NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

On 26/02/2023 at 5:55 PM, Shorty said:

I thought Attack on Titan had already completely finished - because I saw people sending death threats because they hated how it ended so much? Or was that just the manga.

Just the manga. I'm not even sure what was the thing that got people angry anymore.

I know that the one part that bothered me won't get cut. The author definitely confirmed that it's meant to happen, and I can only hope it's handled with a different tone.

Attack on Titan: The Final Chapters – Special 1 (or Chapters 1 and 2 of Final Season Part 3...man, this isn't getting confusing at all) was absolutely awesome. An hourlong special with stupidly good animation, music, AMV-type moments (two of 'em, in fact!), and as has been the case throughout the entirety of this final season, the writing is still just bonkers good in this Special. 

What isn't awesome is the wait until "Fall 2023" (so, September?) for the second half of the final part of the story in the form of another special (I don't know how much is left to adapt, but probably another hour to an hour and a half? Wonder if there'll be any Final Chapters cinema releases combining both the Specials...)...but, well, if it lives up to the hype, I'm sure the wait will be worth it. As hyped as I am to see it continue, I also feel pretty satiated just from the Special (which has singlehandedly got me back into an anime-watching mood). 

So, uh, yeah, while I want to enjoy the rest of 2023 between now and what comes next in the story, I hope this year doesn't go by as quickly as this Special came and went :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I am quite happy with the Attack on Titan adaptation so far! I can see now why they didn't end the previous season with Jamil's scene. And rewatching these final moments as a Manga reader helps connect things into place.

I usually like to single out particular scenes that I feel exceeded the manga. Obvious answer is the incredible ending of "Episode 1", but I have to give a shout-out to a particular goblin face in Episode 2 that... I'm not sure if it was in the manga or not, but the anime version will certainly brand it into my mind.

Come Fall 2023, we're going to see how much of the Internet breaks over AOT.

• Like 1

Started watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood because of a friend's recommendation.
Motherfucker didn't tell me that it will destroy me emotionally.

4 episodes in and tears have been shed.

Also loved that the show just casually throws in god in the second episode. "Haha, main characters fucked up. Here it is: the universe, everything, the truth, god!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Started watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood because of a friend's recommendation.

robert-redford-jeremiah-johnson.gif

I rewatched it last summer and flew through it in a week and a half – safe to say it's just as good the fourth time around as it is the first!

One of only five complete shows (so not individual parts/seasons) I've scored a 10 according to my MAL account (for anyone curious, the other four are Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Cowboy Bebop and Monster), and yeah, even amongst those it stands out. 

It's one hell of a ride, enjoy it drah–

47 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Motherfucker didn't tell me that it will destroy me emotionally.

4 episodes in and tears have been shed.

Oh haha, yep you might be in trouble :laughing:

On 3/10/2023 at 6:54 PM, Julius said:

Oh haha, yep you might be in trouble :laughing:

What is this anime?
I somehow thought it was a light-hearted and funny action anime with a good story.

I've reached episode 20 (which is apparently going to be a big one) and I've gotten:

• incredible characters
  • mystery
  • laughter
  • misdirection
  • cool fights
  • heartbreak
  • tears
Spoiler

Nina and Alexander :( What the hell...

Hughes :( What the hell...

Everything Al is going through :( What the hell...

I need this to stop :p

Edited by drahkon

More Ranking of Kings, this time in Gaiden Collection form (so not S2...yet) with The Treasure Test of Courage:

Man RoK S1 was awesome, hope this is a good stand-in while we continue to wait for S2! 

It's time for my yearly rant about how shit CrunchyRoll is! Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

New season of My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan is out, so i figured it's time to try and watch! I prefer watching MHA with English dubbing, so I checked that it was available, it is was! Decide to pay for one month of CrunchyRoll, but upon doing so, I find out that there is no English option under audio for MHA. That's annoying, i think to my self. I hope i haven't wasted £7. So I have a Google around, and it definitely says that the dubbed version exists, and I should be able to watch it on CrunchyRoll.

So I go back into the CrunchyRoll app (which I love, by the way. So responsive. So intuitive.), and search again. Turns out the dubbed version is listed under an entirely different entry? Why?!?! Why isn't it just an audio option, it's the same show!

So I select the separate, dubbed version, and press play. Nothing happens. Nothing loads ,not even the player. I try downloading the episode to run offline, which is does, but when I try to play that, nothing happens. That's annoying, i think to my self. I hope i haven't wasted £7. 

So I have to switch to the browser version of the website, and finally i'm able to watch the show with the audio option i want. Glorious! I'll definitely be re-subscribing at the end of the month, and won't be taking to the high seas instead.

36 minutes ago, bob said:

It's time for my yearly rant about how shit CrunchyRoll is! Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

New season of My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan is out, so i figured it's time to try and watch! I prefer watching MHA with English dubbing, so I checked that it was available, it is was! Decide to pay for one month of CrunchyRoll, but upon doing so, I find out that there is no English option under audio for MHA. That's annoying, i think to my self. I hope i haven't wasted £7. So I have a Google around, and it definitely says that the dubbed version exists, and I should be able to watch it on CrunchyRoll.

So I go back into the CrunchyRoll app (which I love, by the way. So responsive. So intuitive.), and search again. Turns out the dubbed version is listed under an entirely different entry? Why?!?! Why isn't it just an audio option, it's the same show!

So I select the separate, dubbed version, and press play. Nothing happens. Nothing loads ,not even the player. I try downloading the episode to run offline, which is does, but when I try to play that, nothing happens. That's annoying, i think to my self. I hope i haven't wasted £7. 

So I have to switch to the browser version of the website, and finally i'm able to watch the show with the audio option i want. Glorious! I'll definitely be re-subscribing at the end of the month, and won't be taking to the high seas instead.

uhhhhhh, would now be a bad time to point out that the English dub for MHA won't be completed for another week or two? Only reason I know is I've been waiting on it (like you, for MHA I prefer the dub, mainly down to Sabat's All-Might); might not be a problem if you don't get through shows voraciously, but thought it was worth pointing out in case you do and then need to wait for the other episodes to release. 

Similarly, for AoT, not sure where you've got to with S4/The Final Season, but if you're up-to-date besides the most recent release, that release wasn't for a full season, just two episodes stretched into a nearly hour-long special. 

I'm going to stop myself because I sound like a right spoilsport, but enjoy them either way! AoT's most recent special was awesome :peace:

(also totally agree on a lot of your points about Crunchyroll, and find it very funny that it and Funimation have very unique issues that the other doesn't. I'm still confused about why they haven't pulled everything from Funimation yet and thrown it all on CR, considering it's all owned by Sony now, but eh ::shrug:)

Edited by Julius

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

uhhhhhh, would now be a bad time to point out that the English dub for MHA won't be completed for another week or two? Only reason I know is I've been waiting on it (like you, for MHA I prefer the dub, mainly down to Saban's All-Might); might not be a problem if you don't get through shows voraciously, but thought it was worth pointing out in case you do and then need to wait for the other episodes to release. 

Similarly, for AoT, not sure where you've got to with S4/The Final Season, but if you're up-to-date besides the most recent release, that release wasn't for a full season, just two episodes stretched into a nearly hour-long special. 

I'm going to stop myself because I sound like a right spoilsport, but enjoy them either way! AoT's most recent special was awesome :peace:

(also totally agree on a lot of your points about Crunchyroll, and find it very funny that it and Funimation have very unique issues that the other doesn't. I'm still confused about why they haven't pulled everything from Funimation yet and thrown it all on CR, considering it's all owned by Sony now, but eh ::shrug:)

Oh I know about AoT. But that takes so damn long to come out anyway, i dont mind. Plus i don't mind that one in Japanese, so I won't have to wait for the dub. 

I didn't realise that about the last few episodes of MHA, but maybe they'll release in time before my month runs out? 

2 minutes ago, bob said:

Oh I know about AoT. But that takes so damn long to come out anyway, i dont mind. Plus i don't mind that one in Japanese, so I won't have to wait for the dub. 

Oh yeah, you're not wrong, and honestly the special is fantastic and well worth checking out ASAP.

We're nearly there, just one more fourth and final part to this final season...

. . . right? 

:p

4 minutes ago, bob said:

I didn't realise that about the last few episodes of MHA, but maybe they'll release in time before my month runs out? 

Yep, they should do! Dub releases I've founded to be much more inconsistent since the whole COVID thing (which I guess makes sense), there are only two episodes left to be released as dubs and they're normally weekly releases, so even if they're delayed for whatever reason, I've got to imagine they should be out by the end of April :peace:

@Julius Crunchyroll have put up the Kaguya movie, but they've split it into episodes and only the first 2 are available currently.

So i've been watching Series 6 of My Hero Academia, i think i'm up to episode 126.

Spoiler

First impressions:

162.gif

The season starts off immediately, and doesn't have a lengthy re-cap...

2a3.gif

Heroes appear on screen and the announcer doesn't waste time explaining their quirk for the thousandth time...

52e.gif

Each episode has a good 15 mins of action in it, with no filler...

d46.gif

The first half of the season is 12 episodes straight of action and battles!

e52.gif

All of the plot-lines feel like they're actually going somewhere!!

33c.gif

The best hero - Best Jeanist is not only alive, he's back and kicking arse!!!

@Julius After 1 month I've reached the final 10 episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

If the ending is as amazing as everything has been so far...9.99999/10.

Why not 10/10?
Because it's yet another story where...

Spoiler

...someone doesn't get his well deserved revenge because "booohoooo, revenge bad, anger bad! :nono:

I wanted Mustang to fuck Envy up as he did with Lust. Would've been so much better than this stupid crap every fucking series/movie/book/etc. pulls :p

GIMME SOME FUCKING ANGER!

Anyways, not sure when I'll finish the anime. Maybe over the next few days depending on whether I can get away from my PS5. :p

• Like 1

On 02/04/2023 at 9:06 AM, Happenstance said:

Anyone read Blade of the Immortal? Is it worth getting?

if you've got prime video the anime is on there if you wanna take a look before commiting ot the manga.

Edited by martinist
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, martinist said:

if you've got prime video the anime is on there if you wanna take a look before commiting ot the manga.

That's a good idea thanks, I always forget to check Prime for any anime.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:26 PM, drahkon said:

If the ending is as amazing as everything has been so far

Perfect ending. :bowdown:

I'm really confused about where I am with Attack on Titan. I watched up to whatever was available last year, and now there are new episodes, but I'm not sure where I got to? I know the new episodes were technically Season 4, but I'm not sure where in Season 4 the new episodes start. CrunchyRoll is no help. It seems to have 5 seasons, albeit the fifth one is called season 6.86af74c8b6896e5fb47aa185a915d0e6.jpg

Has it all dropped yet? I don't think I'll get started until it has. Last I saw Eren was a spider.

Getting more into the swing with Overlord, instead of relying on the internet to stream I'll download it from the Funimation app, then can watch it with zero lag, with even watching it on my PC at home streaming wasn't perfect 

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

21 minutes ago, bob said:

I'm really confused about where I am with Attack on Titan. I watched up to whatever was available last year, and now there are new episodes, but I'm not sure where I got to? I know the new episodes were technically Season 4, but I'm not sure where in Season 4 the new episodes start. CrunchyRoll is no help. It seems to have 5 seasons, albeit the fifth one is called season 6.86af74c8b6896e5fb47aa185a915d0e6.jpg

All eight episodes listed in S6 are OVAs, maybe worth checking out if you just want more AoT and to see some of the extra stuff animated, but it won't be where you're picking up. 

Part I of S4 is everything from E60 - The Other Side of the Sea to E75 - Above and Below (16 episodes total), which finished airing in May 2021, so I think it's a safe bet to say you're past that point based on you saying you brought yourself up-to-date last year. 

Part II of S4 is everything from E76 - Judgment to E87 - The Dawn of Humanity (12 episodes total). This part finished airing in May 2022, so if you did watch everything that was available last year (depending on when last year you brought yourself up-to-date, and if you watch subbed or dubbed), then it seems likely that you finished Part II also, or at the very least a good chunk of it? 

Which leaves Part III/The Final Chapters, which is listed at the bottom of S4 as E-SP1 - THE FINAL CHAPTERS. This is just under an hour long and is basically two episodes in one, and the first half of AoT's finale. This released at the start of last month, so you definitely won't have watched this. 

Hope that helps :peace:

11 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Has it all dropped yet?

Not yet. The first half of the series finale was released at the start of last month as an hour-long special, and the second half is set to release this "Fall" (so, September at the earliest). 

• Like 1

Fair enough, many thanks Julius.

Anyone got any recommendations? There's a lot on the Funimation app.

22 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Anyone got any recommendations? There's a lot on the Funimation app.

Not sure what you have or haven't watched (or what you're looking for – so a bit of a shot in the dark!), but a quick flick through Funimation's catalogue makes me want to recommend one of Ranking of Kings or Kaguya-sama: Love is War, both of which are brilliant shows in their own right :peace: