NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

Watch My Hero Academia instead.
I probably will. I found out yesterday that there are only three episodes of Mob 100 left, so I doubt it's going to get that much better.

@Kav Are you watching the The Promised Neverland anime?

While the manga is better, the anime is still really good. So far, the first arc is handled incredibly well. It's so much fun reliving the cat and mouse game in Grace Field.

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

@Kav Are you watching the The Promised Neverland anime?

While the manga is better, the anime is still really good. So far, the first arc is handled incredibly well. It's so much fun reliving the cat and mouse game in Grace Field.

I don’t really watch anime much, just read manga - I’ll check it out though as I do like to watch certain ones.

On 27/02/2019 at 9:28 AM, bob said:

It's definitely not as good as One Punch Man.... Not bad though. Seems to be really slow in getting going; I'm on episode 8 and not a huge amount has happened yet. The Claw has just shown up though, so hopefully it'll pick up.

If you were hoping for Superhero stuff, then Mob really isn't what you were looking for (it's more a coming of age story). I third the My Hero Academia recommendation as it's more up that alley.

Well I mean, Mob has more in common with One Punch Man, it's a comedy about an overpowered main character who's a bit dense to their own ability. I wasn't really suggesting @bob would like MHA because its got superheroes like OPM (they're very different). It was more just a suggestion of how to make use of his orphaned Crunchyroll trial :p 

• Like 1

Well I mean, Mob has more in common with One Punch Man, it's a comedy about an overpowered main character who's a bit dense to their own ability. I wasn't really suggesting [mention=229]bob[/mention] would like MHA because its got superheroes like OPM (they're very different). It was more just a suggestion of how to make use of his orphaned Crunchyroll trial  
Yeah I understand why it got recommended - they both have a similar sense of humour, but OPM has a better plot and is generally more exciting all the way through.

The last three or four episodes of MP100 is actually a lot better - they needed to use the character of Reigen more, the interplay between him and Mob is hilarious and the focus of the show should have been on those two imho.

Anyway, I'll watch MHA next since it seems to have consensus.

21 minutes ago, Kav said:

:shakehead

I don't even watch/read One Piece, and this has me sweating :hmm: my problem with anime being adapted to live-action is that - unlike with say a remake of a film, or a book adaptation - it can very easily tamper with their perceptions of anime/the original source material for newcomers to anime/a certain series ::shrug: 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2018 at 9:25 AM, drahkon said:

...Also started reading Dr Stone but find it to be utterly boring. ::shrug:

I didn’t bother reading it at first after I saw this post but after a while of not clicking with much I gave it a go and I love it... I got fully caught up in a couple days.

33 minutes ago, Kav said:

I didn’t bother reading it at first after I saw this post but after a while of not clicking with much I gave it a go and I love it... I got fully caught up in a couple days.

It's one of those "you need to read X chapters before it gets good" kinds of Manga. 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2019 at 9:19 PM, Kav said:

:shakehead

This is just based on the fact that there's a listing for One Piece in the wrong category on Netflix?? How am I the only one thinking this is a real stretch? (heh)

Watched S1 of My Hero Academia. It's ok... definitely has potential, but the first season is really slow, and not much happens. Every episode seems to consist of 10 mins of summing up what happened + flashbacks, then 5 mins of stuff happening, then 10 mins of discussing what just happened.

They all stand about analysing exactly what each punch means, and explaining everything. It makes the fights seem really slow and cumbersome.

Anyway, I'm starting S2 because I am really enjoying the superhero school vibe. It's very X-Men.

1 hour ago, bob said:

They all stand about analysing exactly what each punch means, and explaining everything. It makes the fights seem really slow and cumbersome.

That's why I stopped reading the manga at chapter 180 or something. It's so annoying. You have 2 pages of the fight itself and at least 5 with conversations about how the fight went down. ::shrug: 

Some stills from Makoto Shinkai's upcoming film Weathering with You

aqe9o56256p21.jpg

siz2756256p21.jpg

njnmwnarpdp21.jpg

Looks exactly like a Shinkai movie, which is to say that it's stunningly beautiful :bowdown:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I finally watched the new Broly movie. I hadn't felt this much adrenaline in a movie theatre since... ever, I think!

I never thought an animated fight could look this good. Hot damn! I absolutely recommend watching this in theatres if you still can. Serious candidate for best Dragon Ball movie ever.

On 04/04/2019 at 4:01 PM, bob said:

Watched S1 of My Hero Academia. It's ok... definitely has potential, but the first season is really slow, and not much happens. Every episode seems to consist of 10 mins of summing up what happened + flashbacks, then 5 mins of stuff happening, then 10 mins of discussing what just happened.

Anyway, I'm starting S2 because I am really enjoying the superhero school vibe. It's very X-Men.

I have the opposite opinion. I always thought MHA was quite fast-paced, as they waste very little time in fluff. On the other hand, it is true Season 1 is the slowest of them.

I finally watched the new Broly movie. I hadn't felt this much adrenaline in a movie theatre since... ever, I think!
I never thought an animated fight could look this good. Hot damn! I absolutely recommend watching this in theatres if you still can. Serious candidate for best Dragon Ball movie ever.
I have the opposite opinion. I always thought MHA was quite fast-paced, as they waste very little time in fluff. On the other hand, it is true Season 1 is the slowest of them.
They spend an entire episode picking the class representative!

11 hours ago, bob said:

They spend an entire episode picking the class representative!

Half an episode, actually :heh: I expect "breather episodes"  occasionally, but this one only took half the time!

To be honest, I thought you were going to bring up how All Might tends to explain what the viewer already saw. He did that a lot during the first season.

Edited by Jonnas

New PV for Weathering with You

Looks absolutely phenomenal -- if there was an award for the best animated rain, Shinkai films would win every time. Great to hear that RADWIMPS are back too! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Watched the first three episodes of One Punch Man Season 2. The animation quality is insane. :bowdown: 

Also started reading Monster. It's supposed to be a good thriller. First few chapters are intriguing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Also started reading Monster. It's supposed to be a good thriller. First few chapters are intriguing.

I remember watching that series a few years ago (before I first moved to Germany). Rewatched a few episodes recently, and now I can recognize the Frankfurt Hbf on sight :heh:

I genuinely can't tell if My Hero Academia is taking the piss or not. Sometimes it seems deathly serious, and sometimes they introduce characters like Best Jeanist, and have lengthy discussions about their blood type in the middle of fights. Still quite enjoying it though.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2019 at 7:11 PM, drahkon said:

Monster is brilliant!

Finished MHA season 2. It's definitely getting better, but it still feels like the dialogue was written by two ten year olds.

"Aha! My power means that I can shoot bees out of my mouth, but only when I have my eyes closed!"

"Actually, I was only using 50% of my power, now I will attack you at full speed!"

"I distracted you with this piece of cloth, and while you were distracted, I managed to get away!"

Also, why do they keep changing the intro and outro music?