NEurope
Dyson

The Music Thread

Yeah my ideal is to buy the vinyl for the physicality, since they always stun more than the CD, and a lot come with download coupons for the album anyway/I would be justified in downloading for my iPod, but would also have it to play on my record player. Though vinyls are even MORE money than CDs.

Madonna's "Gimme All Your Luvin'" came on in the club that I was in last night. It was surprisingly amazing to dance to, it felt great. I didn't think the music was as good as it usually is but looking back -- there were some real hits.

Amelia Banks came on..some fast paced Whitney Houston which didn't seem tacky at all (Of course, I did drink a bottle of red wine). Speaking of red wine (cheap perfume & a filthy pout) -- Heavy Metal Lover was played. Euphoria!

In the mood for calming/unnerving electronica of the 90s flavour.

HMV Kingston have a new Vinyl section. Yeah it's expensive, but I want it all. UGH. Blue bu Joni. Rumours. Patti Smith...Prince...Born To Die is stunning to see in LP form too.

Someone give me money.

Stream of Clark's new album for anyone who might be interested.

Also contains some interesting thoughts regarding the record by the man himself - I particularly like this bit for the track Black Stone:

"The IDM community, tasteful lot that they are, would probably want to hear it chopped up with an “Amen” break in 11/7 over it or something."

Edited by ipaul

The new Death Grips LP, The Money Store, is fantastic. It was uploaded to Soundcloud earlier in the week, and I've listened to it enough times to know that it's currently my favourite album that I've heard this year.

I was a big fan of ExMilitary, their first LP, which came out last year and also happened to be one of my top 5 albums of 2011. So glad I pre-ordered The Money Store on vinyl.

Love this song. I usually HATE Lil Wayne but I do like this song. Easy listening and I can actually understand what the hell he says. First time he's ever made sense in his records!

Record Store Day today. Does anyone else participate in RSD? If not, shame on you! :P

Went to a used record store to show my support, and picked up these:

tumblr_m2ttnhcn511qfdpmho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2ttpmbwMt1qfdpmho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2tts2oimv1qfdpmho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2ttwbhQ0h1qfdpmho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2ttygAHty1qfdpmho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2tu019iX71qfdpmho1_500.jpg

All for £45!

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd share some of what I've been listening to recently.

So yeah. Been listening to a lot of that early 90s American stuff at the moment. I'm sure my Sonic Youth obsession will calm down eventually, but for now it's still going strong. Also..

Because I finally managed to find another copy of it on the interwebz after my computer somehow deleted mine. Yeeaahhhh German music.

Had their new album on repeat the past week, this one stood out for me and then they went and made a lovely video to go with it.

Listening to the back catalogue of Grizzly in preparation for the imminent release of their new album. HYPED.

Because I've just finished watching S4 & 5 of Mad Men. This was used at one point and it was the coolest fucking thing you'll ever see :heh:

Just got Soundgarden's new album, King Animal. Absolutely amazing - a rare reunion album that doesn't suck. At least as good as Down on the Upside and pretty close to Superunknown. Must listen to again...

music_soundgarden_king_animal_1_1.jpg

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd share some of what I've been listening to recently.

This is better :heh:

This is better :heh:

Hmmmm no. No it isn't.

But here's another great Beck song:

Hmmmm no. No it isn't.

But here's another great Beck song:

Sea Change is such an awesome album. :heart:

Have also been listening to a bit of this guy. He's insanely good, but must break a few guitar strings doing that!

YO QUESTION Y'ALL - IS THIS SAMPLE FROM A VIDEOGAME?

Feel like I recognise it from a Zelda, but I dont know. Maybe like Link's Awakening or Wind Waker.

Wouldnt be totally random as a few of the tracks on his mixtape are named after old games (Goldeneye, Streetfighter, Soul Calibur)

Having a listen to some of the first tracks to come off of The Joy Formidable's new album, Wolf's Law, which comes out in January. Was a huge fan of their debut from last year (definitely one of my favourite albums of and one of the best debuts of 2011) but was a little worried about how they'd follow it up and while I'm not too keen on one of the new songs, and a bit indifferent to another (it's good apart from the chorus), I'm happy that 'Cholla' is very much in keeping with what I love about the band's music.

Hoping the full album throws up some exciting surprises just as The Big Roar did. Can't wait to find out :D

Absolutely loving Within Temptation's covers at the moment! Here's my favorites;

Edited by CoolFunkMan

This is the best song I have heard all year. For all Hurts fans this will shock you, in a good way. Seems they want to be the new Muse

Edited by Ashley
Fixed. Just need the bit after "v="

For all Hurts fans this will shock you, in a good way.

My mom won't like this :D But she only liked a couple of songs from Hurts.

This song is good. Enjoy it more then their earlier stuff.

They need to make another album.

Could create a new thread for this but wasn't sure how many people would take to it and whether it would lead to discussions on what people thought about music in 2012 and their favourite albums/songs to come out of it.

--------------------

Anyway, 2013 is quickly coming towards us so I've been thinking about some of my favourite (and least favourite) music of 2012. Overall, I think it's been a pretty decent year. I've listened to a lot of different sounds/genres/styles and there seems to be something good for just about everyone.

My top 10 albums of the year are:

10. Interstellar - Frankie Rose

9. Nightlife EP - Phantogram

8. Sun - Cat Power

7. Give You the Ghost - Polica

6. Mixed Emotions - Tanlines

5. Melody's Echo Chamber - Melody's Echo Chamber

4. Shrines - Purity Ring

3. Nocturne - Wild Nothing

2. Bloom - Beach House

1. Kill for Love - Chromatics

Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem

Shields - Grizzly Bear

Oshin - DIIV

Port of Morrow - The Shins

My Head is an Animal - Of Monsters and Men

Enjoy It While It Lasts - Spector

Electric Hawaii - Opossom

Lonerism - Tame Impala

Diver - Lemonade

Spooky Action at a Distance - Lotus Plaza

Some pleasant surprises (such as Melody's Echo Chamber and Purity Ring) that made it hard to rank. Originally considered Bloom as my favourite album but the more I thought about it, that album by Chromatics is just incredibly good.

Least favourite albums, or the ones I was most disappointed with, are Gossamer by Passion Pit and Neck of the Woods by Silversun Pickups. The former is just such a depressing listen with the lyrics mirroring the singer's troubles and what not and the latter just felt flat compared and boring compared to the preceding EP and earlier albums.

And after their dismal effort this year on their album, my award for the Act Who Should Call It Quits goes to The Offspring, who've been hitting a bum-note since Conspiracy of One.

And finally, when it comes to music coming out in 2013, the acts/artists I'm looking forward to are The Joy Formidable with their new album in January, PEACE who have their album out in January as well, and Glasgow-born indie group Chvrches, who are sounding very promising based on the few songs they've put together so far.

Anyway, enough from me, what about everyone else? What were you're favourite/least favourite albums and songs of 2012? And should I have made this into its own thread :P

I've been sat at my desk for last hour, bored out of my mind and have only just realised that I'v got my headphones on me. Needless to say, I've been flicking through hip hop videos on youtube that I haven't listened to for a few months and man, I've stumbed across some classic stuff. I do bloody love old school hip hop, before it wasn't as commercial.