NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

Episode 4 of Attack on Titan Season 4 is another awesome episode. So far it's been all killer, no filler, and I'm loving it. 

Spoiler

Credits were about to start rolling and I was wondering why we hadn't seen the scene teased at the end of last week's episode with Reiner's reaction to something (clearly Eren), then figured it seemed an obvious choice for a post credits scene. Yeah, it was a great choice. Chills. 

Learning a bit more about this squad, seeing them interact, learning more about the world and specifically about the Tybur family was really interesting.

Seeing Eren talk to his grandfather was heartbreaking, that scene in the flashbacks during Season 3 left me taking it all in for quite a few minutes after the episode, and so it was interesting to see how other members of the family were impacted. 

Cannot wait for next week, really enjoying keeping up with the weekly release of new episodes, because there hasn't really been any redundancy in what we've had so far this season. Strong pacing, great animation, stellar soundtrack, and always an awesome tease for what's next. Loving it! 

• Like 1

Quite possibly the best Manga I've ever read is getting an anime adaptation :o

They have to put in a lot of effort into the fights...with subpar animation this anime will suck.

I wanted to check out Samurai Champloo on Netflix.. But it doesn't even have English subtitles (and, weridly enough, not even an English dub).

I mean, it would have been a nice way to try to learn some French.. But I suspect the translation is garbage. Guy kept asking for more "raviolis".

• Haha 1

Man, that Attack on Titan...

Spoiler

The scene where Eren slurps Lala Tybur's blood is just as disgusting as I remember it. When that happened in the Manga, I was stunned. I had seen the parallels between Eren's attack and Reiner&Bertholdt's attack, but that was the first time I thought "Eren is more terrifying than the mindless titans".

Also, the scene with Pieck and the Panzer Unit being engulfed in flames is terrifying.

These episodes are such a rollercoaster of emotions, even when I know what will happen.

Been working my way through Tokyo Ghoul on Netflix. Pretty good show so far but i'm only abot 6 episodes in. Gonna be a while untill i can work my way through all three seasons.

The second season of Demon Slayer has been announced.

EuMTvBdXEAI5yMf?format=jpg&name=medium

No surprise that there's a second season, or that it's going to be a returning ufotable staff and voice cast, but I think it's a (very welcome) surprise that it's scheduled to be arriving in 2021, considering that we're still waiting on Mugen Train (the film) to release in many places internationally. 

It's going to be adapting the Entertainment District arc, which I've seen online (and asked my little brother about), and the general consensus seems to be that it's an arc which will probably be good for adapting in one cour, which is also pretty exciting. 

Oh, and it's on Funimation and Netflix (where it has been crushing it the last few weeks) in the UK now (and I imagine in other places too), so there's zero excuse to miss out :p

• Like 1

Just finished first season of Assassination Classroom.  Loved it. Quirky, funny, great premise/characters. 

Now for the second season!

As soon as Attack on Titan and Dr Stone gets more dubbing I'll be jumping back into that.

Funimation also has caused me to discover Cells at Work, which draws immediate parallel to Once Upon a Time... Life from our youth. Unfortunately the app only has it subbed (in UK, dubbed in US app, boo) which plays havoc with the scientific terminology. So another one to wait for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Just finished first season of Assassination Classroom.  Loved it. Quirky, funny, great premise/characters. 

Now for the second season!

I watched both seasons of Assassination Classroom over Christmas, and absolutely loved it too, so good to hear you're enjoying it. Some of those OP's are great too! 

Season 2 is one hell of a ride :peace:

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 7:19 PM, Julius said:

I watched both seasons of Assassination Classroom over Christmas, and absolutely loved it too, so good to hear you're enjoying it. Some of those OP's are great too! 

Season 2 is one hell of a ride :peace:

Amazing. Didn't think I'd find an anime as gripping, but it pulled it off. One of those things where you would *like* more, but its not needed

• Like 1

Figured I'd share this here, a Humble Manga Bundle for the Spring Anime season is available if anyone fancies a load of cheap manga with such titles as That Time I reincarnated as a Slime, Shaman King and Eden Zero.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/spring-2021-anime-season-books?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_2_c_spring2021animeseason_bookbundle

Also watched the first episode of "Please Don't Bully me, Miss Nagatoro" (Also available in the aforementioned Humble Bundle) and that first episode was much better than I expected, it's got a sizeable budget which is evident from the very start of the episode which is very pleasing. It adapted the source material really well as well, I'm gonna suffer waiting for it to come out weekly.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

So did anyone else finish Attack on Titan the other day?

I felt it ended well, brought about the story to a good close. Loved the series overall.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kav said:

So did anyone else finish Attack on Titan the other day?

I felt it ended well, brought about the story to a good close. Loved the series overall.

Yes, I read it too. I have some minor misgivings for now, but my opinion is the same as yours.

Spoiler

"End of all titans, but humanity keeps on warring" seems like the most realistic ending. Plus, it sounds like Eren didn't expect his death to unite the world either, he merely trusted Armin to make the best out of it.

My misgivings are with the mechanics of the titan powers, which got really arbitrary by the end. Like, Eren gets separated from the Hallucigenia, but he still transforms into a colossal Attack Titan? Why is the Hallucigenia's existence tied to Ymir's will? Stuff like that got oddly complicated. Nothing wrong with ambiguous mystical powers, but if you reach a point where you don't know what's alive and what's dead, it's a sign that a simpler approach would've been better.

On a more minor light, it's weird that Armin thanks Eren for mass murder... Maybe some nuance is just lost in the translation, but that seemed like a really weird thing to say.

But yeah, those are minor issues, and it's entirely possible the anime will make them clearer anyway. It was a fitting end to an excellent story, and I felt it when Mikasa looked upon a wall-less Shiganshina. And also when Levi did his final salute, that was a great moment.

• Like 1

Oda delivering the goods as per usual.

One Piece 1010 was soooo good!

It’s on break next week but my god it’s going to be great!!!

I stopped reading One Piece around volume 70. Still waiting for that fouth manga box set to be released.

Upon a recommendation of a friend, who introduced me to Prison School and in turn I tried to get her started on Seven Deadly Sins, and then Assassination Classroom  - excuses ranging from "I haven't gotten round to it yet" / "I forgot" (when she was off work for 2 weekz) / "I will after I've watched all of Breaking Bad" / "I'm rewatching* Akame Ga Kill"

So giving that a try, enjoying it thus far, feels familiar and somehow fresh at the same time.

*REWATCHING?!

• Like 1

So there's that new Mamoru Hosoda film coming this year.

Suzu, is a 17-year old high school girl, who lives in the countryside of Kochi Prefecture with her father, after losing her mother at a young age.

She loves singing with her mother more than anything else, but as a result of her mother’s death was no longer able to sing.

It wasn’t long before she and her father grew more and more distant from each other, and Suzu closed her heart to the rest of the world.

When Suzu felt that writing music was her only purpose left in life, she then discovers the massive online space known as “U,” where she takes on her persona, Belle.

Another me.
Another reality.
We are no longer limited to a single world.

Suzu quickly realizes that when she is inside “U” as her avatar, Belle, she can sing quite naturally. As she continues to showcase her own music in the virtual world, she fast becomes the rising star of “U.”

Nonetheless, that surprise is short-lived. Suddenly, a mysterious dragon-shaped creature appears before her…

So it's Hosoda's third attempt at the Digimon Movie after Summer Wars :p I kid (kind of), but hey, if it ain't broke I guess? We best see a King Kazma cameo is all I'm saying.

It's a collaborative effort between Studio Chizu and Cartoon Saloon (The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, The Breadwinner, and Wolfwalkers), and they're bringing in former Disney animator Jin Kim for Belle (the pink-haired titular character), so I feel like Hosoda is really gunning for an Oscar win. And, more seriously, it looks like Summer Wars meets Beauty and the Beast to an extent. Which...is intriguing. 

Loved his previous works (think the only one I haven't watched is his One Piece movie, but as someone who doesn't watch or read One Piece, I guess that makes sense!), and so I'm very excited for this :D

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2021 at 7:01 PM, Kav said:

Oda delivering the goods as per usual.

One Piece 1010 was soooo good!

It’s on break next week but my god it’s going to be great!!!

I’m still gutted One Piece is on break this week... now I’ve been hyped for the big fights in One Piece many a time, but I can’t remember being quite this hyped for a fight for a good while!

It’s going to be epic!

On 14/04/2021 at 6:46 PM, Happenstance said:

Bit of a shame, hope it ends up getting us more series over though and reduce the "content not available in your region" issues.

On 15/04/2021 at 9:05 AM, Kav said:

I’m still gutted One Piece is on break this week... now I’ve been hyped for the big fights in One Piece many a time, but I can’t remember being quite this hyped for a fight for a good while!

It’s going to be epic!

I need to start catching up at some point, but I probably need to go back to the start of Whole-Cake island I think I only read bits and pieces.

42 minutes ago, Ike said:

Bit of a shame, hope it ends up getting us more series over though and reduce the "content not available in your region" issues.

It blows mind that Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z aren't available over here on any streaming services. Not sure if this is necessarily a sign of that coming to fruition, but I wish they'd get their act together when it comes to some of their distribution rights. 

But first they can fix the app :D

Not sure how I missed this, but Demon Slayer: Mugen Train is coming to cinemas in the UK on May 26th. 

Still no word on home release though :sad:

Have started reading Demon Slayer
Pretty good so far. The fights haven't been anything spectacular, though. Maybe (hopefully) that'll change soon. At chapter 13, so it's still early days :D 

Also gave Chainsaw Man a go. 
5 chapters in and it's already batshit insane :laughing: Not sure if I like it, yet. Will give it a few more chapters and decide later.

Obviously also reading One Piece, which - as usual - suffers from horrible pacing issues...

One Punch Man has been incredible from the start. The current arc is crazy good.

Record of Ragnarok continues to have amazing fights. But chapters come out so infrequently it's infuriating :D 

Dragon Ball Super is fun for what it is. Nothing truly groundbreaking is happening but it would seem a big fight's about to go down.

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Have started reading Demon Slayer
Pretty good so far. The fights haven't been anything spectacular, though. Maybe (hopefully) that'll change soon. At chapter 13, so it's still early days :D 

My younger brother has been keeping up to date with the volume releases, and from what he's told me, the anime essentially makes some of those fights what they are. He still loves it, but can't wait to see how ufotable adapt it. 

So, once you get to the end of chapter 52 where the first season ends, might be worth checking out some of those Season 1 fights online :p easily some of the best fight animations, they knocked it out of the park, and you're missing out on some stellar music too! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

So, once you get to the end of chapter 52 where the first season ends, might be worth checking out some of those Season 1 fights online :p easily some of the best fight animations, they knocked it out of the park, and you're missing out on some stellar music too! 

I intend to watch the the anime anyways, so don't tell me what I'd be missing out on :p 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

I intend to watch the the anime anyways

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9527b16d8e280d5c1a09

• Haha 1