NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

1 hour ago, bob said:

I've been intending to watch this after watching the original last year.

Where did you watch it? Is it on one of the streaming services?

I watched it on blu-ray this time, I've started to slowly immortalise some of my favourite series by putting them on my shelves :p

From what I can see it looks like it's still up on Funimation, but isn't on Crunchyroll yet? Which is odd considering the acquisition and so many dubs coming over to Crunchyroll since then, but I'm still waiting for shows like Yu Yu Hakusho to migrate over too ::shrug:

Actually, this is a good chance to share something I've found really cool and helpful over the years: I recommend because.moe/uk, which is an anime search engine specifically designed for finding where certain shows you're looking for are available (I've linked the UK site specifically, but they also have versions for the US, Canada, and Australia). It's best to click on the streaming service logos it shows just to double check they're still there (as oftentimes they'll keep the show's page despite the show leaving the service, such as for FMA:B having a Crunchyroll logo next to it, which messes the results up a little bit at times), but it's otherwise one of the more useful anime-watching tools I'd recommend :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 3:18 PM, bob said:

I've been intending to watch this after watching the original last year.

Where did you watch it? Is it on one of the streaming services?

It was on Netflix when I watched it a few years back.

I signed up for the Funimation free trial so that I could watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Didn't work. Kept getting an error when I tried to play the first episode.

So I cancelled it and pirated the series instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone read the Chainsaw Man manga? Just been looking for recommendations and it's been coming up a lot.

On 25/08/2022 at 7:56 PM, Happenstance said:

Anyone read the Chainsaw Man manga? Just been looking for recommendations and it's been coming up a lot.

I read the first part, and yeah it good. I found a lot of the characters looked the same so things got confusing at times.

I liked it but I won’t be reading the second part or watching the anime. Felt like part 1 was enough for me. I recommend checking it out.

Also as a general recommendation, Dandadan is really good.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 8:56 PM, Happenstance said:

Yup. I can pretty much just echo what Ike said. It's good, but gets confusing. Same with Jujutsu Kaisen, in my opinion. The drawings can be a bit of a mess at times.

Been reading Kaiju No. 8 and it's great fun. Good fights, very funny. I'd recommend.

And if anyone is up for incredible fights: Check out Record of Ragnarok.

Edited by drahkon

Watched the first few episodes of FMA:Brotherhood, and it's weird how much they've compressed some of the original series. Plot that i'm pretty sure took several episodes has been squeezed into one, or even just a quick scene. It does make me wonder what they're making space for though!

• Like 1

In a shocking turn of events that no-one could have predicted, RADWIMPS will be in charge of the soundtrack for Makoto Shinkai's next film, Suzuke no Tojimari

In other news, water is wet :p

A video has been released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Naurto anime. It highlights some of best moments from the series.

It's a shame it's only 10 minutes long. :( 

Man, peak Naruto was something else. I've got so many good moments from the series. 

• Like 2

The fact that you can just watch Bleach on Disney+ in the UK on the day it airs really goes to show how far things have changed. Back in that ^ era of Naruto the only way to watch the latest episode was to wait for the fans to rip it, subtitle it and share it online. Pretty crazy really! And that's nothing compared to the generation before that had to get pirate VHS at the market!

Great to support the creators directly, but a bit of me still misses fansubs with their karaoke animations etc and the anticipation of waiting for the release to drop each week!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BBC iPlayer has Dragon Ball Super as well, although it only goes up to the Future Trunks arc.

• Like 1

I've been discovering a certain classic shounen series this week. I'm sure we all know a certain Anime called Yu Yu Hakusho. Been spending most of my birthday week binge watching, at the Dark Tournament Arc, episode 44 and boy has it been enjoyable, I just love the 90's aesthetic, such a nostalgia trip.

On 25/08/2022 at 12:52 PM, bob said:

I signed up for the Funimation free trial so that I could watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Didn't work. Kept getting an error when I tried to play the first episode.

So I cancelled it and pirated the series instead.

So I finally finished watching Full-metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's amazing how different it is to the original. I thought I would be constantly annoyed at the similarities with minor changes, but it's like a completely different show. They get almost all of the original series parts out of the way after like 12 episodes, and the rest is completely brand new. And it's just so much better! The storyline is consistent and not a random mess by the end. I can't fathom how they ended up creating the first series, the whole thing is so bizarre.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it. Brotherhood is on another level compared to the other series. There are so many hype filled moments during the whole thing.

Spoiler

I was gutted when Mustang had his sight taken away from him but then when Hawkeye starts shouting coordinates to him and he starts clicking away...perfection.

Also, when Mustang finally finds out Envy killed Hughes and confronts the killer...brilliant. Him just snapping his fingers and throwing fireballs left and right. Love it.

Finally, Scar revealing he had a construction alchemy tattoo during the Wrath fight was glorious.

Man, I need to give the series another viewing.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Brotherhood is on another level compared to the other series. There are so many hype filled moments during the whole thing.

Spoilers (Hide contents)

I was gutted when Mustang had his sight taken away from him but then when Hawkeye starts shouting coordinates to him and he starts clicking away...perfection.

Also, when Mustang finally finds out Envy killed Hughes and confronts the killer...brilliant. Him just snapping his fingers and throwing fireballs left and right. Love it.

Finally, Scar revealing he had a construction alchemy tattoo during the Wrath fight was glorious.

Man, I need to give the series another viewing.

Spoiler

When they spend the whole series telling you that homunculi are invincible and immortal, and nothing can kill them, and then Mustang is just like "i'm going to pretend I didn't hear that" and just starts immolating Lust and burning her to a crisp. His fire alchemy was way too overpowered. 

The one thing that I really wanted them to do though, which they never did, was to use Alchemy to modify Alphonse's suit of armour. Obviously you can't change human anatomy with Alchemy, but he's just made of metal right? They could have given him sword hands, or made him 10 times the size or something. That would have been cool.

• Like 2

I personally find that Brotherhood's first 15 episodes are way too rushed. They were made for people who watched the 2003 series, but are pretty bad at properly introducing the setting for newcomers (for example, they cut the Youswell episode, despite that containing the whole backstory for Yoki. Also, I don't think they ever explain how Mustang's powers work).

After that, it's a pretty good adaptation of a 10/10 manga. There are so many scenes I love rewatching (like the tank scene. You know the one). Notably, every opening and ending manage to be great, too. It's nice to see more people finding the series, despite the rough, rushed start.

4 hours ago, bob said:

Mustang is just such a badass character (Reveal hidden contents)

When they spend the whole series telling you that homunculi are invincible and immortal, and nothing can kill them, and then Mustang is just like "i'm going to pretend I didn't hear that" and just starts immolating Lust and burning her to a crisp. His fire alchemy was way too overpowered. 

The one thing that I really wanted them to do though, which they never did, was to use Alchemy to modify Alphonse's suit of armour. Obviously you can't change human anatomy with Alchemy, but he's just made of metal right? They could have given him sword hands, or made him 10 times the size or something. That would have been cool.

Spoiler

You can, in fact, change a human's anatomy with alchemy, as that's what the chimeras are. It's just that it's very tricky to come up with a new form that still functions with pre-existing human organs and systems (for example, a human can gain a tail, but the bones and muscle required to move it need to come from somewhere. You also need things like blood vessels to run through the new limb, it must be very complicated).

There are also moments where alchemy is used for medical purposes. Ed heals his wound, Hohenheim rearranges Izumi's organs, and Dr.Marcoh fixes Mustang's blind eyes and Havoc's spine. Oh, and Scar's brother transplanted his own arm.

As for Alphonse getting weapons... great question, actually. They keep mentioning that it's costly to repair his armour, but surely, they can spare some iron and/or wood to guarantee that the kid always has a ranged weapon at his disposal? For whatever reason, I don't think even the manga suggests the possibility.

(I imagine they can't make Al 10 times the size because that would also require carrying more than 10 times the iron. Reminder that Envy can only turn into a monster because its human form is super dense, that is, the exact same weight as the monster)

Was joking with a friend the other day about how AoT would get a Part 3 announced for Final Season and it'll end on a cliffhanger for a film. 

But oh no it's worse, Part 3 is being split into two parts (cours):

And the trailer:

This...surely...it's actually going to end this year right? Right?! 

• Haha 1

Man, the fact that the "Final Season" turned out to have 4 cours is hilarious. Still doesn't match to Dragon Ball Z (the Z stands for "Final Letter") being twice as long as its predecessor, but it stands out more.

@Julius the Kaguya movie is showing at Odeon and Vue cinemas on the 15th and 16th, any plans to go see it? If it was showing at my nearest Vue I might have but I would have to go to an Odeon cinema and not sure I can be bothered.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

@Julius the Kaguya movie is showing at Odeon and Vue cinemas on the 15th and 16th, any plans to go see it? If it was showing at my nearest Vue I might have but I would have to go to an Odeon cinema and not sure I can be bothered.

I'll probably skip it as none of my local cinemas are showing it unfortunately, would be a bit of a trip for me to get to the nearest cinema with showings, but boy did they get the timing of the release over here right otherwise! :laughing:

Edited by Julius

Netflix have released the first sneak peek of Pluto, which will be coming to Netflix exclusively later this year: 

Not too keen on the CG, but the character and background art looks solid! Also liking the sound of the soundtrack, assuming this is a hint of what's to come with the show!

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

PV for the first half of Attack on Titan: Final Season - Part 3, which airs this Friday (3rd March) at 15:25 GMT: 

The main theme will be Under The Tree by SiM. 

Not long to go now! Friday's going to be a fun one :D

I thought Attack on Titan had already completely finished - because I saw people sending death threats because they hated how it ended so much? Or was that just the manga.