NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

I started reading Jujutsu Kaisen just the other day and flew through the 30 chapters released so far.

I’m really enjoying it, anyone else read it?

This is a really great move, you get the latest chapters the same day as Japan for free or if you pay the sub you get access to almost all of their existing catalogue!

Also booked my ticket to go see the Broly movie in January!

I saw Your Name in 4K HDR recently and it's an incredibly beautiful movie. I wasn't convinced on HDR but that total changed my mind.

$1.99/mo?? That's brilliant. I will be signing up to that the moment it's available.

Makoto Shinkai’s next film has been revealed to be titled Tenki no Ko: Weathering With You (Weather Child: Weathering With You). The reveal also came with the release of the first promotional image for the film, with the tagline reading “This is the story of the world's secret that only she and I know.”

weathering.jpg

Anime News Network also gave a rough translation of the synopsis: 

In the film's story, high school student Hodaka Morishima leaves his home on an isolated island and moves to Tokyo, but he immediately becomes broke. He lives his days in isolation, but finally finds a job as a writer for a shady occult magazine. After he starts his job, the weather has been rainy day after day. In a corner of the crowded and busy city, Hodaka meets a young woman named Hina Amano. Due to certain circumstances, Hina and her younger brother live together, but have a cheerful and sturdy life. Hina also has a certain power: the power to stop the rain and clear the sky.

Makoto Shinkai is credited with the original work, as well as directing and writing the film; Masayoshi Tanaka (Your Name, Anohana, The Anthem of the Heart)  will return alongside him as character designer; Atsushi Tamura (The Cat ReturnsMobile Suit Gundam: The Origin) will serve as the film’s animation director; and Hiroshi Takiguchi (The Garden of WordsAjin) as the film’s art director. STORY inc. is credited as producer, and TOHO will distribute the film. 

The film will release in Japan on July 19th 2019. Unsurprisingly, after the astounding success of Your Name internationally, it has been confirmed by Shinkai-san that the film will see release worldwide, with releases already decided for Europe, North America, Asia and South America — though the dates of these international releases have yet to be confirmed, it is likely that it will be late next year based on recent precedent. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Just now.

My reaction: :o What the fuck...

Right?!

I had this feeling once I saw Emma’s reaction but I thought “no, surely not”... still blown away though!

@drahkon my head is exploding with all that’s going on in The Promised Neverland... what a manga!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kav said:

@drahkon my head is exploding with all that’s going on in The Promised Neverland... what a manga!!!

Indeed. The cliffhangers are so good but I hate them so much :D 

Meanwhile One Piece continues to bore me. Even though the current chapter is a step-up it's still so utterly tedious. Oda has no idea what good pacing looks like. And why do the Straw Hats have to be separated every. single. time.

I recently started reading Feng Shen Ji again (a Manhua you recommend to me once, if I remember correctly @Kav?). I stopped years ago because I wanted to read the whole thing from start to finish once it's completed. I'm about half way through and it's amazingOne Piece could learn a lot about pacing from that.
Oh, there's a back story about this character? Let's do it in half a chapter at maxOne Piece wastes 4 chapters on past events and 90% of them are just fluff. ::shrug: 

Yes, One Piece is great. The revelations, fights, characters, drawings...but I feel that it should be condensed to make it a much more enjoyable ride every chapter.

Well...I still love it :laughing: 

Edit: By the way, have you seen the The Promised Neverland anime, yet? Two episodes are out. I've just seen the first and it's very well done. If they can keep the quality up it's going to be one of the greats. Can't wait to relive the time at Grace Field.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Just got back from seeing the Broly movie - it's really good. Probably my new favorite Dragonball movie. I was never really a big fan of Broly, didn't get why people liked him so much, but they give him a much better backstory in this.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, Ike said:

Just got back from seeing the Broly movie - it's really good. Probably my new favorite Dragonball movie. I was never really a big fan of Broly, didn't get why people liked him so much, but they give him a much better backstory in this.

Did you go to the Metro Centre to see it? I know the Wednesday showing was completely sold out and the one I went to on Thursday was pretty much the same. They had to put extra showings on over the weekend due to the demand.

Totally agree with what you said. I thought the movie was fantastic and easily the best out of all the Super movies. The fight scenes went on for ages, which is exactly what I want out of my DB movies/shows. Also, the humour was very much on point. There were a few times where the whole cinema was laughing at what was happening on screen.

Spoiler

The scene where Goku shouts "Heads up, Frieza!" and then Broly went on to pummel him for a good half hour while Goku and Vegeta were trying to do the fusion dance had everyone laughing.

The only negative about the movie was that it really did spoil certain things in Super for people who hadn't seen the whole thing. My mate has been watching the US dub and they haven't fully started the ToP yet, so he was quite surprised to see...

Spoiler

...that Friza was alive and well and that he had even helped them with the ToP.

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you go to the Metro Centre to see it? I know the Wednesday showing was completely sold out and the one I went to on Thursday was pretty much the same. They had to put extra showings on over the weekend due to the demand.

Totally agree with what you said. I thought the movie was fantastic and easily the best out of all the Super movies. The fight scenes went on for ages, which is exactly what I want out of my DB movies/shows. Also, the humour was very much on point. There were a few times where the whole cinema was laughing at what was happening on screen.

Spoiler (Hide contents)

The scene where Goku shouts "Heads up, Frieza!" and then Broly went on to pummel him for a good half hour while Goku and Vegeta were trying to do the fusion dance had everyone laughing.

The only negative about the movie was that it really did spoil certain things in Super for people who hadn't seen the whole thing. My mate has been watching the US dub and they haven't fully started the ToP yet, so he was quite surprised to see...

Spoiler (Hide contents)

...that Friza was alive and well and that he had even helped them with the ToP.

Nah, I saw it at Gateshead but it was fully booked. I was a bit surprised since i went to see it sub'd. I think they added 2 extra showings since I booked my ticket.

The whole audience was laughing at

Spoiler

Frieza's justification for his wish.

Also Frieza probably got beat down for an hour if they waited the full 30 minutes for the fusion to end.

I hadn't thought about it spoiling Super for the dub people.

One thing I noticed is they reused some ideas from previous movies, the first Broly movie and Fusion Reborn which was a little bit cheeky.

It's made £850k in the UK, beating out Your Name.

I got the movies boxset for Christmas so I've been slowly working through them.

• Like 1

Just found out that the Dragon Ball Super manga is continuing. Nice. First few chapters are pretty good.

Also started reading Mob Psycho 100. The first chapter is hilarious :D 

Man, you guys make me feel very lucky, I watched it with mates in a virtually empty cinema, probably helped that the screening I saw wasn't listed on the Broly Movie website and wasn't advertised in the cinema itself either. I was pleasantly surprised that they managed to retcon the backstory of the saiyans as well as they did, I miss Bardock developing into the antihero but they improved a lot more so I was satisfied overall. I can't help but feel after the grand opening they gave Frieza during the intro flashback, he kinda becomes a Saturday morning cartoon villain by the end of it, which I found quite funny.

I can only wonder what the directors cut will add when it comes out on Blu Ray.

11 hours ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Man, you guys make me feel very lucky, I watched it with mates in a virtually empty cinema, probably helped that the screening I saw wasn't listed on the Broly Movie website and wasn't advertised in the cinema itself either.

It's weird because the other DB movies that I seen at the cinema were pretty much empty but this time the thing was insanely packed. Clearly Super, specifically the Goku Black and Tournament of Power arcs, gave the series a massive boost in popularity and got people excited about DB again. 

01.png.jpg

Warner Bros. Japan announced today that Level 5 is producing a Ni no Kuni movie, which is coming to Japan this summer. 

From AnimeNewsNetwork: 

ni-no-kuni.jpeg

Yoshiyuki Momose (The Legend of the Galactic Heroes character designer, Only Yesterday and Pom Poko storyboarder) is returning from the game series to direct the film, and Hayao Miyazaki's longtime collaborator Joe Hisaishi (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away) is returning to compose the music. Level 5CEO Akihiro Hino is the executive producer and scriptwriter, and he is also credited with the original work. OLM (Pokémon, Inazuma Eleven franchises) is animating the film. Warner Bros. Japan is the distributor.

02.png.jpg

In the story, Yū is a high school student, and his best friend is Haru and his childhood friend is Kotona. Through a certain incident, they travel back and forth between reality and Ni no Kuni. When Kotona's life is put in danger, the three must make "the ultimate choice."

Edited by Julius

I have no idea where this belongs, but seeing as it will probably be based on Toriyama's distinct art style, I guess it belongs here? 

Dragon-Quest-Your-Story_02-13-19.jpg

Dragon Quest V is being adapted into a fully 3DCG movie called Dragon Quest: Your Story, which will release in Japan this summer on August 2nd. 

I summon @Ike

Edited by Julius

6 hours ago, Julius said:

I have no idea where this belongs, but seeing as it will probably be based on Toriyama's distinct art style, I guess it belongs here? 

Dragon-Quest-Your-Story_02-13-19.jpg

Dragon Quest V is being adapted into a fully 3DCG movie called Dragon Quest: Your Story, which will release in Japan this summer on August 2nd. 

I summon @Ike

An Ike draws near!

Dragon Quest V has the best story so it could potentially be great. Not sure on the 3DCG until I see it.

On 09/02/2019 at 3:30 PM, Julius said:

01.png.jpg

Warner Bros. Japan announced today that Level 5 is producing a Ni no Kuni movie, which is coming to Japan this summer. 

From AnimeNewsNetwork: 

The was a rumour of Level 5 doing a movie, I knew it would be Ni No Kuni. I was thinking it was make a great movie adaptation. The Professor Layton movie was good and very faithful to the games so I have high hopes for this.

Ike flees.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Pff, you're not even a Metal Ike. 

Maybe so, but now you'll never complete your monster list. :heh:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Maybe so, but now you'll never complete your monster list. :heh:

I'm no stranger to grinding for hours. I'll beat the shit out of you eventually :p 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I watched the whole run of Hi Score Girl in one sitting. I don't know what to do with myself, but this feels bizarre, wrong, but oh so right in every way.

Downloaded the CrunchyRoll app and started watching Psycho Mob 100, since I'd heard it recommended if you liked One Punch Man.

It's definitely not as good as One Punch Man.... Not bad though. Seems to be really slow in getting going; I'm on episode 8 and not a huge amount has happened yet. The Claw has just shown up though, so hopefully it'll pick up.