NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Schizoid Man

Maybe we could have worked it out??

Hmm, I was thinking literally minutes after my jaw hit the floor upon seeing the Revo's controller, that maybe some bright spark could have figured out the bulk of the device's revolutionary aspects with some careful speculation and Nintendo's clues...Here are some of mine, that I admit I never thought of pre-TGS but seem pretty obvious now: :smile:

1) If Nintendo are trying to attract a wider demograph to gaming, they've gotta break the enforced cliches of someone hunched around a computer, controller tight in hand. They already did this with the DS, by marketing the touch screen, a more, um, energetic, intuitive and interactive interface, as the selling point for games like Nintendogs, that were of course a hit with a newer audience. Not a clue in itself, but apply the whole "energetic new way of playing" (derived in a way, I suppose, from the Eyetoy) way of thinking to a new controller, and you'll eventually realise that, just like with the DS, Nintendo would have to make it ambidextrous. Hard to explain, I dunno, but I basically think that it was obvious (but obviously not obvious enough :no: ) that the controller would come in two sections for righties and lefties.

2) Bugger, that was harder to explain than I thought. Another clue, one big A button, was a given, and I did semi expect a trigger for almost every 'wrapped-up' finger, which we sort of got with the B and Z triggers.

3) Shit, I've only got two. Anyone wanna add some more giveaways or subtle clues or intuition. Apart from this, I reckon, Nintendo should/will expand upon the voice recognition of Nintendogs to add to the revolutionary interface of the new controller. Just imagine, it's like a great big contextual button for weapon changing, view changing, maps, that sorta thing, as well as being the centerpiece of certain other games.

BTW I'm not new but I just registered. Hi guys! I'm a big fan of Radiohead and King Crimson if you wondering.

________

Suzuki AN650

Edited by Schizoid Man

yeah I think your right to an extent, whilst when I first saw it I was like that wierd looking,if you look at the way nintendo have progressed thier consoles and thier various experiments with tilt pack etc.. and the commercial experiment that is the DS, then incorporate that with old favourites (how happy am I that the Z trigger is back?!!!) and you can see how this train of controller has come around.

(Even the Virtual Boy deserves a small footnote and has it's place in the development process. Nintendo have no created a device that lets you work with 3D space, and the virtual boy was an attempt at a 3D console, so all the mistakes/lessons learnt from such things will have helped.)

Sign in to follow this