NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Wolf

Motivation

I'm in Year 10 and I just can't bring myself to do my school work. I don't just mean now, I mean all the time. Some subjects I can bring myself to do, such as History. But with Maths I just can't be bothered. I have a whole load of past papers to do and I have a module in March but I just can't be bothered. Please help me :(

i know what you feel like, im in year 11 and theres just sme homeworks, like maths that i jsut cant be bothered doing. all i do is do it as soon as i get in, then its out of the way and so i dont have to worry about it later on.

I'm in Year 10 and I just can't bring myself to do my school work. I don't just mean now, I mean all the time. Some subjects I can bring myself to do, such as History. But with Maths I just can't be bothered. I have a whole load of past papers to do and I have a module in March but I just can't be bothered. Please help me :(

I feel the same way, except I have A Level modules next month. But I know I must get this right to get into Uni, my motivation is looking forward to what I can and will be doing in the future. Knowing that I can only do this by securing good grades at my current level, is enough for me to push myself further.

i was in the same situation you are in now. i decided not to bother that much. i passed my GCSE's but they were only just passes. i was capable of really high grades as well. now i am training as an accountant and i tell you what i wish i had bothered at your stage. i have wasted 2 years trying to get better grades when i could have done it back then. it has cost me 2 years in training. if i had done better initially i would be qualified now and probably earning £50k a year easy but that is a very hard lesson to learn.

I'm also in that situation. I'm in year 11 now and I still can't be arsed with the work, this has lagged on from year 10. Like you, I can still work in other subjects like Music and Drama, but History and Maths I just cannot be bothered to do. I sometimes do the work in Science but only when I feel like it. In fact, this laziness got so bad in year 10 I ended up dropping Business Studies because I couldn't even be bothered to go in for the Mock Exam in May (shun). This gave me a free period in the library to catch up on Coursework and Homework I cannot be bothered to do at home.

Why should you be motivated? School work can suck ass. Maybe you dont find it easy to do. Maybe your teacher is a bitch who doesnt care about you. Maybe you cant concentrate. Maybe you rather be off doing something else. So, why should you be motivated?

Maybe the problem isnt the schoolwork itself, maybe the problem is you. You cannot focus, can you young Luke? Use the force Luke. Focus!

You could try doing just a little bit, then taking a break. Then do a little more. Then taking a break. And so on. Too much work, and too little play, isnt fun.

Why should you be motivated? School work can suck ass. Maybe you dont find it easy to do. Maybe your teacher is a bitch who doesnt care about you. Maybe you cant concentrate. Maybe you rather be off doing something else. So, why should you be motivated?

Maybe the problem isnt the schoolwork itself, maybe the problem is you. You cannot focus, can you young Luke? Use the force Luke. Focus!

You could try doing just a little bit, then taking a break. Then do a little more. Then taking a break. And so on. Too much work, and too little play, isnt fun.

now this is philosophy that will get you far in life. NOT.

i see it this way. education is a right not a privilage. people think "i am being forced to go to school" wah wah wah. what about the millions of kids your age around the world who have to work picking fruit, mining or making clothes so they can survive? they would give anything to be in the same situation you are in now. make the most of it.

i see it this way. education is a right not a privilage. people think "i am being forced to go to school" wah wah wah. what about the millions of kids your age around the world who have to work picking fruit, mining or making clothes so they can survive? they would give anything to be in the same situation you are in now. make the most of it.

People don't think like that though, your average kid isnt going to say, "i better make the most of this opportunity as some kid in africa wont get to go to school, where as i will"

School is one of the many things people take for granted, i cant see it changing.

How about being honest? Do you think that will work?

Honesty hey??? That is a novel idea. Being honest what is so hard about the work you are given anyway? Being honest what would you be doing instead of this work, and is it really that rewarding? Being honest kids get it easy these days with all the help that is there for them? being honest that last comment makes me look 60.

but you get the picture.

I just force myself into doing it :P

Just do brief bursts of work (says 20 mins) and take 5 minutes out for a break.

I'm in year 9, and i just find that i'm naturally motivated to do my work. I don't know why, i'm one of the more intelligent people in my year though, so i don't find it too hard to get the work done. I just try to get it done quickly, as soon as i get home, so i can do more enjoyable things with my time. I only find i cant be bothered when i get completely swamped with work, which isnt that often. :)

Honesty hey??? That is a novel idea. Being honest what is so hard about the work you are given anyway? Being honest what would you be doing instead of this work, and is it really that rewarding? Being honest kids get it easy these days with all the help that is there for them? being honest that last comment makes me look 60.

but you get the picture.

I was not saying that they should not do their homework. I was saying that they wont do their homework just because you say they should.

You catch more bees with honey.

I was unmotivated during my GCSE years. And I failed my GCSE's. Simple as that.

I was unmotivated through my GCSE's and coasted to at least a C in everything same with A-level as well. However by the time I got to uni I assumed I could do the same. Basically I couldnt.

GCSE's are teh sucks.

well, not really but meh, i'm in year 11 at the moment, and the only subject i can't be bothered in is English and RE (not the option, the compulsory).

Though i really need to work on my english grade so i can get into the courses i wanna do in A Level >_<

I'm in year 9, and i just find that i'm naturally motivated to do my work. I don't know why, i'm one of the more intelligent people in my year though, so i don't find it too hard to get the work done. I just try to get it done quickly, as soon as i get home, so i can do more enjoyable things with my time. I only find i cant be bothered when i get completely swamped with work, which isnt that often. :)

The thing is, I'm actually pretty clever. I'm good at alot of subjects, but I've deteriated in Maths and Biology. All other subjects are fine. I'm doing better in English, and my grades have increased. I got a C for Maths and a D for Biology, in my end of term report. The rest I got Bs and 4 As

I used to make myself work when I didnt want to by making the rule "I am not allowed to listen to any of my music collection until I have done 1 past paper" or I am not allowed to play on Super Marion World until I have done my geography reading. etc

Sometimes it worked, sometimes I was like, sod it, Im playing Mario.

Kind of helped though.

I just force myself into doing it :P

Just do brief bursts of work (says 20 mins) and take 5 minutes out for a break.

Best bit of advice you'll hear all day. You don't need to do 3 hours of work at once. There's no law saying you can't break.

What you need to do is this. You need to have an idea of something you're going to do today. For example, today, i will play F zero GX. Now, you CAN NOT play that game until you've done at least half an hour to 2 hours worth of work. You need to set yourself goals.

I find it helps if i get in the shower, eat, then do work straight away. Don't come onto the internet and don't watch TV as they will set your mind wandering and you won't want to work. ;)

I'm in year 9 and have mock SATs after christmas, i cant bring myself to revise without my mum telling me to. DO i really need to revise for MOCKs anyway

retro-lover

it's reccomended, since you find out ways of revising that work for you... i didn't revise for my mocks, and i'm still shit at revising. I kinda wish i had tried a little revision to see what works for me.

I generally work better at night (12am onwards), because of lack of distractions, no one's on msn (msn is the devil btw when you want to do work), and everyones gone to bed. Then it's just the cat that annoys and distracts me.

I don't find it that hard to work under pressure either. At the moment I'm doing a BTEC Diploma, and last academic year I sat back and chilled out, then did half a years work in the final week and got merits and distictions. This years a different matter though, as the work load goes up and up.

My general advice is to somehow change your mindset so you feel passionate about the subject/assignment you're tackling.........doing that though is an entirely different matter.

Lets just say, if you sit back and chill, then you'll be working in a supermarket or something.

In the working world, only the best of the bunch get where they want to be.

Herr Dark Wolf, I used to be in the exact same state of mind/ behaviour to work as you, however I then worked really hard near the end of yr 10 - 11 and thankfully passed all my GCSEs the lowsest I got being 2 Bs now just started college and im doing A level sciences and Psychology.

If you want to be motivated keep thinking this: if I don't work really hard now how would I feel when I open up my GCSEs results and see grades that I don't like, how would my parents/ family feel about this, supporting me and giving me their time, effort, and energy for all these years of my education to get these low grades.

As Black Fox said doing short bursts of proper revision/ work with short breaks in between is really effective.

After you've done your work/ revision you can get a blank sheet of paper and write down all you remeber, and before you start revising again just do a short recap sesssion to see if you can remeber everything.

The thing is you sound like have great potential to get the great results.

For Maths I would say work through your past papers and do as many questions as you can, doing the areas that are the most difficult first then work your down to the easier areas.

Maths is all about practice and knowing the basics and formulas really well, if you know the basics then you can build on that.

Hope that helps sorry for the lengthy post.

coffee.jpg

It'll all be worth it on Results Day. The newspapers spew their arse-gravy (Fryism!) about exams getting easier and worthless grading, but that's all irrelevant. Really. I'm academically sound and terribly lazy. However, I did grind when it was appropriate, and I'm really glad.

I sincerely regret not putting the work in during the majority of Secondary School. There's so much I want to learn now that I could have then, but the opportunity isn't there. I neglected Maths and Science in favour of Geography and History and English - and now, when I'm watching Voyager re-runs, I haven't got a fucking clue what they're going on about. It's tragic.

Still, I think I really made my folks proud, y'know, on results day. Defeat is only momentary! (Kongism!)

Also, coffee.

haver's right, learn everything you can in school otherwise you'll regret it later. it's history, religion and psychology i wish i'd worked harder at. the more you learn about any one subject the more it bleeds into everything else. i'm studying art & art history i university now, and alwas knew that's what i wanted to do so art was the only subject i was ever motivated in. only since geting to university have i realised how important it is to have a broad knowledge. everything is connected, don't let the structure of high school education make you forget that. sorry, i just went completely off on a tangent there.

Sign in to follow this