NEurope
LegoMan1031

Have i messed up my tv screen!?

Sooo basically to my horror it looks like an image has burnt itself on to my lcd 27" Samsung TV... :( It seems to look more obvious depending on the colours on screen. It is a purple rectangle with the wording 'xbox dashboard' and can just make out 'xbox guide' above it.

I tried taking a picture, if you look it is definatly there, i just couldn't seem to take a picture with the more obvious one.

Normal TV: 161ea689.jpg

Fable 3 xbox 3604504184c.jpg

The Culprit:

54abd84e.jpg

So basically have i fucked up my tv forever now? Will it go? Is there anything i can do to make it go? Any help would be welcome.

how long did you leave the screen on the xbox pop up to do that?

Erm, maybe 10 minutes max? Not 100%, I pressed it just while I was typing something on facebook.

It's still on screen now, 45 minutes later! :(

There's a few options, try unplugging it for a while (an hour at least - guessing you did that over night though). Try putting something constantly fast moving on, or displaying a plain white image for a while. Check the menu to see if there are any image retention/burn-in fixing options.

If it doesn't go away, you should return it because that shouldn't happen to an LCD in ten minutes. Are your brightness/backlight settings up really high?

If you can connect it up to your PC then there are plenty of programs on the internet and youtube videos that you can run to try and fix it.

Also in the first image there seems to be a screen burn of a suited man. How did you manage that? Not sure you can get that fixed.

For any modern TV to gain image retention, it takes a long while. Certainly longer than 10 minutes - my plasma screen managed to gain only very faint image retention after an 8 hour stink on RE5. If your screen is retaining images within 10 minutes, there is something wrong with the TV.

You could try holding a bright white image on screen for a few hours, but best option - as said before - is to turn it off for longer.

For future reference, make sure you have a screen saver settings on.

And no, it is not permanent.

How old is your tv? My 5 year old Toshiba 32 inch started getting image retention after about 3 1/2 years after only a few minutes, usually caused by game HUDs but sometimes by football scores or Sky Sports News.

It's not covered by any warranty either. Luckily I bought a 5 year warranty which covered accidental damage so I "accidentally" smashed it with a stepladder while "doing DIY" so they replaced the screen. I've since bought a new Sony 40 inch anyway but thought I may as well get my money's worth for the policy.

My Toyota showroom has the exact same Toshiba in their waiting area and that was bad for image retention too so it wasn't just mine.

You would not expect such problems from modern tvs in this day and age would you?,i have heard of problems with plasma before but not lcd so this is a new one to me.

You would not expect such problems from modern tvs in this day and age would you?,i have heard of problems with plasma before but not lcd so this is a new one to me.

It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, I am not that knowledgeable on LCD and its variants, but plasma manufacturers have made great strides in dealing with the issue of image retention and screen burn in - special kudos to Panasonic who make astonishing plasma screens.

In general, image retention is a pretty standard phenomenon in both LCD and plasma screens and is not necessarily anything to worry about, it will fade after a short time. The fact the OPs screen showed image retention after such a short time is a little worrying though, as I mentioned before my plasma only showed signs of image retention after a solid 8 hour stint on RE5.

Thanks for the advice guys, i have been at work all day so it has had a day of rest, i have not turned it on to check yet...

My tv is about five years old now, first time i haved a noticed a problem like this, and i'm sure i have left the same image on the screen for a lot longer than 10 minutes in the past!

Bit of a bump.

Just to say that i got screen burn again tonight because my gf left the sky HD menu on for 10 minutes static... *sigh*.

Even though i know it will fix itself i think i may start looking for a new TV in the months to come as i am taking this as a early warning sign my tv is getting old.