NEurope
Yvonne

another reason not to get battlefield 3

Battlefield was probably the only arabshooterâ„¢ type game I deigned to buy, since I enjoyed the squad based combat and well executed vehicles, even if they overpower the american weapons out of all proportion (pretty sure that 16 would have jammed by now, buddy). I was on the fence when I heard about having to use their own system to play online (rather than something awesome like steam) but now, that game can kiss my chuddies:

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=5811

"A large launch party and LAN for Battlefield 3 is being held in Texas, and women are disallowed from attending in order to protect them from misogynistic insults. While the original text in the FAQ has now been removed, the FAQ declared that women are not invited with the following statement:

"Nothing ruins a good LAN party like uncomfortable guests or lots of tension, both of which can result from mixing immature, misogynistic male-gamers with female counterparts. Though we’ve done our best to avoid these situations in years past, we’ve certainly had our share of problems. As a result, we no longer allow women to attend this event.â€"

I can get why they'd do something like that at the same time it's wrong.

If you've been to a big LAN (not round a mates house) you'd know that there's some proper basement dwellers who'd give some birds grief.

First reason was I wasn't so hot on using origin over steam.

The right thing to do is to ban basement dwelling behaviour, not women.

The right thing to do is to ban basement dwelling behaviour, not women.

Not really. Banning basement dwellers will have a far greater reduction in numbers than banning women.

Well that depends on your values. If you want numbers whatever the cost, you might be able to argue that. If you want to be seen as not a total bag of pricks, you instead want an environment where everyone is welcome to play.

But it being a new game launch, I would question how much a neckbeard asshole will stick to his misogyny-guns when what he really wants to do is play the new game. I don't think there'll be any shortage of players, and capitulating this readily to the imagined demands of the stereotype sexist gamer is offensive to the men who play games and don't hate women, as well, of course, to the women who don't want to be treated as second class people. I think it speaks volumes about the assumptions made of gamers as a community.

And you have to wonder about the point of numbers - in the long run, is this going to help you, really? I find it a really weak argument for a really poor decision. It's like making your game highly expensive - the sales you do get will give you more money, but you will probably make less sales, because you've gone and excluded a very large group of people. So it doesn't even make sense really from any perspective.

I really believe gamers have the potential to be cool to eachother, but they buy into this bullshit too easily.

What if you were a girl in texas, eager to play the new installment of this franchise? Wouldn't you be pissed off? Wouldn't you think you had the same right as any other person to be there?

You're complaining that in a game where you take down skyscrapers with rocket launchers, the weapons don't realistically jam? And after that trying to proposition/ insinuate that this is some sort of nationalist propaganda? You are a silly silly person.

But I sort of agree that the whole female exclusion thing is absurd, but I have no idea about the Texan demographic, just the fact that every single american gamer with a southern accent I've come across online has be an intolerant, beliggerant asshole.

It's not coming out on Steam. I stopped caring at this point.

But I sort of agree that the whole female exclusion thing is absurd, but I have no idea about the Texan demographic, just the fact that every single american gamer with a southern accent I've come across online has be an intolerant, beliggerant asshole.

Texas is pretty much the worst place, except for Houston which has a huge Atheist convention.

Well that depends on your values. If you want numbers whatever the cost, you might be able to argue that. If you want to be seen as not a total bag of pricks, you instead want an environment where everyone is welcome to play.

But it being a new game launch, I would question how much a neckbeard asshole will stick to his misogyny-guns when what he really wants to do is play the new game. I don't think there'll be any shortage of players, and capitulating this readily to the imagined demands of the stereotype sexist gamer is offensive to the men who play games and don't hate women, as well, of course, to the women who don't want to be treated as second class people. I think it speaks volumes about the assumptions made of gamers as a community.

And you have to wonder about the point of numbers - in the long run, is this going to help you, really? I find it a really weak argument for a really poor decision. It's like making your game highly expensive - the sales you do get will give you more money, but you will probably make less sales, because you've gone and excluded a very large group of people. So it doesn't even make sense really from any perspective.

I really believe gamers have the potential to be cool to eachother, but they buy into this bullshit too easily.

What if you were a girl in texas, eager to play the new installment of this franchise? Wouldn't you be pissed off? Wouldn't you think you had the same right as any other person to be there?

Well I do agree that having girls there wouldn't have ruined it, but I'm basing on the assumption (based on their reasoning) that it would.

This really won't ruin their image. Most gamers are male, and the vast majority of FPS gamers are male. So not only are they excluding a very small section of their customer base, most people won't even hear of this, so it won't make much of a difference.

From what I can see this is a private event and not an official one, so I'm not sure why you're going to let it keep you from buying the game. :hmm:

I'm not sure why you're going to let it keep you from buying the game. :hmm:

boycott_fail.jpg

Look, there are certain situations in which everyone that exists will find themselves marginalised for whatever reason. Picking a bone with possibly the most reactionary, insane demographic in the world (teenage male gamers from southern USA), is nothing more than you looking for a stimulus for your own reactionary inclinations. From what I can tell, they are doing it to protect chicks from being hit on/ picked on, that doesn't excuse the core audience for this game from being idiots, but shit is what it is.

I don't know how much can be aimed at the game itself. I'm assuming the LAN would have been organised by an external marketing company, even if EA did pay for it.

More disappointing is the assumption that it's OK to be a massive dick when playing games online, whether its to a male or female. The fact that there are people that choose to spend their free time spouting abuse at randoms makes me lose a little more faith in people in general.

More disappointing is the assumption that it's OK to be a massive dick when playing games online, whether its to a male or female. The fact that there are people that choose to spend their free time spouting abuse at randoms makes me lose a little more faith in people in general.

Yeah totally, but I don't think the events surrounding the promotion of this game are the right battlefield (trollolol) for the dispute between the sane and the online assholes to take place. They've had to make the uncomfortable decision between finding a way to accomodate those that they assume will be marginalised, and who they deem their core audience will be.

Edited by The Bard

Also LOL at that image aimless. Those spineless fucks :)

Wish I could thank...

To contribute some actual words to this topic, not allowing females into the event seems rather silly. I don't doubt there's potential for a certain amount of unpleasantness aimed at any girls that do decide to go — although you'll find that online arseholes aren't so brave face-to-face — but I think it's up to the individual whether they're willing to put up with that.

I get that the organisers are hoping to curb after the fact complaints, but they're just avoiding the issue, not confronting it. Not to say there's an easy solution when a good chunk of your event's demographic see their ability at a game as a virtual extension of their genitalia, but just because something's difficult doesn't mean you can bury your head in the sand.

Generally speaking I don't think there's a huge imbalance between the way both male and female gamers are treated online. Obviously the latter have to put up with taunts charged with misogyny — or worse, the world's most inept chat up attempts — but outside of playing with friends I can't recall a single time anyone has addressed me without attaching boringly predictable insults. In other words the arseholes treat both sexes differently, but only insofar as they dish out divergent brands of witless trash talk.

Battlefield was probably the only arabshooterâ„¢ type game I deigned to buy, since I enjoyed the squad based combat and well executed vehicles, even if they overpower the american weapons out of all proportion (pretty sure that 16 would have jammed by now, buddy). I was on the fence when I heard about having to use their own system to play online (rather than something awesome like steam) but now, that game can kiss my chuddies:

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=5811

"A large launch party and LAN for Battlefield 3 is being held in Texas, and women are disallowed from attending in order to protect them from misogynistic insults. While the original text in the FAQ has now been removed, the FAQ declared that women are not invited with the following statement:

"Nothing ruins a good LAN party like uncomfortable guests or lots of tension, both of which can result from mixing immature, misogynistic male-gamers with female counterparts. Though we’ve done our best to avoid these situations in years past, we’ve certainly had our share of problems. As a result, we no longer allow women to attend this event.â€"

You are a very sad person. As if anyone is going to overlook a game because they banned birds from attending some LAN party. No one cares, this game will sell millions.

She's a very sad person because she's not buying the game after the event managers banned all women from it?

I don't see it.

It's not coming out on Steam. I stopped caring at this point.

Do you ever stop gassing?