried a bit wee at the riot section. I kinda hated Magneto -- felt really overdramatic, and a bit shit, and a bit like "I genuinely did prefer you when you were hiding".

Very great. Very worth it.

Yeah I disliked Magneto, but that was clearly the intention - his brotherhood basically spoke for the audience with their opinions as he grew madder/less reasonable. In Supergods he just says he did what he did on/with a purpose. So I accept it. Just not my favourite characterisation of a good character. I deal.

I'm getting,

ACTION COMICS #1

DETECTIVE COMICS #1

MEN OF WAR #1

STORMWATCH #1

Excited for all of them. Bar Detective Comics since the preview looked crap. Might pick up a few more. Cannot wait for Stormwatch and I really hope Men of War is good.

People aren't saying great things about Detective Comics. You would probably be better off with one of the other Batman series. That said I don't read any Batman outwith Morrison's, so couldn't tell you what to pick up from the rest.

People aren't saying great things about Detective Comics. You would probably be better off with one of the other Batman series. That said I don't read any Batman outwith Morrison's, so couldn't tell you what to pick up from the rest.

I'm getting all of the Batman books. I read the couple page preview and the writing was amazingly lame.

Wait, so you've only read Batman when Morrison has done it?

Wait, so you've only read Batman when Morrison has done it?

God no! I'm a huge Batman fan and have been reading Batman since I was like...8, he's just the only modern (as in last few years) Batman writer I've followed. But then he's been the one shaping the universe for 5 years so it's fine.

Gotcha! That makes sense.

So I set up my Comics blog (again, nice one Dan for the idea). Check it out. Let me know what you think of the look and the background.

Super Dead Heroes

Heard AMAZING things about Snyder (4 people said his most recent Detective was the best Batman story in a decade). And Capullo artwork. Looking forward to that a lot.

What is this Season One stuff?

Heard AMAZING things about Snyder (4 people said his most recent Detective was the best Batman story in a decade). And Capullo artwork. Looking forward to that a lot.

What is this Season One stuff?

The Season One stuff is in continuity graphic novels being done of some characters origins and early days

Really excited about Men of War. Really hope it's good. Sounds promising.

Men Of War #1 by Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick with Jonathan Vankin and Phil Winslade.

This is the book Garth Ennis was born to write. Except he doesn’t work for DC any more. But Ivan Brandon does. A combination of two Ennis tropes – a hatred of superheroes combined with army procedural in a time of war when men must be men, suffer the consequences and keep honour, if only to themselves.

An American armed forces, with the nephew of Sgt. Rock amongst its members is sent to recapture a missing politician from insurgent central. The plan, such as there is, is going to plan until a superhero arrived. While Ennis would have most likely played this for laughs, here it’s more like Marvelman, unseen save for his outline, this superhero is a force of nature, unseen, unknown despite as one of the men says the likelihood that he is “on our side”. The fear and the anger from the troop as their planned actions are ripped apart by this force is visceral, and far more effective when aimed at a flying blur, one that seems to have its own share of problems. And then everything goes to hell.

This smacks of Carlos Ezquerra in places as the very earth around them is ripped up, scorching the earth. And a new Sgt. Rock is born. Nothing like I was expecting. But a bloody good comic.

It also runs a back up strip straight out of Ennis’ DC comic War Games, with non-superheroic, non-fantasy war tales told by Jonathan Vankin, with art by the ultra-detailed Phil Winslade. Anyone reckon on straight out war comics from the New 52? No, me neither.

About to read issue 16. It's pretty much amazing although I both like and dislike the art (mostly like).

You'll also be happy to know I convinced my friend to buy the compendium, too.

The art gets a lot better as it goes along, along with the colouring.

What did you think of the first arc Daft? It's a big complaint I've heard before that it's a bit twee and just an ok story. Obviously it gets a lot more interesting but for those people who started with the single issues or first tpb it wasn't enough to draw you in.

I dunno, I guess you could call it twee. I don't really agree with that...and I kind of do. I don't need, don't want, everything to be bombastic and off the hook. Small moments are good. Having said that, I don't think it quite hooks you until the first arc is over but everything I enjoy about it now is in relation to that first arc.

I probably would have stuck with it because it is quality (little bits like when he finds out he has superpowers and throws the trash into the sky and about four issues later there is this random page where it lands in London). When it comes down to it, characters are much more important than what's happening in the story and they're written pretty well and the first arc was all part of that. Maybe it does take a little too long to get going, until the big twist it is very light-hearted. So yeah, I can see why people dropped it.

I've read the first arc twice now and until the big twist it's almost forgettable but then what it turns into makes everything we learn in the first arc important.

...If that makes sense... Not sure I could actually contradict myself any more if I tried. :heh:

I'm glad the art gets better. I'm taking my time with this. The last page of issue 14 was a thing of beauty.

Yeah I started reading it with no knowledge that it gets deeper and I stuck with it. I do think Kirkman made a mistake though starting it off so slowly, if you read the first 3 trades in one go then it really draws you in.

I think it's part of the joy that it starts from a very mundane place. As a reader you grow with Mark. But I see the problem with that, at least commercially.

Also, I loved the Star Trek cameo.