NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

One Piece Collection 5 is out now! Finishes up the Alabasta arc (wow, already?).

Collection 6 is due 19th May and is available to preorder on Amazon, or your favourite retailer. ;)

I plan to buy both Naruto and One Piece on the best format available once they're all in one complete, hopefully compact collection :)

I first watched Dragonball way back in the 90s, when I was a wee lad (though Maya the Bee might've been the very first one I saw. I had a VHS of that. It's a German-Japanese production, but it still counts).

Regardless, all of it was dubbed. The first few Anime I watched in original form were Excel Saga, Golden Boy, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, back when our "alternative" channel (SIC Radical) started out. Can't say in which order, though.

This, exactly. Don't forget Escaflowne, it was one of the best we got at the time!

As for first Manga, I believe it was Death Note... but I've read a tremendous amount of stuff ever since, I'm a huge fan of several authors, especially the works of Naoki Urasawa, Inio Asano, Takehiko Inoue and Makoto Yukimura.

This, exactly. Don't forget Escaflowne, it was one of the best we got at the time!

I either missed that one entirely, or watched it without knowing what it was called :heh:

I either missed that one entirely, or watched it without knowing what it was called :heh:

It was the thursday one. We had Golden Boy (and then FLCL and then Lain) on mondays, Trigun on tuesdays, Cowboy Bebop on Wednesdays, Vision Of Escaflowne on thursdays and Excel Saga on fridays.

The one where Isaac Newton was a character, with a fantasy setting, involving Mechas.

So I started watching Death Note - yes I realise how far behind I am.

I'm really enjoying it. I initially hated Light, but find that as the episodes go on I think that he's been so clever against L.

Once I've finished Death Note, what should I watch next? My friends are saying Naruto/One Piece, but given they are both very long, it might be good to watch something shorter.

It was the thursday one. We had Golden Boy (and then FLCL and then Lain) on mondays, Trigun on tuesdays, Cowboy Bebop on Wednesdays, Vision Of Escaflowne on thursdays and Excel Saga on fridays.

The one where Isaac Newton was a character, with a fantasy setting, involving Mechas.

I guess I didn't watch it on Thursdays and Mondays, then. Those other schedules are definitely familiar, though.

Also, I think I must've watched Golden Boy on a rerun, as I swear, I watched an episode per day (also, I didn't know Sic Radical aired FLCL and Lain, I only watched those later)

I'm really enjoying it. I initially hated Light, but find that as the episodes go on I think that he's been so clever against L.

Once I've finished Death Note, what should I watch next? My friends are saying Naruto/One Piece, but given they are both very long, it might be good to watch something shorter.

Cowboy Bebop and Gungrave have 26 episodes each, and both are highly recommended (but with Gungrave, you should skip the first episode. It's utterly nonsensical, and does nothing but spoil what happens later on).

Casshern Sins, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Serial Experiments Lain are short, but also hard to get into (each for different reasons).

Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood, Gungrave and Code Geass.

As Jonnas said, the first episode of Gungrave is strange and not at all a true representation of the quality of the series.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I just had a look at Mushishi - this sounds really interesting. Thanks @Oxigen_Waste think that's definitely next on the list.

Naruto is so long, and there's so much filler shit to contend with. I still love it but I don't recommend it to people anymore. That said I think it has a good 5 episode test, as in watch 5 and if you're not hooked then it's not for you.

Just to suggest a few that people might have forgotten but are unmissable:

Sword Art Online (about being trapped inside a VR MMO)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Eureka Seven

Ghost in the Shell, movies and Standalone Complex

And to lighten it up a bit (You'll need this if you watch Evangelion and Lain as you may forget what happiness is):

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

Azumanga Daioh

Great Teacher Onizuka

FLCL

Welcome to the NHK

Edited by Shorty

NHK is brilliant but more depressing than cheerful, really.

For the ultimate feel-good comedy anime then definitely try the brilliant Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. Just don't go and do what I did and go watch regular Full Metal Panic afterwards, thinking it's more of the same. That was a mistake...

Ghost in the Shell, movies and Standalone Complex

Not that I disagree with the recommendation, as SAC is quite good, but I feel it's important to let newcomers know that Standalone Complex is just an action show, with none of the original movie's insightful writing or astounding direction. They're 2 completely different beasts, and while the original movie is an absolute masterpiece and one of the best animated features of all time (at times resembling the work of auteur Andrei Tarkovsky), the show is good but pretty unextraordinary.

It's been too long since I've wathced GitS 2... at the time I hated it because I was a kid, but maybe I should give it another go now that I'm old enough to truly understand what's going on. It's funny how much of a different movie the original GitS is when you watch it as an adult... it's so much better than the anime community even realizes!

Edit:

As for some more oddball anime recommendations, besides Mushishi and Monster, I think everyone should check out Mononoke (not the Ghibli movie), Flowers Of Evil, Baccano!, Bunny Drop, The Tatami Galaxy, Serial Experiments Lain and Paranoia Agent. All of these stray from the conventional confines of most animes, in one way or another, and I'd check them all out.

------

Also, I keep hearing much love for Space Brothers, about to embark on that journey, anyone here a fan?

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

Whilst I agree that they're two different beasts, labelling SAC as an action show makes it sound dumb. It certainly doesn't have the depth of the movies, but it's still fairly smart and engaging, the futuristic world is expanded intelligently. Visually excellent as well.

As for NHK... it's black comedy, I thought it was hilarious.

Whilst I agree that they're two different beasts, labelling SAC as an action show makes it sound dumb. It certainly doesn't have the depth of the movies, but it's still fairly smart and engaging, the futuristic world is expanded intelligently. Visually excellent as well.

Oh, don't get me wrong, SAC is quite good indeed! Definitely worth it! I just think it's a mistake to watch expecting more of what you got in the movie, as it's just a completely different level. Not that the show is dumb, but rather that the movie is incredibly deep!

As yes, SAC looks gorgeous too, but it's like comparing a Zack Snyder movie to a Kubrick one, they're just completely different approaches.

Basically, SAC is great, especially for the plot and action setpieces, while in the movie, the strenghts are the writing and the direction/animation (whilst the plot and the action are good enough but not mindblowing).

Also, I wish they had enlisted Kenji Kawai for the SAC soundtrack, the music in the movies is absurdly good.

I've started watching FMA: Brotherhood. Good so far and only four episodes in. Man that fourth episode with the chimera stuff really brought me down. Fuck that cunt.

I've started watching FMA: Brotherhood. Good so far and only four episodes in. Man that fourth episode with the chimera stuff really brought me down. Fuck that cunt.

Good man.

Everything from about 10 onwards is amazing. It's gets to one point where there is nothing but battle after battle after battle. Freaking love the series. :D

I couldn't sit through the first 10 episodes of FMA Brotherhood. I'd watched the original series and couldn't be arsed to get through the initial episodes covered in that series again, because I can't really start part way through a series I just didn't continue it.

On another note, I got part 1 of Robotics; Notes recently, I'm looking forward to it.

I couldn't sit through the first 10 episodes of FMA Brotherhood. I'd watched the original series and couldn't be arsed to get through the initial episodes covered in that series again, because I can't really start part way through a series I just didn't continue it.

Read the first 30 chapters or so of the manga, then watch from Episode 16 onwards. It'll probably be more palatable.

Starting first ep of Attack on Titan.... Lets see what all the fuss is about so....

Starting first ep of Attack on Titan.... Lets see what all the fuss is about so....

About time!

I personally didn't enjoy it. I think I've burned myself out on Shonens, I just can't seem to enjoy them in the slightest anymore. FMA excluded, as the writing is alot better than in other shonens.

Been reading Kuroko no Basuke & Slam Dunk the past week. Really enjoying them both.

So I decided I'd have to get through FMA Brotherhood given it gets high praise. I've watched the first 17 episodes and I'm finally getting into it. It doesn't jump out to me as amazing just yet though. I'll keep watching mind.

So I decided I'd have to get through FMA Brotherhood given it gets high praise. I've watched the first 17 episodes and I'm finally getting into it. It doesn't jump out to me as amazing just yet though. I'll keep watching mind.

I shall echo what you said bout me starting Attack on Titan...

ABOUT TIME!

Haha.

If you enjoyed the original FMA anime, Brotherhood will blow your mind once you start to get past the first few levels before stories diverge.

I LOVED FMA, and didn't think Brotherhood could be so much more than the "original" but it went so far beyond my expectations :D

Anyway on Titan.... watched the first 4 eps so far...HOLY FRAK ME.... will be binging on a few more eps of that later :D