NEurope
Aneres11

What song(s) are you really into at the moment?!

This is my absolute favourite song off her album.

I never heard the original but this is so good I don't even care about it haha.

(That's bad, I know!) But yeah virtual hi-five for posting this. :heh:: peace:

Oh and do not hesitate downloading the album. It is absolutely brilliant.

Original is by Fleet Foxes. I listened to both versions on the way into work this morning. The original, in my opinion now, doesn't have the same feeling compared to Birdys version. It is still good, i have no doubt about that.

Original is by Fleet Foxes. I listened to both versions on the way into work this morning. The original, in my opinion now, doesn't have the same feeling compared to Birdys version. It is still good, i have no doubt about that.

Really? I think the original is a lot nicer and has a lot more going for it. This version just sounds like a small Christmas Choir singing in a church or something...

I do like her voice, but I'm not a huge fan of this song (compared to the original).

Does she do any original songs or is it all covers on her album?

I know she's done Skinny Love from Bon Iver, which I did like.

Really? I think the original is a lot nicer and has a lot more going for it. This version just sounds like a small Christmas Choir singing in a church or something...

I do like her voice, but I'm not a huge fan of this song (compared to the original).

She has an original song (or two) on the album, forget what it is called though.

Birdy lacks the punch that Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver have in their original songs.

It's good but sort of empty, I'm not feeling it.

Those two songs I love though so she can't compare. I like her album however and want more of her own songs in the future. :)

She has one song that is original - called 'Without a Word' which is a great song.

She will be releasing an album of original stuff soon, but wanted to test the water and be a normal girl (exams and stuff) before that, so released this first. Think she was also one of these YouTube sensations, covering other peoples songs which led to this.

I like her album however and want more of her own songs in the future. :)

See above :heh::D

Here is the original song - this is a Demo version. The album version has virtually been ruined by the producers. But this kind of shows her immense talent:

Edited by Aneres11

Oh cool, yeah I definitely like her style and do like the album but I had to stop listening to skinny love half way through and actually listen to the original.

The other songs since I don't know as well as the previous two mentioned I'm not that fussed. :)

On a major M83 binge at the moment. Some favourites:

Saturdays = Youth is such an incredible album, as is Digital Shades Vol. 1 (although all the albums are worth a listen really). Just really love to sit back and have the soundscapes wash over me. Perfect example of why getting a proper pair of headphones is a must for music lovers.

Need to get around to listening to the new album, though. Only heard Midnight City and that's starting to lose it's appeal a little.

I'm with both Ine and Coolness and side with the Fleet Foxes. Birdy clearly has a nice voice, but that's not enough for me. Music has to be soulful and it needs to fill the room. The Fleet Foxes original feels like it's lighting up the whole room, whereas I feel nothing from the Birdy cover. Not really compelled to listen to it again.

Anyway, the Fleet Foxes are one of "Ine's Bands" that she made me listen to a while back, and I've loved them ever since. Never heard a bad or below par song from them. I urge you all to listen to them.

I'm with both Ine and Coolness and side with the Fleet Foxes. Birdy clearly has a nice voice, but that's not enough for me. Music has to be soulful and it needs to fill the room. The Fleet Foxes original feels like it's lighting up the whole room, whereas I feel nothing from the Birdy cover. Not really compelled to listen to it again.

Anyway, the Fleet Foxes are one of "Ine's Bands" that she made me listen to a while back, and I've loved them ever since. Never heard a bad or below par song from them. I urge you all to listen to them.

Well the original is always better.

But the girl is 15.

Pixie Lott has a nice voice. Katy Perry has a nice voice. But Birdy is a bit more than that, and I think the one original song she has showcased shows that massively.

Though I take your point that it is very different from the original, and to most people, not as good.

In other news, have been listening to Pixie Lott's new album on Spotify (not worth a purchase :grin:) and I am loving this song from her:

It's nothing special - but for some reason I just really like the chorus!

:hehe:

Pixie Lott just epitomises The Dull British Pop Scene to me. It sounds like walking down an unremarkable street in Generic Town in the UK feels like.

Can be reasonably enjoyable - I sortof like All About Tonight after being bombarded with it, but the effect is wearing off.

---

Since Tori Amos has apparently come good and returned to being good again after a few years of being cringe-worthy, I've fallen back in love. There is nothing more visceral than Boys for Pele or as sonically implacable/unplaceable as From The Choirgirl Hotel.

I only JUST heard/saw this for the first time and am struck all over again. Loved the song on the album but live she's combined it with Tubular Bells (from The Exorcist) and Smalltown Boy by Bronksi Beat. HER EYES/HER HANDS. Her complete control and energy. Wow.

I'm currently doing the rounds on PJ Harvey (specifically her new album).

Although I never paid much attention beforehand to Florence & The Machine -- their second album is such a must have. I'm wiped away by the sounds, imagery and themes. I mean...a song on Virginia Woolf's suicide?! Hold Me.

Breaking down is the best. All A-LO-OH-OWN.

Currently listening to the U2 for the first time in about 6 years and decided to actually try one of their albums rather than the greatest hits. Can't stop listening to the opener from The Unforgettable Fire:

Currently listening to the U2 for the first time in about 6 years and decided to actually try one of their albums rather than the greatest hits. Can't stop listening to the opener from The Unforgettable Fire:

The Unforgettable Fire album is class. Bad is a personal favourite of mine off that album.

I do love the music created by Joshua Radin. Such simplicity, yet so endearing.

I kept seeing the album on the end of shelves in HMV/seeing it crop up, as though it was to be taken notice of. I suddenly thought, "Wait, is a Selena Gomez album being considered good?" (I'd never listened to her before). Her name does seem to include a band, which perhaps suggest more integrity.

Anyway, it's just standard pop in every way, I was tricked. But I like the wobble wobble of this. It's phat - it feel like muscles tensing in my most sensitive areas. *bops along*

More worth listening to...

One of those songs you just don't know where it came from. It can't be from this dimension. Originally meant to be in Blue Velvet by David Lynch (*orgasmic gasp at the mere mention*) but This Mortal Coil were being rude. Then it showed up in Lovely Bones (I don't remember). But yeah, a song I think most people in the universe/this board would agree is gorgeous/haunting. No one will listen to it though.

The War On Drugs are my new besties. Absolutely ace band, if you have a taste for Americana (which you totally should)

The War On Drugs are my new besties. Absolutely ace band, if you have a taste for Americana (which you totally should)

Yeeeaaaahh! :D

They're great. Been listening to them quite a lot recently, been through the album a few times and started recommending some of the tracks to various people I know. Baby Missiles <3

Since Fleet Foxes were mentioned before and they just posted their new video... Which I think looks amazing! I'm not 100% sure what's going on and it's a bit dark, but I love it! Such beautiful animation. =D

Edited by Eenuh

Yeeeaaaahh! :D

They're great. Been listening to them quite a lot recently, been through the album a few times and started recommending some of the tracks to various people I know. Baby Missiles <3

Yeah I caught them live in Sheffield- friend of mine interviewed Joe the lead singer and apparently he's really sound too. Great band anyway, I've gotten really in to the Slave Ambient record since.