NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Xenoblade Chronicles Official Thread

I'm about to resume with that classic JRPG scenario of sneaking in somewhere through the sewers.

It's a mine. ;)

Got my party to level 69-70 and started biff-bash-biff on some level 74 caterpillars I passed a looong time ago. Probably one my favourites moments in the game :heh:

Edited by Tales

Turns out that it is indeed a mine. The longest mine ever, no less. :zzz:

But the end of the mine is just so epic. It is worth the slog.

But the end of the mine is just so epic. It is worth the slog.

The battle at the bottom? I played some earlier after posting here and lo and behold, there was a lift to take me down the last section. Phew! I engaged in battle with the boss (who is hilarious, the English accent makes it) and proceeded to get slaughtered a few times. I saw there was a tutorial pop up but I couldn't really make out what it was telling me. Funny story, I only figured out last night how to pull off the tri-attacks as I pressed up or down on the Monado icon by accident when reaching for the d-pad. :idea: Anyhow, I ended up consulting Youtube and found a video showing me the gimmick for this boss. I'm gonna give it a quick go shortly and see if I can get it done. Can't wait to get back out into the wide open grasslands.

Well, after 77 hour or so, it would appear that I'm closing in on the end. Story is great right now, making me a little sad at how close I am to the end, but I'm really looking forward to sitting down with the game tomorrow and potentially seeing how this epic ends.

I am slightly disappointed at one aspect in the late game which I've tagged as it's surrounded by major spoilers for the story, even though it's more to do with side events rather than the main offering.

"]So after the events on the Mechonis, I thought I'd head off in search of the refugees, thinking there'd be some new quests to pick up. There certainly was in a few places but heading out to take them on, they're all concerned with killing things that are lvl 85+, some of which are uniques at lvl 90+, and so I'm left with no quests to aid in pushing on beyond lvl 73.

The only thing I can see is a load of grinding in the Bionis to get some levels (as the enemies are giving 5k/6k XP each) but it's not very practical. Anyone else at/around this area that can give pointers on where to head for quests doable and worthwhile at lvl 73 because, as I say, the ones that've opened up just aren't feasible other than 2 or 3 of the Replica Monado quests.

Not sure how people feel about names of places, but that is only reason why a spoiler tag is added, no major story plot. Answer is to @Ganepark32

Not sure, I am at the same point(lv 72-73) but not sure where to go for level up. Closest I've seen is a couple unique at 77 and then fishes at 85 at Eryth. But I'm still going through the quest list posted at last page so I'm hoping to get a couple levels when I'm done. Have you checked Satori March at night? I think they may be closer to 80 but they are definitively not below. The fishes at Agora Shore in Colony 9 is close to 77 I think, at least higher than Bionis Leg.

Are you going to kick ass on the final boss at lv 100 too? :heh:

Got one question myself, to get to the other parts of Bionis Interior, do you have to complete you-know-what story point?(the one that ends Alcamoth sidequests and a bunch of others)?

Edited by Tales
Automerged Doublepost

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but Burny asked me why I don't like this game. Well, I'm afraid despite playing it quite a few times I just can't get into it at all.

I won't nitpick about the story, characters or tone. It is what it is. The main problem I'm having is with the real-time combat. For me, real-time combat just doesn't go hand-in-hand with having a team/party. With turn-based combat, you have time to browse through the menus - a fair trade, I think, for having to control everyone - yet in this there is not enough time to. It becomes a case of waiting until everyone is a high-enough level to bash everything into submission. Maybe there is strategy to be had if you have quicker reactions. Unfortunately, I don't.

The other thing that put me off was the size of the first town. Yes, I have argued for large overworlds, but not cluttered ones. I meant things like having huge open spaces and fields if that fits the design. This town took ages to run round, accepting quests etc. It's not like you can go in the buildings at your leisure, or that they are designed in an interesting way (like the Bomb Shop on Windfall Island in Wind Waker). If I've argued for better towns, I meant things like how you can go in the castles in Dragon Quest, and how they're incoporated into the area design. The towns in this are much more like, say, Final Fantasy XII.

Anyway, I know you're all enjoying this, but Burny wanted to know.

I'm not going to argue, not sure how the English saying goes, but every one for their own? It's okay if you don't like it. Every opinion is accepted, it's just too bad that's all ;)

I'm 90+ hours so I like it that's for sure :)

@Grazza: Yes I did want to know, so thanks for posting it!

How far have you gone into it? Because I'd argue that things like your complaints about the real time combat sound very much like a case of you just refusing to adapt. It is simply a shame.

I certainly know the benefits of turn based combat or hybrid systems like Baldure's Gate where you can just pause anytime. Yet, these systems are not simply "better", but merely different for the sake of different games. I just can't help to point you to functional fixedness.

Especially what you say about the party: It's incredibly well handled in Xenoblade imo. You only control one character (and can't change character mid-combat) and the other two are entirely controlled by the AI, which handles the use of their arts rather well. All you do is determine the placement of your character, which arts to use when, as well as which enemy to attack. The only times where you have to control more than one character, the actual combat freezes and you can chose what to do at your leisure. The only times things get actually chaotic are when you happen to fight too many enemies. There are means to avoid it though, which is a tactical element in itself.

Bosses won't be bashed into submission just by using your auto-attack constantly.

I have to say, the battles in Xenoblade are incredibly well handled and still feel tactical. Once you get accustomed to the abilities your character can use you know what to use and when (e.g. when your tank character grabs the attention of the enemy so you can attack its back, use back slash). Because they have cooldowns, you really learn when best to use your abilities. You also do things like turn around the enemy before using Buster with your Monada so that you get splash damage. As well as this, you get told when the enemy is going to do an attack on one of you that will seriously injure/kill them, then you have to work out either what Monado art to use or what character to perform an action.

You've also got the fact that it's more fun, with little things a little like Lost Odyssey (aligning rings on the screen for a tension/affection boost). Simply selecting menus is quite drab, but full blown real time can feel too throwaway and senseless. I think this is a great balance, and probably one of the very best RPG battle systems to date.

How far have you gone into it? Because I'd argue that things like your complaints about the real time combat sound very much like a case of you just refusing to adapt. It is simply a shame.

I think it's the first story mission. We had to go into a cave and fight a monster (sort of a grub with smaller ones around it). Our Tension is very low, so I don't know whether I'm meant to focus on that, focus on curing the status effects or what. It's all very confusing.

Anyway, I kept failing, just kept going through the cave again and again until we were at Level 10. I had to grind because I hadn't fought anything else (nothing had attacked me). Yes, I know it's only a game, but it doesn't feel right to just attack innocent creatures!

So, already this was more grinding than I've done at the beginning of any other RPG. Add to that the fact I had got very bored spending hours finding my way around the city.

I'll probably try it again. I get the feeling I must be playing it wrong.

The best way to level up is to do all the sidequests. By the time you've done them and carry on with the story you will be a beast.

Has anyone finished the game yet?

I hoping for a cut scene movie player to unlock after it finishes... but there's probably none :heh:

I just reached the Bionis Wrist at end of the mountains and the boss fight before that aswell as the cutscenes were SO AWESOME

I think it's the first story mission. We had to go into a cave and fight a monster (sort of a grub with smaller ones around it). Our Tension is very low, so I don't know whether I'm meant to focus on that, focus on curing the status effects or what. It's all very confusing.

Anyway, I kept failing, just kept going through the cave again and again until we were at Level 10. I had to grind because I hadn't fought anything else (nothing had attacked me). Yes, I know it's only a game, but it doesn't feel right to just attack innocent creatures!

So, already this was more grinding than I've done at the beginning of any other RPG. Add to that the fact I had got very bored spending hours finding my way around the city.

That grub thing isn't a story mission, it's a quest by one of the soldiers near the Tephra cave I believe - the story quest is just to make your way through the cave to the Ether Cylinder Chamber. Plus, that thing is realtively powerful and you need a good team to beat it... especially since you probably aren't paying attention to skills, arts and gems at this stage.

I get the whole, not wanting to attack innocent creatures thing and I'm the same but doing most of the side quests has still left me feeling slightly overleveled at all times during the game. I've been gringing for items lots of times, but never for xp. That said, sloppy combat or using an ineffective team still means I can get roughed up pretty badly - but when I am paying attention, it's been fairly easy.

Has anyone finished the game yet?

Not yet.

I'm in a village full of enemies and I've been told the big bad guy is just in the next area... though whether he is or not I'm not sure. I do get a "point of no return" vibe coming through though.

Either way, it's fair bit on from where you are.

The best way to level up is to do all the sidequests. By the time you've done them and carry on with the story you will be a beast.

Am I right in thinking you don't have to return to the people who give you quests? You get the reward anyway? That's another thing that was confusing me. Like Burny says, probably an example of Functional Fixedness. ;)

That grub thing isn't a story mission, it's a quest by one of the soldiers near the Tephra cave I believe - the story quest is just to make your way through the cave to the Ether Cylinder Chamber. Plus, that thing is realtively powerful and you need a good team to beat it... especially since you probably aren't paying attention to skills, arts and gems at this stage.

Oh I see. Thought I was really poor not being able to do that.

I noticed you can approach it from two directions. My strategy was to lure the small ones away, then attack the big one. Anyway, you have all inspired me to have a few more goes, so thanks.

You usually have to return to named characters. Check your quest log or press + after finishing collecting/beating whatever to see if you have to return. But if you got the rewards immidieatly then you don't have to.

Oh I see. Thought I was really poor not being able to do that.

I noticed you can approach it from two directions. My strategy was to lure the small ones away, then attack the big one. Anyway, you have all inspired me to have a few more goes, so thanks.

I think there is a reason they made it not attack you until you got so close. They also made it so you didn't even have to go through that bit of the cave since you can go over it instead.

There is a boss fight not too far ahead (I say boss, it's just a mandatory fight) and you'll find yourself fighting creatures that are lower levelled than than that big grub. The unique monsters are a lot more powerful than regular monster of the same level anyway so there is no shame in being beaten by the thing - took me a dozen or so attempts to beat that because I'd just go back to it after dying without actually levelling up because I'd get close, but not close enough.

especially since you probably aren't paying attention to skills, arts and gems at this stage.

Or anything else, from the sound of things.

All the tips you need have been given I believe. I really hope you can enjoy it more with your next try! :) You haven't even started to scratch the surface. ;)

Just don't push yourself with the sidequests if you don't feel like it. If there is no clock symbol next to them in the quest list, you can finish them whenever you want - or not at all. If you look into the quest list, the actual story quests have a white diamond shape around the red exclamation mark.

I'd actually strongly advice anybody not to do this, unless they enjoy fetch questing for hours on end. There are so many of them, the danger of burning out is actually real. ;) Not to mention that they keep coming, as there are usually follow up quests.

I'm not far in (Lvl 36, ~27h) , but from my experience until now it's completely sufficient to just do some of the obvious side quests and explore the map while at it. By the time you've been around the map once, you're more than strong enough to tackle the next story missions. Whenever I feel like it, I go back to some sidequests in earlier areas.

Edited by Burny

Yeah what he says, basically gather all the quests you can from people with the ! above their heads (go across town at both 10:00 and 22:00 to get all available quests), and only go out of your way for them if they have timers. The refugee camp and later on the town after a certain sea have a lot of these timed quests. Also note some quests only appear after you clear others.

Also a good idea is to gather lots of quests from the nearby towns of monster areas first, as they often ask you to kill lots of monster X and Y. You then end up going through the respective monster dens and probably kill loads of those monsters just as you travel. If you only get the quests after going through monster areas then you have to go back to those areas and kill monsters all over again. Saves time and rewards you for nothing basically.

Up to cnrl fcty (missed out 6 letters ust in case of spoilers) looks just like last area :( and hope city is good, who knows when the alomoth quests end?

Up to cnrl fcty (missed out 6 letters ust in case of spoilers) looks just like last area :( and hope city is good, who knows when the alomoth quests end?

Don't worry, you're definitely not at the last area - I was there 5 or so hours ago, and I know I've still got a few areas left. You'll get some new timed quests soon, which run out when you finish the area - the same time as the Alcamoth quests finish.

I bought the limited edition of this game and a pre-owned Wii on Sunday.

And my god, what a game to finally tip me back into buying a Wii. 15 hours in so far and I'm bloody loving it. I keep trying to fulfil all the quests I possibly can before progressing further just in case of the event where you complete the game but you can't continue on your save.

It's probably been confirmed somewhere or other, but best to get your money's worth eh?

Anyone beat it yet? I've just reached the place that I've read is the final location, and I was wondering whether you can still go back to fight the higher levelled monsters once you've beat the game. Even though I'm just a little bit under the level of the boss I just beat, I can still think of a few places on the Bionis that I haven't been able to fully explore because there are monsters between 15 and 25 levels higher than me.