NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

@Julius Help me. Been watching AoT Season 4 for 2 1/2 hours now. It's so good.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

In other news, I just caught up to Spy x Family. I started reading the manga shortly before the series debuted (thanks to a good bit of foresight from the Portuguese manga publisher), and I can say that this is a very good adaptation, which is not easy to do for comedy. There's even a new scenes/segments that fit the original material like a glove.

I'd say the first couple of episodes feel a tad rushed (makes sense, they're trying to establish the premise & status quo ASAP), but it's all smooth sailing after that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, drahkon said:

It's so good.

As always: pacing issues, but it's very well written.

Now time for Season 4 Part 2. And after that...wait for the final part :( 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

Now time for Season 4 Part 2

4 Episodes in.

Spoiler

Oh, so this is a time loop thing now?

Still not sure if Eren is actually mad and evil. It looks like he wants to destroy the world, but to what end? Technically, a destroyed world is peaceful...

Maybe he wants to make himself "the most evil being ever" and unite the world by making them come together and fight him?

Interesting stuff. 
Will watch more tomorrow :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, drahkon said:

Will watch more tomorrow :D 

5th Episode...

Spoiler

I see...so Eren has become Hitler. :blank: 

And all this stuff about that "Parasite"? Or whatever it is?
Just some random being deciding to cause some mayhem?

Not entirely sure what to think of this development. It's all way too "out there" for me. What was once a nicely condensed plot has become something that is way too "grand". 

5th Episode...
Spoiler I see...so Eren has become Hitler. :blank: 
And all this stuff about that "Parasite"? Or whatever it is?
Just some random being deciding to cause some mayhem?
Not entirely sure what to think of this development. It's all way too "out there" for me. What was once a nicely condensed plot has become something that is way too "grand". 

You could say it 'tranformed' into something more 'titanic'.

Berserk is going to be continuing in the hands of some of those Miura trusted most:

Nervous after hearing how the accidental ending as a result of his untimely death was perfect in its own way, but we'll see what happens! 

Watching anything on Crunchyroll or Funimation continues to be an excruciating experience. I realise that they want people to subscribe, but the adverts are genuinely awful.
Any adverts for an anime tend to just be 20 seconds of people gasping or screaming, with no indication of what the show is about at all.
Sometimes the volume level on certain ads will just double (looking at you Ni No Kuni - Cross Worlds), forcing you to turn the volume down, whereby your can't hear the show when it finally returns.
Often, they'll just play the same advert multiple times (4 in a row is my current record). It's not going to make me want the product any more.
The choice of advert is sometimes a bit suspect - adverts for all inclusive holidays in the Maldives. Is that your target audience Funimation? People who can't afford a £5 a month subscription to your cartoon steaming service?

It really gives the apps/services an amateur feel.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bob said:

Watching anything on Crunchyroll or Funimation continues to be an excruciating experience. I realise that they want people to subscribe, but the adverts are genuinely awful.
Any adverts for an anime tend to just be 20 seconds of people gasping or screaming, with no indication of what the show is about at all.
Sometimes the volume level on certain ads will just double (looking at you Ni No Kuni - Cross Worlds), forcing you to turn the volume down, whereby your can't hear the show when it finally returns.
Often, they'll just play the same advert multiple times (4 in a row is my current record). It's not going to make me want the product any more.

Yup. It's why I stopped watching Boruto. I couldn't take the constant, repeating adverts. 

I'll probably subscribe at some point but yeah I couldn't keep watching the free streams, it was too annoying.

Watched the 2nd season of Mob Psycho 100. It was ok. Other than his master and a couple of others, most of the characters are pretty forgettable and pointless. The final 'battle was pretty cool, although they seemed to have broken/forgotten about the whole 100% psychic brain power mechanic, so maybe they'll rename the show for season 3?

On 26/04/2022 at 11:07 AM, Julius said:

In the week before Part 2 finished, I went back and watched the second season of Kaguya-sama: Love is War after loving the first. It's genuinely one of the funniest anime I've watched that doesn't feel like it's trying too hard to be funny, the cast of characters are all completely relatable and loveable, and man, there are just a few too many times where I got thinking back to my high school experience and was facepalming realising how many times these sorts of things happened to me and my friends. 

Excellent and pretty short, can't recommend it enough, and it's nothing if not consistent in quality from start to finish. Yeah, another 9/10

Finished season 1. Best characters are

Spoiler
  • Raman Connoisseur guy
  • Chika & Ishigami
  •  Ai Hayasaka

Surprised they only used the Chika Dance ending once considering how viral it went (and it seemed like a lot of work).

• Like 1

On 17/06/2022 at 9:04 AM, Julius said:

Trigun is getting a sequel series next year: Trigun Stampede!

Ah, crazy. Trigun and Evangelion were pretty much my intro to anime. I've tried to go back to Trigun and rewatch over the years, but it's a bit too filler heavy. Be crazy to see what might be made of it with a more modern approach.

On 28/06/2022 at 6:45 PM, Ike said:

Finished season 1. Best characters are

Reveal hidden contents
  • Raman Connoisseur guy
  • Chika & Ishigami
  •  Ai Hayasaka

Surprised they only used the Chika Dance ending once considering how viral it went (and it seemed like a lot of work).

Finished season 2 and it was better than season 1. Kaguya comes off a bit dumber this season but it was worth it for the gags. Glad they deviated a bit from them trying to 1-up each other each episode and do something a bit different. The ending of the season was hilarious. Hopefully season 3 lives up to expectations.

The second trailer for Shinkai's next film, Suzume no Tajimari, continues to show off how beautiful this film will be. 

That song gives me chills too :D can't wait! 

16 hours ago, Julius said:

The second trailer for Shinkai's next film, Suzume no Tajimari, continues to show off how beautiful this film will be. 

That song gives me chills too :D can't wait! 

This is looking good, can't wait.

On 10/07/2022 at 10:27 PM, Ike said:

Finished season 2 and it was better than season 1. Kaguya comes off a bit dumber this season but it was worth it for the gags. Glad they deviated a bit from them trying to 1-up each other each episode and do something a bit different. The ending of the season was hilarious. Hopefully season 3 lives up to expectations.

Finished season 3. Not as good as Season 2 but still good.

Spoiler

I think they should have exchanged the heart balloons they caught, then neither of them "loses" because they essentially confess at the same time, despite the lengths Shirogane went and asking Shinomiya to join him should have been a confession in itself. It was kinda annoying how they went back on themselves saying they would confess if the other didn't. We got a kiss but things still seem a bit status quo, hoping their relationship moves on in the next season (or movie).

Feels like Ishigami and Miko will end up together, just that Ishigami hasn't realised yet. :heh:

Might check out the manga during the wait for season 4 and the movie.

On 07/06/2022 at 1:18 PM, bob said:

The choice of advert is sometimes a bit suspect - adverts for all inclusive holidays in the Maldives. Is that your target audience Funimation? People who can't afford a £5 a month subscription to your cartoon steaming service?

It really gives the apps/services an amateur feel.

It's worth it for a fiver. There have been a few months where I've not watched much, but for those binge seshes, the removal of ads is amazing.

Yeah I think £4.99 a month is low enough to get me to subscribe finally. It'd be nice to get back into anime properly. It's been a while.

Edited by Happenstance

On 7/17/2022 at 12:44 PM, Ike said:

Finished season 3. Not as good as Season 2 but still good.

Season 3 spoilers (Hide contents)

I think they should have exchanged the heart balloons they caught, then neither of them "loses" because they essentially confess at the same time, despite the lengths Shirogane went and asking Shinomiya to join him should have been a confession in itself. It was kinda annoying how they went back on themselves saying they would confess if the other didn't. We got a kiss but things still seem a bit status quo, hoping their relationship moves on in the next season (or movie).

Feels like Ishigami and Miko will end up together, just that Ishigami hasn't realised yet. :heh:

Yeah, I thought Season 3 was a bit of a step down from Season 2 too, though it's still very good, definitely been a shift from where I feel like the first season was 90% comedy and 10% serious/romance, to the second season which felt like 70% comedy and 30% serious/romance (which I think is a good sweet spot), whereas the third season felt like it was closer to a 50/50 split. 

That being said, still had some great references and moments of animation, and some of the funniest moments of the show so far all in one episode...

Spoiler

Fujiwara killed me :laughing:

Honestly, the show reminds me a lot of my feelings on Spy x Family. It doesn't do anything wrong - in fact, it does almost everything right - but I see it topping the all-time chart on MAL and it's just tough for me to put the show in the same category as some of the other shows close to the top of the pile; then again, it is nice to see a comedy getting its dues for a change, because it's still must-watch anime if you like to laugh at all when watching TV :D

Started Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for a fourth time a couple of weeks ago as something to accompany me while I started using my exercise bike again, and well...I finished it last week in the space of a week and a half or so. Yeah, it didn't remain an exercise bike exclusive watch for me for very long. 

I said this in 2020 before rewatching Hunter x Hunter...

On 10/19/2020 at 1:40 AM, Julius said:

This is, without question, my favourite anime series alongside only Steins;Gate and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, with all three in my eyes being several notches above the rest. This sits alongside them atop my pile of fabled 10's.

Do yourself a favour, if you haven't seen it before, and give it a chance of sitting alongside yours :peace:

...and then this after finishing my rewatch...

On 11/9/2020 at 1:54 AM, Julius said:

This is, without question, my favourite anime series alongside only Steins;Gate and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, with all three in my eyes being several notches above the rest. This sits alongside them atop my pile of fabled 10's.

3b3697a164590cfd8b06166a4a2099ff.gif

This is, without question, my favourite anime series. 

tumblr_msfkkt1rcd1qhfll9o1_500.gif

So, uhhhhhhhh...

fullmetal-alchemist.gif

...I'm here to take that back.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is at least on par with HxH, and in some ways is much better - most importantly, it doesn't drag its heels at all, neatly getting in and out in the space of 64 episodes, during which it delivers a masterpiece of a storyline, with a massive frequently recurring cast which puts many other stories to shame, a great hard magic system in alchemy, an excellent score, and excellent character arcs. Most importantly: pretty much every character who isn't just sitting in the background has a clear want, and they do their damn best to go after it. 

There's a reason it is one of the most highly rated anime series out there, topping many lists online and being featured in many debates about the best anime of all time. I think the show most comparable to it, funnily enough, is probably Avatar: The Last Airbender: they're of similar lengths, and have many, many similar strengths throughout their run. FMA:B is also, I'd argue, the best starting point for people getting into anime today with very little exposure to the medium otherwise - it perfectly waves together a story in a distinctly Western setting with an important understanding and representation of conflict and differences in culture, and the occasional weirdness of anime, from its comedic moments to some horrifically darker ones. 

Unironically: 11/10.

There are 10's and then there are masterpieces like this. It's FMA:B, HxH, Steins;Gate, and Princess Mononoke at the pinnacle of anime for me. 

Now I'm left thinking about going back to the 2003 series and picking up the manga...or rewatching  Steins;Gate :D 

Started Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for a fourth time a couple of weeks ago as something to accompany me while I started using my exercise bike again, and well...I finished it last week in the space of a week and a half or so. Yeah, it didn't remain an exercise bike exclusive watch for me for very long. 
I said this in 2020 before rewatching Hunter x Hunter...
So, uhhhhhhhh...
fullmetal-alchemist.gif
...I'm here to take that back.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is at least on par with HxH, and in some ways is much better - most importantly, it doesn't drag its heels at all, neatly getting in and out in the space of 64 episodes, during which it delivers a masterpiece of a storyline, with a massive frequently recurring cast which puts many other stories to shame, a great hard magic system in alchemy, an excellent score, and excellent character arcs. Most importantly: pretty much every character who isn't just sitting in the background has a clear want, and they do their damn best to go after it. 
There's a reason it is one of the most highly rated anime series out there, topping many lists online and being featured in many debates about the best anime of all time. I think the show most comparable to it, funnily enough, is probably Avatar: The Last Airbender: they're of similar lengths, and have many, many similar strengths throughout their run. FMA:B is also, I'd argue, the best starting point for people getting into anime today with very little exposure to the medium otherwise - it perfectly waves together a story in a distinctly Western setting with an important understanding and representation of conflict and differences in culture, and the occasional weirdness of anime, from its comedic moments to some horrifically darker ones. 
Unironically: 11/10.
There are 10's and then there are masterpieces like this. It's FMA:B, HxH, Steins;Gate, and Princess Mononoke at the pinnacle of anime for me. 
Now I'm left thinking about going back to the 2003 series and picking up the manga...or rewatching  Steins;Gate  
I've been intending to watch this after watching the original last year.

Where did you watch it? Is it on one of the streaming services?