NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Canis Vulpes

PAL Gamecube, Pal Games, Component Cable and HDTV

Hello, i'm from Italy, and i need some help.

i just bought the xbox360 console, and i'm waiting for samsung le32r51b HDTV. i'm playing with my other consoles on a philips 32'' crt widescreen 100hz, using gamecube with the official nintendo rgb cable, and i'm so satisfacted.

some friends of mine told me that gamecube with rgb cable on samsung lcd will not give me the same good performance as crt does, so i'm lookin' for info:

if i buy the official nintendo component cable (my pal cube has digital av output) and use it with pal games, i know that they don't support progressive scan, but is the video quality equal (or improved) to crt + rgb cable?

Awwww, you complicate too much... just plug the d*mn thing into the nearest TV and play on! :D

Seriously, Nintendo i all about gameplay and if game is good, who gives a puck about the silly copper wire.... :yay:

I don't think PAL GCN games do play in 525p either. What the component cables do is send one colour per cable (Red, Blue, Green) rather than mix the colour channels like RCA cables. This way, the TV doesn't have to unscrmable the colour channels, and the picture *should*look less 'bled', that is, when colours aren't where they are suppoesed to be.

I thought component cables were RGB cables :wtf: .

Sometimes with a CRT, you will see that red often has an 'aura' and takes up more space than it should.

Using a component cable on non progressive scan games will result in a picture slightly aboce RGB quality, there will be hardly any bleeding at all, it will still be interlaced though.

Using a component cable on non progressive scan games will result in a picture slightly aboce RGB quality, there will be hardly any bleeding at all, it will still be interlaced though.

thanks, but i heard that the cable only brings video signal.. i need the scart AV in the analog port to hear sound?

so LCD + Component is equal to CRT + RGB in terms of quality? :yay:

Sorry to necropost, I just picked up a GameCube.. it's a PAL version but because it's an older edition it has the component out still.

I have been using the analogue AV out using the supplied cable for the cube.. red yellow and white cable for video, left and right audio.

I've not really been blown away with the quality and was considering using the component, I have quite a big TV and was wondering what options there are to improve it?

I have checked out the back of my TV and I don't think I have the ports for the component video? Do I really need a HD TV to take advantage of such an old console?

My xbox has a component video cable which just goes to the 3 pronged red/yellow/white cables into my scart. Can I use this to get better quality?

I heard 480p is worth it for 60fps and the extra cable for sound is worth the hassle/cost.

Thanks in advance.

Sign in to follow this