Release Date: 19th August Europe, 1st September Australia

Genre: Role Playing Game

Developer: Monolith Soft

Publisher: Nintendo

90%[/hr]

Trailers.png

90%[/hr]

Boxart.png

During the build up to the release of the game NoE hosted a vote that allowed customers to vote for the alternate boxart of the game. Out of a choice of four pieces of art, one was to be selected and used for the game. Here's the choices that were given to us and the results.

XenobladeVote.jpg

XenobladeBox.jpg

90%[/hr]

Gameplay.png

It has been stated that the game will convey the feeling of freedom to the player, and would not be as focused on cutscenes and story as its sibling games.

The game will attempt to convey the feeling of freedom through large, expansive environments.Xenoblade Chronicles has an action-based battle system where normal attacks will happen automatically at intervals, similar to the set up in Final Fantasy XII. However, special attacks known as arts each have their own cool down time as opposed to being on a continuous time queue with normal attacks and are performed manually by the player. Arts for each character have to be set on a "battle palette" at the bottom of the screen, which can be modified outside of battle. Movement of the character in play also needs to be executed manually with the analog stick, however this only plays an integral role when using Shulk's arts as they are more effective if used from the side or behind. Xenoblade also has the "Visions" system, where Shulk can see glimpses of the future, and the player has to try to react or prevent it from happening.

The game is known to have a number of features labeled as "Time Saving Support Features".For instance, while the game will have a day and night time cycle, players can "wind the clock" to the time they want to go to, rather than just letting time elapse. Additionally, while the game is about exploration, many warp points will be added to aid in traversing the land. The game will also sport a "save anywhere" feature, a feature relatively rare among the console RPG genre.

Another of the game's systems is the "bonds system", in which characters can partake in many optional sidequests with non-player characters. Completing such quests can alter perception of the character in the towns, and open up additional story sequences.

The game will also have extensive customization, such as being able to change the character's outfits, and having those changes be seen in battle, field, and even event scenes.

Source: Wikipedia

90%[/hr]

Screenshots.png

XenobladeSS1.jpg

XenobladeSS2.jpg

XenobladeSS3.jpg

XenobladeSS4.jpg

XenobladeSS5.jpg

XenobladeSS6.jpg

XenobladeSS7.jpg

90%[/hr]

InfoSites.png

Official NoE Site

NoE Xenoblade Chronicles Youtube Channel

90%[/hr]

Reviews.png

xenoblademini.jpg

N-Europe: 10/10

GamesTM: 9/10

IGN: 9.0

GameCentral: 9/10

The Guardian

Cubed3: 10/10

Eurogamer: 9/10

ONM: 92%

EDGE: 9/10

German GamePro: 87%

Original Threads

Monado Thread

European Release Announced Thread

Xenoblade Thread

Operation Rainfall Thead

Big thanks to RedShell for the banner/GFX!

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Just read the IGN review...and man, does this sound like a stunner of a game! :o And yeah, it's coming out on Friday! The huge world exploration sounds totally awesome...Anyway, I do have plenty of games to finish already, so we'll see...

*Great Job Hero!*

Yeah I'm very tempted to get this, however I really should spend my money on some other things atm... and I'm kinda going through a 'not really enjoying games a great deal' phase atm...

But this really does look like a great adventure... though I've never really been one for RPG's... but this does look a lot more open and free.

Not sure when I'll get it, but I'd like to think I might do at some point... we shall see.

I was about to ask why the hell a 2nd thread was made when we already had one, but top marks to HoT on that awesome first post : peace:

Got this preordered and looking forward to picking it up on friday.

I've not looked at any video since the Japanese release and have been avoiding reading ANYTHING for fear of spoilers... who knows this may very well cut into my Monster Hunter 3... currently running at 6 days a week MH3, 1 day CoD:BO, so willing to give up 2 days of MH3 for this if it's good enough, haha

I didn't want to be interested in this, but I kind of am. I've been in the mood for RPGs lately.

Do I want to spend more money I don't have? :hmm:

During the build up to the release of the game NoE hosted a vote that allowed customers to vote for the alternate boxart of the game. Out of a choice of four pieces of art, one was to be selected and used for the game. Here's the choices that were given to us and the results.

XenobladeBox.jpg

Actually, this was the winner:

XenobladeChronicles.jpg

It's a reversible cover.

Top work with the OP, gents. :bowdown:

I was tempted to pre-order with Shopto as until a few days ago, they had by far the lowest price. I noticed that Game sorted themselves out, so I've taken my business to them. I won't get a chance to start into it until Monday, so I hope you all won't have it finished over the weekend ahead of me. :wink:

Who's buying the special edition? I've just went for the disc - don't need that extra faff lying around. :heh:

I'm kinda going through a 'not really enjoying games a great deal' phase atm...

We've all been there, lad. Maybe a fresh experience like Xenoblade could reinvigorate you. :cool:

I'm disgusted with myself for deciding not to get this on release.

2 reasons:

1. A shit ton of other games to finish.

2. No monies.

I would happily piss blood for this game, though.

does the pro edition include anything else than the controller?

Three A1 posters (shockingly enough, they come in a tube instead of being folded up).

I think the reversible cover is exclusive to the pro edition as well.

I'm hoping (fingers crossed at least) that I'll be able to pick this up on Friday. May be an early morning jaunt down to the shops to get it as, even though it's a Nintendo game, I doubt there'll be many copies of it in the stores around where I live, that being the case for both the stand alone game and the CCPro bundle.

Little worried I've already satiated my RPG fix this summer as I'm currently speeding towards the end of Solatorobo (which has grown on me more and more as I've gotten deeper into it) and have DQ6 on hiatus (not too far after having done the first battle with 'Murdaw'). We'll see. If it's different and captivating enough, it shouldn't matter but with Deus Ex: Human Revolution out next week, which I'm really, really looking forward to, then it may end up taking the backseat a little.

Had this on pre-order since i heard of that American campaign. Looks like an awesome game, something the wii really need right about now.

I have this pre-ordered and paid for, currently just sitting back, waiting for it arrive... in the meantime I'm playing through Xenosaga. :)

Once it arrives though I anticipate that Xenoblade Chronicles will be the only game I play for at least a week straight, or so I hope... :p

I'm disgusted with myself for deciding not to get this on release.

2 reasons:

1. A shit ton of other games to finish.

2. No monies.

I would happily piss blood for this game, though.

Don't worry you got lots to do in Monster Hunter 3 :awesome:

Been in Portugal for two weeks, and doing a li'l catch up on the forum which once again reminds me that I really want to try out a home console RPG experience, but I'm torn between this and The Last Story....

(Even though I was certain I would be getting this)

Does Xenoblade Chronicles differ greatly from The Last Story from a gameplay perspective? What does Xenoblade Chronicles offer that The Last Story doesn't?

I'm more inclined to buy Sakaguchi's latest, but I did bought the full OST of Xenoblade Chronicles.....help?

If The Last Story is indeed being released in Europe (and it hasn't been officially announced but it does seems like it'll do so), it's not coming until next year anyway so you may as well invest here.

As for how the games differ on a gameplay perspective, I still don't understand the battle systems in either game but the one in The Last Story looks more action-RPG oriented and incorporates a cover system whereas I believe with Xenoblade, it's not quite turn based but IGN says that it takes elements of FF XII and White Knight Chronicles battles systems and brings them together (whatever that means as I've never played either).

Other than that, Xenoblade appears to have a much more open world than TLS, but then we haven't seen as much of the world in TLS.

The Last Story isn't out for ages right?! I don't really see how there's a choice right now?

Yes, I see what you mean. It's just that I have a lot of backlog I could be going through instead of Xenoblade Chronicles.

I actually do not want to buy any full-fledged piece of art untill after I finish Skyward Sword....:heh:

Ah, never mind. I'm clogging up this thread with silly thoughts.

I'll just say that the time for me to buy this game isn't now: peace:

Does Xenoblade Chronicles differ greatly from The Last Story from a gameplay perspective? What does Xenoblade Chronicles offer that The Last Story doesn't?

Yes - to both. From what I've read, both games lie at opposite ends of RPG world designs. I'm too lazy to search for all the neogaf threads I skimmed through and got the information, but the difference is essentially this:

Xenoblade is a gigantic and pretty non-linear open world RPG with a combat system reminiscent of MMORPGs. It's supposed to take 50+ hours for the main quest alone - closer to 100, if you bother with all the side quests. There are multiple towns and a large part of the game should be exploration.

The Last Story on the other hand has only one large "hub-town" and there is no world to explore - you travel straight to a dungeon in order to do quests. The main quest is supposed have duration around the 20-hour mark.

I've also read impressions stating that The Last Story has a far more chliche "standard" JRPG story and doesn't quiet hold up to Xenoblade. Without having played any of the games though, it's hard to say which one I would prefer personally. :heh:

However, the main difference is this: Xenoblade is out this Friday and you should buy it. ;)

Another Edit: This is actually the page of the Neogaf thread with a fair amount of impressions on The Last Story.

Edited by Burny

Actually, this was the winner:

XenobladeChronicles.jpg

It's a reversible cover.

I know, hence the results pic being posted about the boxarts.

I preordered this the other day at amazon as it was only £29.99 but now GAME have matched it I may aswell just get it from there.

Also, darksnowman suggested I link the older topics in the opening post. His will be done.

Looking forward this a lot. Good thing it's out in the beginning of the semester so I can skip reading with a clear consciousness.

Really hyped for this so glad it's been pushed forward.

The glowing reviews are pleasing now hopefully the sales are too.

Got an e-mail from GAME this morning saying my copy of Xenoblade was dispatched. Most of my orders with them aren't usually dispatched until Wednesday which is kinda weird. I usually get it the very next day so here's hoping a get it a few days early :P

The positivity around this game is starting to make me reconsider my position on it :hmm:

I hadn't completely dismissed it but I wasn't sure it would really be a game for me, particularly due to my indifference to Monster Hunter Tri and feeling this might fall into a similar bracket with me. All of these 9/10 score are becoming difficult to ignore, though :heh:

I hadn't completely dismissed it but I wasn't sure it would really be a game for me, particularly due to my indifference to Monster Hunter Tri and feeling this might fall into a similar bracket with me.:

What made you put a heavily story driven singleplayer open world RPG into the same box as a cooperative multiplayer score grind-fest in the first place? Lack of reading available information? :p