NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

7 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Thinking about trying to go to one of the Weathering With You cinema showings this month.

My local cinema is doing a double bill of Your Name & Weathering with you, so I might go to that.

Also, One Piece Stampede is getting a UK cinema release on the 2nd February, We were meant to get Gold but it never happened and it hasn't even gotten a DVD/Blu-ray release for some reason. 

9 hours ago, Ike said:

My local cinema is doing a double bill of Your Name & Weathering with you, so I might go to that.

Yeah I was tempted to head to Birmingham to see the double feature. Haven't decided yet which I'll do.

Solo Leveling... so much hype right now!

So much hype!!! :bouncy:

On 08/01/2020 at 5:13 PM, Kav said:

Solo Leveling... so much hype right now!

So much hype!!! :bouncy:

Today is the day for the next chapter’s release... :grin:

I love this series so much that I caved and read the light novel it’s based on... its so good!

Been watching the Pokémon Sword/Shield anime and this may have been happening before but whenever someone catches a Pokémon the Pokédex (or Rotom or whatever it is) says "good" or "excellent" like it does in Let's Go (and I assume Go) and it just then led me down a weird mental rabbit's hole of thinking about how the Pokédex is seemingly always watching everything. It knows when a ball has been thrown and how well it's been thrown. It then knows the Pokémon inside it. It knows which Pokémon are near... That's some Google level of surveillance right there.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the anime.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 06/01/2020 at 1:34 PM, Happenstance said:

Ended up going for just the single showing so I've booked for 30th Jan.

I ended up going to the double bill, will refrain from posting thoughts until later though.

On 15/01/2020 at 12:31 PM, Ashley said:

Been watching the Pokémon Sword/Shield anime and this may have been happening before but whenever someone catches a Pokémon the Pokédex (or Rotom or whatever it is) says "good" or "excellent" like it does in Let's Go (and I assume Go) and it just then led me down a weird mental rabbit's hole of thinking about how the Pokédex is seemingly always watching everything. It knows when a ball has been thrown and how well it's been thrown. It then knows the Pokémon inside it. It knows which Pokémon are near... That's some Google level of surveillance right there.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the anime.

Are you watching the Japanese version or has the English version started already?

16 minutes ago, Ike said:

I ended up going to the double bill, will refrain from posting thoughts until later though.

The single showing worked out better timing-wise for me but I’m definitely regretting not going to the double just so I could see it earlier after seeing all the positive comments coming out.

On 18/01/2020 at 12:54 PM, Ike said:

Are you watching the Japanese version or has the English version started already?

Japanese. From what I read the license for the English version hasn't been sorted yet.

Just got back from seeing Weathering With You. I really enjoyed it. Probably preferred the story of Your Name but the animation in Weathering was amazing.

On 30/01/2020 at 9:56 PM, Happenstance said:

Just got back from seeing Weathering With You. I really enjoyed it. Probably preferred the story of Your Name but the animation in Weathering was amazing.

Yeah that's pretty much my thoughts.

Spoiler

Although when they said it took place in Toyko I just knew they would have references to Your Name.

Back from watching One Piece Stampede, enjoyed it overall but it suffers the same problem as the manga where there's too many characters and the Straw Hats end up getting sidelined and it it ends up jumping about and things happen off-screen.

The cinema wasn't anywhere near as packed as when I went to see the Broly movie I guess One Piece still hasn't caught up to Dragon Ball in terms of popularity.

21 minutes ago, Ike said:

Yeah that's pretty much my thoughts.

Hide contents

Although when they said it took place in Toyko I just knew they would have references to Your Name.

Spoiler

I had to laugh when the main guy from Your Name appeared as a group of girls at the back of the cinema audibly squeed.

I was amazed that they actually had the weather damage to Tokyo stick. I really hope we get more movies in this universe.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Weathering Spoilers (Hide contents)

I had to laugh when the main guy from Your Name appeared as a group of girls at the back of the cinema audibly squeed.

I was amazed that they actually had the weather damage to Tokyo stick. I really hope we get more movies in this universe.

Spoiler

Oh yeah, I was surprised about that too, and kind of funny in a way.

I find it funny how weird stuff happens in both the movies and no one seems to bat an eyelid or even question it.

I found it a bit disaoppointing story-wise. Defintely not on the same level as Your Name. Still looked pretty though. Senpai Nagi was cool too.

Oh wow, One Piece is finally available on Crunchyroll in the UK (and a bunch of other European countries). I hear it's improved since the Wano arc started so might be time to start watching again.

Going to see the second MHA movie in cinemas this week. Didn't really like the first movie at all, no idea if this one is meant to be better but should be a cool experience just seeing it on the big screen!

Going to see the second MHA movie in cinemas this week. Didn't really like the first movie at all, no idea if this one is meant to be better but should be a cool experience just seeing it on the big screen!
Is that the one where they go to America and meet the inventor guy?

I watched that on Netflix a week or two ago. It felt like a bad fan fiction.

Yeah that's the one. At least with anime movie adaptations of popular franchises, even if the story is corny, you expect the animation to ramp up a few notches. That felt like a filler arc and the animation I think actually dipped below the quality of the show. And they way they force every character into it.... :blank:

The second movie was much much better and a treat to watch in the cinema. Subbed, as well! The world’s changed!

So I've been slowly amassing a collection of Watamote, or "No matter how I look at it, it's you guys fault i'm not popular" currently 15 volumes in. It's gotten alot less cringy and I don't like that, I read it for the cringe and awkwardness.

Also collecting Don't toy with me miss Nagatoro. It's about a girl that just torments a guy and pushes him around. Kinda fun in a wierd way.

I don't really watch alot of anime anymore, I've got a Crunchyroll subscription but I hardly use it.

Finished season 4 of My Hero Academia. Pretty good on the whole, but what is going on with their season pacing?

Basically have a season finale 5 or 6 episodes from the end, and then have have a dozen filler episodes to run down the clock of them putting on a concert and thwarting a B-level paedo criminal. Just bizarre.

1 hour ago, bob said:

Finished season 4 of My Hero Academia. Pretty good on the whole, but what is going on with their season pacing?

Basically have a season finale 5 or 6 episodes from the end, and then have have a dozen filler episodes to run down the clock of them putting on a concert and thwarting a B-level paedo criminal. Just bizarre.

I've yet to watch Season 4, but I read the manga up to what's probably mid-Season 5 last year, so I know what happens. I was actually concerned about the show's potential pacing in S4 after reading the manga and having an idea of what it might cover, down to the season starting with the longest arc in the manga and likely having to end with some substantially shorter (and completely different toned) arcs. I watched the first few episodes of this season and it was absolutely unnecessary filler, and I think they should've just dived right in, because at a quick glance, there's a lot of stuff to drag out the Shie Hassaikai Arc too, I'm guessing to give us a mid-season cliffhanger? Again, haven't seen it yet, so idk. 

I quite liked the Remedial Exam Arc in the manga, but even there the U.A. School Festival Arc was a bit light and oddly paced. Ideally, I think it's something that you want early- to mid-season, because it's no way to or end a season, at least from what I remember.

Was also concerned a bit about the animation quality potentially taking a dip too because they've been stretching themselves with the films, but I've yet to see anything that gives that impression. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed it on the whole, though. I'm probably going to wait until the dub is finished next month before catching up.