NEurope
MoogleViper

Avira, Avast or AVG

Ok so I've just got my new computer up and running, and was wondering which AV to go for. I've always used AVG but was wondering if there was any reason to switch to another.

And no odders I'm not going with any protection.

Personally, if you're using a Genuine copy of Windows, I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, since it's very lightweight in terms of resource usage, it never annoyes you trying to make you buy a full copy, and it's fantastic when it comes to virus detection.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Avast, since again it's lightweight (not as much as MSE, but it's still something) and it's great with virus detection.

Personally I'd recommend complete the opposite.

(tho on the more serious note, I did get Comodo on someone's recommendation recently and it seems nice enough. I barely notice it and have no idea whether it's doing a good or bad job, but that's maybe just cos I don't come across much virally)

Answer would be comodo. Most people I've convinced to try it out seem to like it enough. Rock solid firewall, HIPS and antivirus rolled into one. Sandboxing for questionable programs so that they can't do damage, plus it's free. I've never had a virus so I haven't been able to put it to the test but you can find in depth reviews on youtube.

I had been happy with Avast (once you turn off the sounds... ugh) from the day I first got it (years ago) until about a week ago. When a "Summer Saver - go pro for $9.99!" advert popped up.

I mean... what?

This program is supposed to protect me from that kind of shit.

MSE.

I stopped using AVG Free when I got a pop-up asking to buy the full one. Moved to MSE.

Another MSE user here. I love the way you can just install it and forget about it. I do a scan about once a fortnight and that's it, I neither hear nor see it on any other occasion.

I use MSE as well. Its not as fully featured as something like Avast (which I installed on my grandparents computer for some of the remote access capabilities it has), but it works fine and you barely notice it.

Microsoft Security Essentials. You install it and forget about it. All updates even come through normal Windows Update so there's no extra updating or bullshit you have to ever think about.

So get rid of avast and have MSE or have both?
Just have the one. Having more than one anti-virus can sometimes causes nasty, nasty conflicts. And plus, it's just pointless, really.

Does MSE eliminate the need for an anti-spyware, or is it best to have a separate one anyway?

MS has Windows Defender, which does a pretty good job in preventing spyware. It runs nicely with MSE, not that i wouldn't trust MSE on it's own.