NEurope
Daft

GoldenEye 007 Reloaded

Seems everyone is getting the GoldenEye love.

goldeneye_reloaded_01.jpg

Activision will be tightening up the graphics on 2010's GoldeneEye 007 for the Wii—the re-imagining of the 1997 Nintendo 64 game of the same name—bringing it to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as GoldenEye 007 Reloaded. See?

Reloaded, expected to be officially unveiled at the San Diego Comic-Con this week, appears to be a relatively straight port of the Wii version (which was pretty good), but since it's still not officially announced by Activision, we don't yet know the extent of the project.

Kotaku is headed to Comic-Con and Activision's preview event tomorrow, where we fully anticipate we'll be hearing a lot more about GoldenEye 007 Reloaded.

Source

When I atteneded one of the university open days last year, my lecturer had recently been over to the Eurocom office to see one of the students there who was working on the Wii version.

When I spoke to him about it and about GoldenEye, he said that they'd already finished work on the Wii version but there was still to come. He didn't elobrate any further but I'm guessing this is what he meant.

It's a cracking remake and deserves to be played by more people on consoles that can do justice to the mutltiplayer component of the game. The Wii version was commendable and they certain did the best they could with what they had but there are no such restrictions in place this time.

It's just when they plan to release it. Black Ops Wii got overshadowed by it but there is no way people will be picking this up over MW3 on those consoles and there is also BF3 to compete with this year too.

That was going to be my question - never played the wii version- never really looked much into it. How similar to rare's original is it, actually?

That was going to be my question - never played the wii version- never really looked much into it. How similar to rare's original is it, actually?

It has a dam, it has a facility, it has a Siberia level etc, but they are all different in layout, play out differently from the original and aren't necessarily in the same order. Beside that it mostly plays like a modern shooter (auto healing, aiming down iron sights) and it does the stealth aspects the original Goldeneye had quiet well.

It has multiple, partly miss-able objectives and the difficulty available for subsequent levels depends on how much of them you fulfilled. The hard-boiled players can chose the 007-classic difficulty, which has limited health, no healing and bullet proof vests in special spots of the levels.

It's much more a "what if Goldeneye was a 2010 movie/game"-remake with nods to the original, than what you have with Perfect Dark on the 360.

I hope that they'll also support Move on the PS3.

Edited by Burny

I'm not much of an FPS fan at all, and dont have a lot of experience in the genre, but I really enjoyed playing through the surprisingly lengthy single player campaign. Reviews at the time were calling it CoD: Lite Bond Edition and so maybe I'd enjoy them even more... who knows. I think part of it's appeal was a really good implementation of pointer controls as I'm not a dual analog guy.

There are more certainly differences than similarities with Rare's game. The levels may share the same names but their design is totally different... utside the very first section of the first level which was purposely done that way. Set piece after set piece but plenty of opportunities to play stealthy and avoid big fire fights.

I've not played much of the mutliplayer really but that was with being at Uni - it certainly wasn't because I didn't enjoy it because I did.

One thing that did surprise me was that the game lacked a jump button (much like the original) so you do have to walk around a lot of things when you haven't got the "vault" command on the action button.

Those extra objectives were the worst thing about it. They were stupid things like "find 5 of object x" and often really well hidden in a game where you can't explore backwards to find stuff you missed. And if you missed one you have to re-do the entire mission or continue on the lowest difficulty.

Other than that and Trevelyan - who was utterly dreadful (The bankers and their bonuses!), it was a pretty awesome game.

But, apart from the layout of the first part of the Dam, it's nothing like the original

Those extra objectives were the worst thing about it. They were stupid things like "find 5 of object x" and often really well hidden in a game where you can't explore backwards to find stuff you missed. And if you missed one you have to re-do the entire mission or continue on the lowest difficulty.

Other than that and Trevelyan - who was utterly dreadful (The bankers and their bonuses!), it was a pretty awesome game.

But, apart from the layout of the first part of the Dam, it's nothing like the original

A couple were hidden but most of them get picked up by your phone so you have a good idea where to start looking. It's just when they have them in really open areas like on the Severnaya level.

Oh yes, Trevelyan... I didn't mind the changes to the story although he did sound like a cry baby :p But the fight with him on the last level was shockingly dull and tedious in the shoot out section.

Hopefully they'll do something about that.

In other words: Exactly like the original. ;)

Although I'm not sure if there were any instances where you couldn't go back in the original. But those parts usually serve as checkpoints here, which have benefits of their own.

But yeah, I definitely felt cheated by the transition to the runway sequence. I just wanted to have a peak outside the door of the tower before going upstairs where the last objective would have been. But the moment you open the door, the runway sequence starts and there is no way to go back. -.-

Goriginal never had checkpoints :P Do it in one go, baby! External objectives, as in those you needed to do in harder difficulties... I can't remember ever not being able to do them. Everything was find-able. But then, maps were simpler back then.

Will wait and see with this, methinks. Or try and play the wii version!

The Wii version is fantastic! One of the best games on the console IMO and the Wiimote controls are great!

Definately give this game ago. I'd recommend the Wii version if this version doesn't use MOVE. Graphically the game still looks awesome.

The Wii one was a bit poo, pretty much entirely because of the awful dead zones on the Classic Controller analogue sticks. Also, it was an online multiplayer game on a Nintendo console, which is just a combination that begs failure.

The Wii one was a bit poo, pretty much entirely because of the awful dead zones on the Classic Controller analogue sticks.

Luckily the Wii Remote controls were brilliant.

The Wii one was a bit poo, pretty much entirely because of the awful dead zones on the Classic Controller analogue sticks. Also, it was an online multiplayer game on a Nintendo console, which is just a combination that begs failure.
Yeah Bard, you can't give that as a reason, you Have to play the game with the Wiimote controls, they're brilliant!... plus using the motion controls in the nunchuck you can tilt it and lean round corners etc... which is such an important move to have.

Apart from using the nunchuck to tilt/lean, the Wii Remote controls were great.

I actually quite liked the game, had a lot more fun with it than pretty much any other shooter on the Wii, but I gotta say, the Wiimote controls were pretty weak considering. I mean there was some level of customisability, but there was nothing that stood out as perfect for me. I thought Metroid 3 had a pretty perfect Wiimote control scheme, but that might be because that game didn't really requite a huge level of precision/ wasn't actually a shooter. The classic controller took a little while to get used to, but the aim assist compensated for a lot of the physical controllers jankyness, and besides, I didn't play it to get a mechanically great shooter experience so much as I played it cause it was Goldeneye, and for what its worth, it did a good job of capturing some of the atmospehere of the original game, but then also did a lot of huge blown out set pieces that wouldn't have been out of place in a Call of Duty or something.

I would give this ting a look if it comes out at a discounted price. Maybe £29.99

The Wii version is £12 on amazon I was going to pick it up next time we get paid. Not planning on uise the wii controls mind as it supports gamecube controller.

A little upsetting that the Wii loses the exclusive fps, but these things happen.

Still ain't played this title though

It's not like it's doing the Wii any more good at this point. People who wanted it likely have it, as it has been available cheaply for quiet some time now.

Now the people without Wiis or distaste for the Wii's graphics capabilities can experience it. And it's all for the better that Eurocom's excellent efforts can reach another audience.

I think it's a little sad that the Wii now loses the one big exclusive FPS it had. Sure, there is The Conduit but that doesn't hold up to this game.

But the game does look sweet in HD: http://www.gamereactor.dk/billeder/?textid=85032&id=251544

Looking over those images, it's funny how simply moving it to HD makes it instantly look part of the COD franchise.

Somehow on the Wii it managed to hold onto a more individual style and one that somehow reminded you of the N64 original.

EDIT:

Trailer

Edited by Retro_Link

The campaign is great, but the online is sorely lacking in comparison to other out there, CoD for example... and that's not because of the Wii as Black Ops has an Xbox Live like experience.

It's more to do with how levelling up works and how broken the gun/gadget unlock system is. It's completely unbalanced!

I don't care what anyone says, one of the great things about Halo is that it doesn't have any of this leveling up and unlocking shit shit.

Why cant they announce it for Wii U thats HD.

Nobody is really announcing games as such though are they? I think there is a fair chance we might see it though!

Since it is using Infinity Ward's engine will it be running at silky smooth 60fps?