NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

I've decided to actually read Wonder Woman. I am a fan of the character but have read like...4 actual issues of her series in my life. I'm gonna read the first issues from the Perez post-Crisis Reboot (i.e her origin for the last 25 years) and then Phil Jimenez's run since he stuns and I feel like I can skip the 90's.

Daft if you want a real sense of the Wonder Woman I'd suggest starting here too. Her Flashpoint incarnation is just nothing.

Edited by Paj!

I've decided to actually read Wonder Woman. I am a fan of the character but have read like...4 actual issues of her series in my life. I'm gonna read the first issues from the Perez post-Crisis Reboot (i.e her origin for the last 25 years) and then Phil Jimenez's run since he stuns and I feel like I can skip the 90's.

Daft if you want a real sense of the Wonder Woman I'd suggest starting here too. Her Flashpoint incarnation is just nothing.

Is the Jimenez run the one that started in the One Year Later branding after Infinite Crisis?

No, it's from quite a long time ago...they were still using the old DC logo.

It starts at issue 162 or something. (Obviously 500 issues havent passed since then, I guess they at some point went back to the original numbering, making the recent issues in the 600's)

Ah right. Well I read some of that Wonder Woman relaunch for One Year Later and it was ok, it went back to her being a secret agent for a while and I think Donna Troy was Wonder Woman at the start.

I assume with Supermans new suit they'll have to change the fact that he wears it under his normal clothes, wouldnt really work anymore.

Cos it was totally logical before, that he wore boots under his shoes and tucked a cape in the back of his shirt :heh:

Hahaha.

I always liked that in Invincible they never tried to do that- Mark's just so fast he gets dressed between panels :D

I must say happenstance, your sig is boss, thats the morlun issues isn't it? JMS at his best, what issues are they, I'm tempted to purchase them.

1. Didn't Mark already know about all the invincible-robots? I thought he had found out about them already.

2. What happened with Robot and Monster Girl? Was it covered in Invinc? If so, I've forgotten :(

1. Didn't Mark already know about all the invincible-robots? I thought he had found out about them already.

2. What happened with Robot and Monster Girl? Was it covered in Invinc? If so, I've forgotten :(

I also wondered about No.2

As for,

He knew about the doctor who created them working there and the robots, but the news ones are the previous invincibles he fought that were brought by that guy who could travel dimensions. They're now being controlled. If I were Mark, I'd be a little annoyed :p

I must say happenstance, your sig is boss, thats the morlun issues isn't it? JMS at his best, what issues are they, I'm tempted to purchase them.

I don't know the issue numbers but I do know they were in the short lived Volume 2 of Asm and are it the trade "Coming Home"

we haven't been given an answer to number two yet, it'll either be covered in Guarding the Globe #6 or future issues of Invincible

Really enjoyed Flashpoint #5.

Good to know the whole Flashpoint: Abin Sur was literally bullshit that had nothing to do with anything. Literally nothing. NOTHING. ZERO. ZILCH.

NADA.

Superman's entrance was sick. That's how I would have done it.

The whole BOOOOOOOOOOOOM bit with Thomas dying was ace.

The transformation splash page was pretty cool.

Anti-Flash dying, also great. He looked sad.

Didn't like the whole 'So everything is back to "normal".' from Bruce. Kind of just took the whole gravity out of the situation.

Loved JL #1.

Green Lantern and Batman are a great odd couple.

"Dark Side? Is that a band?"

GL being a cocky knob and then Superman punching GL.

Also Bruce ripping on GL.

The whole thing feels exciting.

I also wondered about No.2

As for,

He knew about the doctor who created them working there and the robots, but the news ones are the previous invincibles he fought that were brought by that guy who could travel dimensions. They're now being controlled. If I were Mark, I'd be a little annoyed :p

"guy who could travel dimensions". Angstrom Levy goddamnit.

we haven't been given an answer to number two yet, it'll either be covered in Guarding the Globe #6 or future issues of Invincible

At the start of the Viltrumite War arc the Flaxans attack again. Just as their portal is closing Robot and Monster Girl jump into it to stop their attacks once and for all. Then as you see in 82 I guess they just come back. It seems to be setup that what actually happened between them will remain a mystery, I would be surprised if it was revealed in GTG#6 I think that would just be them coming back.

Which incidentally we STILL don't fucking know who is drawing the last issue. Fucking hope they sort their shit out for volume 2.

Read JLA #1. It was good, it was fine. Nothing to get too excited about. I'm interested to see what happens next. I finally understand why/how there's different comics of the same character. Presumably the multiple Batman comics will each tell us tales of different points in his life, and they'll eventually all interweave into a stunning thing (if done well).

I'm not that big a fan of Jim Lee's art, to be honest. It's too plain-Jane 8/10. Fine to the point of boring.

Read X-Men Schism #1-3. I'm enjoying. I kinda hate children though. And the story's kinda a bit underwhelming, considering it's a quasi-event.

In the realm of 'events' I'm actually grateful it isn't over the top or overlong. Read Generation Hope 10 too, it ties in/makes issue 3 more worth it.

Was quite insulted by how generally shit the latest issue of Avengers was, both writing and artwork.

Read X-Men Generation Hope #10. Everything. My complete favourite thing. Such a self-contained thing, a voyage of Idie's character, embodying the whole essence of X-Men comics: If you are attacked and oppressed, you have to fight back. Sometimes you have to become a murderer.

I cried at the bit with Rachel Summers talking about being a Hound.

I'm watching Batman Brave and the Bold again (random episodes that have characters I like in) and it's so stunning.

I love how absolutely knowing and self-aware it is. Genuinely laugh out loud moments too. Just watched The Mask of Matches Malone, so great. When the BoP do that stunning musical number featuring barely veiled mockery of various DC heroes dick size. HOW did that get through?! Amazing.

"Green Lantern has his magic ring, so much power that little thing"

"Flash's foes always finish last, too bad sometimes he's just too fast!"

"Green Arrow has heroic traits, that is when he's shooting straight..."

"Aquaman is so courageous, his little fish - less outrageous."

There's even a finger wagging at that bit lol.

I loved when Catwoman just left the conversation. 'You two are useless.' *jumps off roof*

'Yeah well..you're...useless!' - Black Canary, pointing dramatically after her.

*Huntress madonnagifs in the background*

And I love the needless but ESSENTIAL teasers before each episode. I love Batman callying Poison Ivy a 'herbacious hussy'. This is the best series.

Edited by Paj!