NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Xenoblade Chronicles Official Thread

I quite love RPGs. Not JRPGs in particular, all types... And hey, that sounds great. The whole game looks and sounds great, in general. As does Last Story. But I'm even more looking forward to Ni No Kuni!!

It certainly feels different to any other rpgs I've played. Given your love of them it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on it once you get going!

I just keep finding myself reading this thread! *I don't have the game*

I'm so interested in this game, but I just don't have 60-100hrs to put into a game right now... and honestly don't see when I will until next Summer! And there'll be the likes of Skyward Sword and plenty of 3DS games to play aswell... plus I'm thinking of getting a PS3!! Then of course the Wii U will be coming along!

But damn, this game looks and sounds so good!!

I'm so interested in this game, but I just don't have 60-100hrs to put into a game right now... and honestly don't see when I will until next Summer! And there'll be the likes of Skyward Sword and plenty of 3DS games to play aswell... plus I'm thinking of getting a PS3!! Then of course the Wii U will be coming along!

Seriously, buy the game, you will find the time. I have simply had to make time to play it. I am looking forward to skyward sword but I cannot see how I am going to ejoy it as much as this.

Look at the thread! Many people here are wondering if skyward sword can match up as an overall gaming experience.

Look at the thread! Many people here are wondering if skyward sword can match up as an overall gaming experience.

Which is a bit foolish, as Zelda games are still not RPGs. :heh:

Unless people will complain again that Zelda is not another game than Zelda. But in reverse they could complain that Xenoblade has zero puzzles.

Edited by Burny

I imagnine comparisons will be made between a vast open world to explore, full of different environments, a great story, plenty of side quests to loose yourself in etc...

Zelda will lose the story- and "vast open"-world comparison, if one were to put them side by side. The story will be an excuse for the main novelties in Skyward Sword's game mechanics and measured in "openness" and "vastness" there are precious few games that got anything on Xenoblade.

As it's Zelda though, that does not have to mean anything. The stories are always poor from a general plot point of view, but can still be well told. As Zelda is a puzzle-heavy action adventure instead of a stat based, combat-heavy RPG, a vast open world filled with the occasional monster and not much else is about the opposite of what Zelda needs.

It's probably possible to say that one world or the other is better realized, but due to the games' different nature, what makes one game great wouldn't necessarily work for the other.

Edited by Burny

People also think that making lists where they rank games from widely different genres is worthwhile, so what can you do? :blank:

I was gonna say, they're not even comparable to each other, surely? Totally different things that it seems redundant even trying! Not only that, but even trying will possibly ruin the latter game, if not both, so just...don't.

Well...it's a game that can wait, I guess. However if you got it, and gave it just 2-3 hours of your time...you'd find the rest of the time to play it just like peterl0 said. It can still wait, of course, and maybe you'll find it cheaper(assuming they keep printing it, that is ;)) but please make sure you do eventually play it, because it's something I think every gamer should have experienced. I put it in past tense, because I get the feeling it's a game that doesn't leave you. It's one of the ones you'll most certainly remember.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Haven't played this for almost a week! Had to move the wii out of my room on account of Having Shit To Do™ and worried terribly for sleep and it works pretty well but I might get back into it. That's how good this is btw Retro, and how I know you'll 'find time' for it. It's a bit russian reversal tho, you don't find time for xenoblade, Xenoblade finds time for you!

On the plus side I might getting a flu so I can trip out and sit in bed all day playing this shit instead of going to work and getting paid ohh yeaahhhh.

Need some help with a quest:

The What is Courage?! quest. I don't understand what I'm meant to do. I tried walking to the Ether mine and Satorl Marsh but nothing happened. Ewan isn't a quest member either so I don't know how your supposed to protect him.

Need some help with a quest:

The What is Courage?! quest. I don't understand what I'm meant to do. I tried walking to the Ether mine and Satorl Marsh but nothing happened. Ewan isn't a quest member either so I don't know how your supposed to protect him.

Ewan will appear on the map you first visited between the two after getting the quest. He won't appear with a ! on your map so can be hard to find. If you went to the Mine first you'll find him in the Secret are (lake I think it was), he'll be cowarering in a corner, just beat the unquie monster that appears there (Elegant Marina, I think is the name or something) then talk to Ewan afterwards.

Ewan will appear on the map you first visited between the two after getting the quest. He won't appear with a ! on your map so can be hard to find. If you went to the Mine first you'll find him in the Secret are (lake I think it was), he'll be cowarering in a corner, just beat the unquie monster that appears there (Elegant Marina, I think is the name or something) then talk to Ewan afterwards.

Thanks, found him. Can't find the enemy now :laughing:

Thanks, found him. Can't find the enemy now :laughing:

You may have killed it previous to getting the quest. That area is a Landmark so just warp there and if the Unique doesn't appear just keep warping "back" it should respawn after a few tries.

You can use that trick (or save-reload if not near a landmark) for any Unqiue Monster and even normal monsters to speed up item collecting or "kill X number of X monster"

You may have killed it previous to getting the quest. That area is a Landmark so just warp there and if the Unique doesn't appear just keep warping "back" it should respawn after a few tries.

You can use that trick (or save-reload if not near a landmark) for any Unqiue Monster and even normal monsters to speed up item collecting or "kill X number of X monster"

Aha, saved at the Lake and when I reloaded it was there. Beat it now :yay:

Gave a go at Super Bosses 114 and 120, couldn't get the kills :cry:

114 was a bitch, in preperation I stacked up on Spike Defence gems and nightvision etc. Was using 7th, Reyn and Riki as I seemed to have better results with them on previous Super Bosses. I could get the combo meter full, I could get 7th's break attack to hit but Reyn's topple attack would always miss. And if I had enough tension to get to use 7th's Topple forcing move I would of course get the topple in a combo but wouldn't get the chance to combo chain, WTF?

After nurmoerous failed attempts on 114 I then tried to get the 120 to at least appear as I'd not seen him yet. Got the snowstorm he showed up, so I thought I'd give him a go and see how I fair. What I didn't know was that he can inflict Instant Death as a spike????? How the frak am I supposed to counter that?

Still not managed to sink much time into this now, mainly cos I'm intermittently busy and worried of the things this will do to me if I start playing it again.

After nurmoerous failed attempts on 114 I then tried to get the 120 to at least appear as I'd not seen him yet. Got the snowstorm he showed up, so I thought I'd give him a go and see how I fair. What I didn't know was that he can inflict Instant Death as a spike????? How the frak am I supposed to counter that?

The google document has tips for him too. Some gem you need equiped.

Guys.. I've just finished the game. 130 hours and LV 86.

I'm blown away. I've probably played the best game ever made and I'm sad its all over. I enjoyed every moment of the game.

I thought the English VA was welldone. It sounded strange at first (having listened to the Japanese VA), but it grew on me and I wouldn't change it anyway.

I'm blown away.. the best game for 2011 imo and one of the best games ever made! WOW! The ending blew me away!

I REALLY CANT BELIEVE ITS OVER ..

What do those that have finished the game think of it??

I REALLY CANT EXPLAIN HOW SAD I AM THAT ITS ALL OVER....

A thought popped into my head while playing this last night: How awesome would it be to have some Xenoblade love in the next Smash Bros? If you could have JUST ONE character from Xenoblade in the next Smash Bros who would you choose and what moveset would you give them? Also, which location would you choose to act as a stage?

Spoiler tags at the ready!

While I love weapon based fighters in SSB (Shulk or Dunban would be pretty damn tasty in a smash bros game) I'd have to go for Riki. A small nimble fighter, with long-range magic attacks. A Attacks could just be him smacking fighters over the head with the Frog King staff thing, but his B moves would use some of his Ether/Auro moves. Roly-Poly stuns fighters for a second, freezinate freezes

:) and Yoink steals strength, agility or defense from an enemy for a fews seconds, or a trophy even.

I'd set a stage in Colony 9 during a Mechon attack, with Mechon flying around shooting at you and Metal Face rampaging in the background.

Totally gotta agree with that idea daftada, would be quite nice to see.

I still haven't got round to playing this again, I feel almost scared to, reluctant even. Like I've managed to ween myself and I'm scared of going back to being hooked on the Xenoblade Chronic!

Man Rummy, same situation, though I haven't even started yet! :o Maybe it's because summer ended already, wouldn't have the proper time to binge on this...

So I went back to it finally, and I'm a bit hooked again :D I think I need some help though...

Decided to go back to a shop to sell some shiz, realised at the same time I'd maxed out Shulk's trees so now I'm wondering...how do I get the 4th! I've already fixed Desiree's watch aaaaages ago, but is it because my Colony 9 affinity isn't good enough? I've currently got 3 stars, but when I talk to Desiree again I get nothing :(

Have you handed in the quest? All quests related to extra skill trees need to be handed in by the character who gets a new skill tree from the quest.