NEurope
Aneres11

What song(s) are you really into at the moment?!

Yves Tumor dropped an EP the other week and this has been a regular play for me from it:

The video should probably come with a photosensitivity warning but I love the visuals of it and the song is fantastic. They continue to put out some great stuff coming off of the back of their last album.

Similarly loving this track from Brothertiger:

And finally, so happy that The War on Drugs have a new album coming out I  October. Have been waiting for something new from them as I loved A Deeper Understanding (Pain and Nothing To Find are just incredible tracks). They've led off with a softer sound on the first track from the album but its still great:

Also, Blue Weekend by Wolf Alice has been getting a lot of play from me. Lipstick On The Glass and How Can I Make It OK? as well as The Beach II are so good.

Edited by Ganepark32

A while ago Spotify recommended something very on brand; an Italian cover of a Disney song. It's nice to listen to every now and then 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I didn't understand the hype, then got obsessed with this song. Good choice! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nightwolf said:

I didn't understand the hype, then got obsessed with this song. Good choice! 

There's about 3-4 good songs on this, but goes downhill towards the end. Other specials are better.

• Like 1

Been listening to this a lot lately in part because I want it on my Spotify end of year playlist but also because its the vibes I want right now (even if the lyrics don't quite match the sunny setting).

4 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Goosebumps, all the feels.

If you like that, you might enjoy Jonathan Young on YouTube he does a lot of similar covers in a similar range. 

After 6 years the new Iron Maiden album is finally here! It always feels like a special day when they release a new album.

First single (came out some weeks ago):

And the full album can be found on Spotify/YouTube as well.

• Like 1

Managed to get a few listens in to the album yesterday. Great stuff but lacking an absolute epic in the vein of When the Wild Wind Blows or Benjamin Breeg. Yes, there are some long songs on there, but nothing on that level. Though maybe it just needs a few more listens. Really enjoyed Death of the Celts even though it’s pretty much The Clansman II. Not keen on The Time Machine or Lost in a Lost World though.

Of the six post reunion albums, I’d probably rank this 4th. AMOLAD top, then FF, BNW, Senjutsu, Book of Souls, Dance of Death. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm almost done with my first listen, it takes a while but that's not a bad thing. :grin: So far the songs that stand out are The Writing On The Wall, Days Of Future Past and Death Of The Celts. But with these new Maiden songs they definitely need to sink in a bit.

Interesting to see A Matter Of Life And Death at the top of your modern Maiden list! Something you don't see very often. My list would be (leaving out Senjutsu):

• The Final Frontier (When The Wild Winds Blow is indeed one of the best newer Maiden songs)
  • Dance of Death
  • Book of Souls
  • A Matter Of Life And Death
  • Brave New World (I got into Maiden around the time of Dance of Death, so this album always went by me a bit and is one of the reasons I rank Dance of Death quite high)
  • Like 2

A Matter of Life and Death is wonderful. Some superb songs on there - I’d say the last four songs on that album are up there with anything they’ve ever done. Book of Souls would be better if it were just the first half (up to and including the title track) plus Empire of the Clouds at the end. The other songs like Death or Glory and Man of Sorrow are pretty much filler.

I remember getting Seventh Son on vinyl when it came out. I was about 10 and listened to it pretty much every day so that’s probably my favourite Maiden album of all time. Closely followed by Powerslave and Piece of Mind. Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a masterpiece. 

Edited by Dog-amoto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gave Kanye West's Donda a listen to yesterday.

Animated GIF

I thought it was finally time to take a deep breath and give this a go yesterday. I'm not going to give my thoughts on every individual track, because there's near-30 of the fuckers, and nobody has time to read that.
The first track is...I don't even know what it is.
The first minute of Jail actually had me feeling a tinge of optimism that there may be some good in this album. But then, it just doesn't go anywhere. There's a good song in there somewhere, but it sounds like he jumped into recording that when he had, say, a quarter of the song. He had idea 1, but should have waited for ideas 2,3 and 4 before finishing it. It's the most frustrating thing on the album for me because you're waiting for something to happen next, but then it just doesn't. The ultimate insult is that there's a part 2 to Jail, which...is another 5 minutes of nothing. The frustrating thing is that it could have been something. You're about a minute or a minute and a half into the song and you have the inclination to believe that it's going to move on, or the drums will kick in, or some other new exciting element will be added...but nope.

Unfortunately, I found the rest of the album like that. It's...just very dull. There's no movement there. It's quite empty and doesn't really have a place. There's no catharsis there, no singalong factor, no ability to dance to it or nod your head to it, and other special moments. There are small ideas littered throughout the album, but no "whole" ideas.

I have to talk about the amount of writers and producers because...it's utterly, fucking ridiculous. Jail alone has 8 writers and 6 producers. How?! Hurricane has 13 writers and 7 producers...The section on the album's wikipedia where they list the writers and producers is like an essay! When you take all of that into consideration, the amount of people, talent, and how expensive that must have made it to put together, this is nothing but disappointing. You would expect a lot more than what is on the record. I wouldn't even class it as minimalism or stripped back. How can you have that amount of personnel working on an album and class it as minimalism. It's failed extravagance.

I had huge reservations about the length of the album and the amount of tracks before listening. My thoughts on the album length and how this hinders the replayability remain the same. I'm in no rush to go through all of that again, for seemingly little reward.

Yeah I stopped listening to him a few albums back (maybe even the last one? No idea how many he's released). Seems I'm not missing much.

Remember Rebecca Black? She's still making music, I found out when I saw she was coming to Amsterdam for a concert.

So for shits and giggles I checked her recent work out.

• The first I checked, Personal, I didn't like.
  • The 2nd and 3rd, Girlfriend and some remix of Sweetheart, that's a lot better.
  • Then the 4th..

This one I was like "alright, I'll put you on my Spotify playlist".

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2021 at 7:47 PM, Sméagol said:

Remember Rebecca Black? She's still making music, I found out when I saw she was coming to Amsterdam for a concert.

So for shits and giggles I checked her recent work out.

• The first I checked, Personal, I didn't like.
  • The 2nd and 3rd, Girlfriend and some remix of Sweetheart, that's a lot better.
  • Then the 4th..

This one I was like "alright, I'll put you on my Spotify playlist".

Did you purposely wait till a Friday to post that or is it just a happy coincidence? 🙃

• Like 1

The War On Drugs released their latest track from their new album out at the end of October and its fantastic:

I liked Living Proof, the first track off of their new album, and I was already excited for a new album as I'm a big fan of the band (their previous two albums are so good) but this new song really has me hyped for the new album. I love the 80s tinges throughout, the backing vocals by Lucius during the chorus are a lovely touch as well, the general beat is catchy and lyrically its another great solid song by the band. October 29th can't come soon enough as if they keep up that quality, it'll be one of the best of the year.