NEurope
Burny

Colors! 3D - THE DS homebrew application comes to the eStore

Just found this via gonintendo: Colors! is coming to the 3DS' eShop.

New features they're promising so far:

• fully integrated gallery
  • 4-player collaborative painting
  • painting in 3D

On facebook they say this:

Friends: we are happy and excited to announce Colors! 3D, coming this Fall to the Nintendo 3DS eShop. For the first time, artists will be able to create and view their own 3D paintings! We promise that you will love what you can do.

Colors! 3D will also offer real-time collaborative painting for up to four people using local Wi-Fi. Collaborative painting lets you paint with your friends with all the same depth you have when painting solo – but with more fun!

Last but not least, the Colors! Gallery will be integrated into the application, making it easy to share your creations with the community and learn from your friends' techniques.

If you want to stay in the loop on the launch of Colors! 3D, sign up to our new mailing list at http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/colors_3d_coming_soon.php. And thank you all for your support!

Even a downright port of Colors! would have been good news in my books. :)

This does sound great, I'm just waiting for Nintendo to properly do an update that allows online Pictochat or some kind of official drawing gallery thing. I need someway to contact my online friends.

This was one of my favorite homebrew apps back in the day. Some of the things that people managed to draw with it were just incredible (my paintings less so).

I look forward to see what they can do with the extra power and 3D :)

Edit: I mean :o LOOK AT THIS :o

Edited by Adthegreat

it's is supposed to be a Q2 release according to NoE's release schedule. There are also a couple of details in the new dev diary as well:

The Colors! online gallery now supports embedding of images and images (edit:) saved to the SD card are vector based. It's possible to chose resolutions up to 1600x900 when exporting.

Edited by Burny

This was one of my favorite homebrew apps back in the day. Some of the things that people managed to draw with it were just incredible (my paintings less so).

I look forward to see what they can do with the extra power and 3D :)

Edit: I mean :o LOOK AT THIS :o

That's just fucking ridiculous.:blank:

Quicker than I expected! I'm not much of an artist, but I do like Art Academy and Flipnote... Not sure if want... Kinda... Maybe...

Why is this not available yet? It's past 2pm! I thought the games where added onto the eshop at like 8am or something.

Ok... It's up there now. Expect to receive some 3D images via swapnote from me in the near future if ur on my friend list

I was just about to post a comment on here myself.

Honestly I was stunned, stunned at the quality of A LOT of the paintings on show in the gallery. Some of the work that has been produced amazed me, especially when you think of the software that it came from. I can't wait to get started myself, I also want to see what some of you people make.

Honestly I was stunned, stunned at the quality of A LOT of the paintings on show in the gallery. Some of the work that has been produced amazed me, especially when you think of the software that it came from. I can't wait to get started myself, I also want to see what some of you people make.
Yeah, this is such a slick app. icon14.gif

Seriously worth getting purely to browse the online gallery! :o

There are a few that I just couldn't believe were created using this software, but then you click on play and watch the entire process from beginning to end... That be jaw to the floor time. :heh:

Magical stuff. :bowdown:

I mean look at this one:

_81294.jpg

Simply incredible.

And this:

_82898.jpg

Craaazzy!

And if you think they look good in 2D, damn! Check 'em out on your 3DS! :eek:

I haven't been into drawing/painting for a long time, but I'm hopeful that this app will motivate me to get back into it. :grin:

Although having seen the quality of stuff like the above examples, I'm wondering if I should even attempt anything. :hmm:

Although having seen the quality of stuff like the above examples, I'm wondering if I should even attempt anything. :hmm:

No, no, no you MUST!

Considering your Pullblox levels and your collection on Flipnote to name a few, I think you'll definitely make something great. :grin:

As awesome as this is, I still prefer 'real' drawing and painting and whatnot, instead of 'digital'.

However, I do like it, but I think I'll put off on buying it mainly because there's probably something like this free on the WiiU.

However, I do like it, but I think I'll put off on buying it mainly because there's probably something like this free on the WiiU.

Sometimes, I wish for a thumbs down function. :p

;)

This'll be the first thing I get from the eShop, once I have a 3DS.

Edited by Burny

I can't draw. Don't draw. Always kind of want to draw. Yet still tempted to get this game... :)

I have £170 in credit at game, do they sell Nintendo money?! Might get some and download a few games. Can you definitely save the images and then email them, or send them through swap note?!

Can you definitely save the images and then email them, or send them through swap note?!

Yes you can save the images to your SD Card. from there you can send them via swapnote, upload them to the gallery and pretty much whatever else you can do with an image.

Yet still tempted to get this game... :)

This is no more a game than Photoshop is a game. It's a tool and you should be aware of what it does and doesn't. For one thing: It doesn't give you any instructions. At all. And of course it's infinitely more limited than something like Photoshop or even gimp.

On the other hand, that's what makes most of the appeal. It's a very simple and lean tool, but with a couple of unique features, like saving arbitrarily long "replays" of you painting the image and the gallery integration, where you can upload image and replay for everyone to see.

Edit:

This is from the homebrew days of of Colors! and still one of my absolute favorites on there:

colors_slot83.png

The application must've gotten a decent boost in popularity with its release on the eShop, otherwise that hyrule cathedrale couldn't have overtaken it in the all time rankings. ;)

Edited by Burny

Spent an hour on this last night and really enjoyed it.

I'm nowhere near as talented as some of the guys and gals in the gallery but I'm going to persevere. Tried doing a Giger Alien and it's a bit ropey but was enough to get me used to the software.

Oh and my name in the gallery is edza-IRL if anyone comes across it.

One thing I was surprised at was how quick I got a comment on the pic :) Not like everything else on Nintendo devices where you wait ages for an update (looking at you there Letterbox!)

That looks amazing Calv! I love the look on his face :laughing:

Right! Just got this app. I'm not much of an artist, but lets see what I can come up with...

My first painting:

_86125.jpg

I feel a strange urge to play Banjo Kazooie now...

Meow...

_86520.jpg

The gallery was down for maintenance earlier (when I first tried to upload the above painting), no doubt because the servers are getting absolutely hammered. :D

But yeah, it looks like this has been a real hit on the 3DS! :yay:

BTW @Calv, I checked out your other paintings (didn't realise that you'd previously used the DS version), great stuff! icon14.gif

It appears that you can't view paintings done on other platforms via the app itself though, it tells you to visit the gallery on a web browser.

*EDIT*

_87102.jpg

:grin:

Edited by RedShell

Hmm... 'tis very quiet in here. :blank:

Where all the N-E artists at? :sad:

Here are a couple of recent paintings by me:

This one was just a cheap way to get some views on my gallery: :heh:

_88946.jpg

It worked too... until it got flagged as 18+ :rolleyes:

And here's one that makes pretty good use of the 3D effect:

_89156.jpg

So check it out on the 3DS if you can.

: peace:

Edited by RedShell

Sweet. Upped the internal card to 8gb, which means i can download more shizzle. This so happens to be one of the new apps i've downloaded, doing some doodles.