NEurope
jayseven

Norway Madness

So far it's only one idiot, although witnesses on the island claimed they heard two shooters, the other one not in police uniform.

The killer gave up and put his weapons down as soon as the police came without them having to fire any shots. Pathetic coward. He should have killed himself.

Police is still looking for 4-5 missing people, possible bringing the death count to 97.

He used his police uniform to lure people closer only to kill them up close. When the kids were running around the island to save themselves, he claimed he was from the rescue company and shot them dead when they came towards him. After he was done on the island he started shooting at the ones who tried to swim to the main land. One picture shows him walking casually along the shore with a dozen bodies around him. I can't believe how sick this person it is, it's one thing killing, another killing kids, but doing it up close and strolling over their bodies to make sure they're dead doesn't have words to cover it.

Edited by Tales

He used his police uniform to lure people closer only to kill them up close. When the kids were running around the island to save themselves, he claimed he was from the rescue company and shot them dead when they came towards him. After he was done on the island he started shooting at the ones who tried to swim to the main land. One picture shows him walking casually along the shore with a dozen bodies around him. I can't believe how sick this person it is, it's one thing killing, another killing kids, but doing it up close and strolling over their bodies to make sure they're dead doesn't have words to cover it.

Absolutely horrendous. Its so....fucking enraging.

Terrible news to come home to. Hope these attacks don't continue, and that everyone in Norway stays safe.

(I find referring to the gunman as nutter/idiot/insane takes away from the severity of the situation, trivialises it. To grant someone the liberty of insanity or stupidity is almost defending them. Attack them for what they are: a calculated human being.)

Oh, he's definitely not insane. He's a person with fucked up values and an abhorrent disrespect for human life.

Highest prison sentence we can give him is 21 years....

Isn't there some way the sentence can be can be renewed if he's declared insane? I take it Norway doesn't have consecutive sentences.

(I find referring to the gunman as nutter/idiot/insane takes away from the severity of the situation, trivialises it. To grant someone the liberty of insanity or stupidity is almost defending them. Attack them for what they are: a calculated human being.)

Interesting point. Well said.

Is there any way to keep him alive longer to keep him in prison longer? This is far worse than killing 1 person but will have similar consequences :(

Isn't there some way the sentence can be can be renewed if he's declared insane? I take it Norway doesn't have consecutive sentences.
It is possible to get life in prison, but it's renewed every 5 years. But legaly maks, 21 years, plus 21 years confinment, but it's rare. Edited by Tales

On the "21 years" thing, a Norwegian on another site says this:

No way, 21 is the max sentence. But you can sit for life, no way that he will walk free again.

I am not sure about the english word, but its called "Forvaring" http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forvaring

Google translate: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fno.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FForvaring&act=url

Doesn't look like they'll have any problem locking him up for life.

Oh, he's definitely not insane. He's a person with fucked up values and an abhorrent disrespect for human life.

Surely the self-justification, the ability to disconnect from what you've done must be considered insane. These are more than 'values', to find any kind of verification for them there must be a level of delusion.

Surely the self-justification, the ability to disconnect from what you've done must be considered insane. These are more than 'values', to find any kind of verification for them there must be a level of delusion.

Well, I'm no expert on psychiatry, so I'm not sure how they classify insanity. I know that clinical psychopaths are completely incapable of feeling empathy, but I don't know if people who are capable of doing deeds such as this are necessarily clinical psychopaths.

I don't think being a psychopath would qualify him for what Wikipedia seems to translate to "Involuntary Commitment".

Psych ward? No, he won't. He's mentally ill obviously, but not bang-his-head-at-the-wall ill.

The total dead is 93, 7 from the bomb and 86 from the shooting. 31 serious or critical injured and 4 or 5 missing.

Insane, nuts, delusional, it barely covers it. He's going to a special place in Hell, if Hell even lets him in.

Edited by Tales

I agree with Dannyboy, here. I don't think there's a single shred of insanity or mental illness in him. He seems quite sane. He's just an extremist with some very wrong values.

Again, this just reiterates my extreme belief that the purchase of any weapons shouldn't be allowed by law in any circumstance whatsoever. 86 lives would've been spared in this situation.

There's a movement online that's trying to deny him a platform - he's obviously a political extremist and not mentally ill so they want him ignored during his trial when he'll obviously want to express his views. On one hand, I agree. He's got nothing to say, really. His ideas expressed thus far are delusional and ridiculous. On the other hand- how many of these guys ever get arrested? It usually ends with suicide or being shot to death. I'm kind of curious to see what makes him tick. It's like the war crimes trials in a way- when you're confronted by pure hate like this, don't declare them a nut and hide; stare in to it, examine it and at least try and understand it because you might be able to learn from it and stop it happening again.

From the custody hearing:

I had to save Norway and Western Europe from Muslim takeover. The aim of the assassination was to give a symbol to the people. The Labour party has betrayed the country and the people. The price for the pay they received yesterday, Judge Kim Heger referred from the hearing.

Right....

I'll never forget this picture. The evil is barely comprehensible.

88-98cf2964-6d39afb3.jpeg

The local election competition, rally, or whatever it's called in English is going to be delayed until mid August, with election as normal in September.

Edited by Tales

4 weeks of solitary confinement...

and apparently 2 accomplices.

8 weeks total, which is the limit, has to be renewed at the end. Solitary confinment is just in the beginning for the police investigation.

Police adjusted the number of deaths to 68 on the island and 8 in Oslo.

I first heard this while on holidays. I was under the impression that he actually killed a few prominent politicians in that island, but it was actually a youth movement? Just...argh...

Even more sickening is the link someone posted here, with right-wing newspapers, first condemning the arab group that might've been responsible for the attacks, then later trying to actually justify the man's actions after they learned his alignment... It's the ugliest facet of human hypocrisy.

On the bright side, I do hope this event darkens the image of right-wing extremists everywhere.

Again, this just reiterates my extreme belief that the purchase of any weapons shouldn't be allowed by law in any circumstance whatsoever. 86 lives would've been spared in this situation.

And you think in an extreme case like this the shooter wouldn't have been able to purchase the weapons off the black market?

I disagree - such a situation practically exists here in the UK, and that means one thing: the only people with access to firearms are criminals. I'm not saying everyone should carry a magnum, but I can't see why, say, secure, regulated ranges where bolt-action rifles and ammunition are kept under lock are a bad thing. Some people (including myself) have perfectly legitimate interests in firearms for sport, and the fact I can't peruse such interests in a regulated fashion in my home country is, quite frankly, a bit of a piss-take.

Still, let's not derail this thread - firearms usage and ownership are wholly distinct from murdering dozens of innocent children.