NEurope
LegoMan1031

England Riots

Well I was only collecting quotes of jokes like I said I would...

look peeps, I don't want to hurt your feelings or have a shouting match. My goal in this thread is to point out racism and generally uncool shit. I think we have a lot of fun in the mafia games and I think the forum is spoiled when stuff like this happens. I didn't bring up gender in this thread, but I did call it out, and I have every right to - it's irrelevant to the topic. Read twenty pages of this thread and come back without feeling flippant, it aint easy!

Ignore that you've just accused me of doing something I didn't then. I'm not trying to start anything with you and I like you but if you're going to accuse me of saying things that I didn't I have a right to get offended - was that your plan all along? ;)

I've read all of this thread thanks. I didn't see anywhere where I told you to 'shut your big woman mouth' though.

Why is your goal in this thread to point out racism and generally uncool shit? Is that just your goal in this thread or on these forums? Can't you just respect the intelligence of others and accept that we can judge for ourselves whether something is racist or offensive? This thread is to discuss the riots and in my opinion you're just derailing it. It's fine if you want to call someone out on being racist but maybe you should post something directed at that person and not all of us? Maybe you could PM that person or give them a visitor message instead of derailing threads?

I can see for myself if something is racist, I do not need someone else to tell me I should be offended.

*waits for post saying 'oh no, that's not what I was doing' - I'm sure it probably wasn't but that's how it has come across.

I saw Dwarf's post. I groaned and ignored it. I trust others did the same.

@Yvonne: I see bad jokes that do not show actual racism by the poster (though Dwarf's could've fooled us). The last one is also clearly meant to be ironic, even if the choice of words is dubious.

Grazza's post wasn't racist or in jest. It was just an opinion on mass immigration (with which I disagree).

This. I agree 100% with this. Jonnas, you need to stop being in my brain all the time. :heh:

Yvonne, can you not just keep the "pointing out" to things that offend you and let the ones offended by the other things point those ones out?

Ramar - I didn't say most, I just said I'd collect "jokes"

Happenstance - Nothing complex, I was just mentioning that whatever my gender is, it isn't relevant to this debate, but me saying that was enough to annoy peeps.

I'm pretty sure I didn't send anyone a death threat...

Ramar - I didn't say most, I just said I'd collect "jokes"

Happenstance - Nothing complex, I was just mentioning that whatever my gender is, it isn't relevant to this debate, but me saying that was enough to annoy peeps.

I'm pretty sure I didn't send anyone a death threat...

Depending on what you define a fucktonne, drinking bleach is fatal.

Sorry, didn't see you there Grunchy.

Thread - Rip?

(sigh)...

I didn't mean to derail.

As for London, things seem relatively normal bar mass boardering of windows ala Tesco. Funny, the streets are eerily free of tracksuit hoody wearing, four pitbulls-on-a-leash youth... But general people are treating everyone with kindness. The ignorance is there, but most seem to value community coming together against this violence.

Yes but all he did was ask you, quite nicely by the way to not jump on every mention of gender or woman. It may have not been relevant but it wasnt irrelevant either, it was just a word and not one that was used in any negative way.

You however came back with a lie, claiming he said something he didnt. If people believed you then it would make peeps look pretty bad in all this.

EDIT: Sorry grunch, was typing this while you posted that.

I liked this thread more when it was about riots. :(

So...it didn't hit Bournemouth. Hurrah.

*internet high-five for Serebii and 'Dohnut*

Ramar - I didn't say most, I just said I'd collect "jokes".

No King_V did.

I point out fucked up shit wherever I see it, it's part of being All In as an ally to oppressed people, even when it doesn't directly affect me. I'm not trying to "clean up" the forum, just it seems wherever I turn I see some ugliness. I don't believe I'm going to change anyone by doing what I'm doing, but to not point these things out is to concede that these things have changed me. Anyway, I hope you haven't taken my posts as intending harm, I really do want us all to get along. This is just who I am.

That's reassuring news, a girl from my work is in London for the weekend, and I had imagined that all the shops would be smashed up.

The touristy areas are completely unaffected as far as I could see. Maybe a few extra Police around (although I think there was the same amount as usual).

The areas that were effected by the riots (we had to travel pretty far to get to them from central London) are in pretty good shape. Or at least the ones we saw were. Most of the shops are still open. It's like a giant "fuck you" to the looters.

there's been so many facebook "pages" (or er likes?) about this that its unreal... even northern Ireland is jumping on the bandwagon.. including "Moving from London to Belfast to get away from the troubles" which really made me laugh... just a little :p It seems to be a bit of a non reaction here, but then so's most riots or bomb scares in this country.. even when its on your doorstep.

I do think its lovely to see people trying to help with cleaning and stuff. Really shows how the good people in every community pull together to help one another. A good majority of people are like that in here and all over the UK, its just a bit sad that the minority (not ethnic minority, in a quantative meaning!!) like to ruin things for people :( Its gonna be hard for people to come back from this, especially the likes of sole traders who've had their shops burned out... most people are struggling without a huge loss like that.

On a slightly different note: Did I notice people saying that the police over there don't really carry guns? That's a bit of an alien concept!! It's pretty commonplace here for officers to have guns all of the time.. and I'm pretty sure they're bulletproofed to the hilt... I'll never forget walking past an officer once with a fucking BIG badass gun across his chest... none o those handguns for him, a proper big rifle... scary biscuits!!!

Edited by Raining_again

On a slightly different note: Did I notice people saying that the police over there don't really carry guns? That's a bit of an alien concept!! It's pretty commonplace here for officers to have guns all of the time.. and I'm pretty sure they're bulletproofed to the hilt... I'll never forget walking past an officer once with a fucking BIG badass gun across his chest... none o those handguns for him, a proper big rifle... scary biscuits!!!

Correct, police do not carry guns as standard, just baton, gas and cuffs. Some have taser as well but only in small number.

Each force has their own firearms division that vary in size depending on the area.

I love the posts being made by The Peeps.

I point out fucked up shit wherever I see it, it's part of being All In as an ally to oppressed people, even when it doesn't directly affect me. I'm not trying to "clean up" the forum, just it seems wherever I turn I see some ugliness. I don't believe I'm going to change anyone by doing what I'm doing, but to not point these things out is to concede that these things have changed me. Anyway, I hope you haven't taken my posts as intending harm, I really do want us all to get along. This is just who I am.

The world is ugly. To lessen ill effects, apply sense of humour :hehe:

--

Raining: I feel so sorry for the businesses too, my parents run their own business and imagining all of their hard work being smashed up in a senseless riot is horrifying :/

Correct, police do not carry guns as standard, just baton, gas and cuffs. Some have taser as well but only in small number.

Each force has their own firearms division that vary in size depending on the area.

That's such an odd thing... Our police stations are very different over here too. Our local one is fortified with a wall that could possibly be about a metre thick, and bulletproof glass etc... much like...this:

20030408-Belfast-policestation01.jpg

You strange people and your unprotected police force! :p

That's such an odd thing... Our police stations are very different over here too. Our local one is fortified with a wall that could possibly be about a metre thick, and bulletproof glass etc... much like...this:

20030408-Belfast-policestation01.jpg

You strange people and your unprotected police force! :p

Well here is one of ours in Cheshire...

stockton_heath_police_station_030227.JPG

Just reading that two people have been charged with the murders in birmingham related to the riots and that police have arrested (but not charged as yet) a man in relation to the large building that was burnt down in London.

Edited by Mike1988uk

Your one looks like a maximum security prison.

Do you have "normal" police stations in the south?

Do you have "normal" police stations in the south?

Normal as in " look like prisons? Haven't seen any.

NP: No, I am not talking personally to you - In all honesty I care very little about you, or anyone else on these boards for that matter

God dude. We put you on a pedestal and worship you, you instigate the creation of one of the most historical and epic threads on this forum and you make this hurtful comment. I am crai. I am crrraaaaiiiiil. But seriously, I love you I hope you feel strongly for some of us.

you and your designs.

I think I'm misinterpreting this portion. You're talking about his views and such, right?

Sky news did a interview with a few lads who have admitted to 'looting' and given there reasons for doing so.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/16049147

Or i have found a youtube link:

So what are peoples thoughts on their 'reasons'?

Looting a place who didn't respond to your job application is actually the best reason I've heard so far. Obviously it still barely scrapes a 1 on the 1-10 scale of "Should I loot this place".

well in the interest of good humour, I give you this:

what the police report said:

what the public demanded:

what the government promised:

what I predict will happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op36hxdGA8U&t=51s

(youtube tags were acting up, not sure why)

Edited by Yvonne