NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

If you're up for something with a similar premise but a more satisfying conclusion, I'd highly recommend Erased.

Just watched, good call! Care to make another suggestion and make it a hattrick? :p

Been watching Fate/Zero. It's taking me a while to actually start telling a lot of the male characters apart but I'm getting there. Don't think I've ever had this much trouble in an anime!

The animation is pretty incredible though, some of the best I've seen in a series.

Just watched, good call! Care to make another suggestion and make it a hattrick? :p

Haha, glad you liked it dude!

Not sure if you fancy a creepy, slow paced, rotoscoped highschool slice of life, but Flowers of Evil is pretty good. So good that I'm delaying the ending by never watching the last episode - meaning I can't say for sure how it ends, but I hear it's somewhat inconclusive!

I'm getting through these One Piece episodes a lot quicker than I expected to, might have to order the next few collections later.

I don't understand how some of you guys have room for all these DVDs/blu-rays :blank:

I'm virtually out of room for them until I get rid of this defunct computer desk and buy another bookshelf.

Shingeki no Kyojin

I love this manga. That latest chapter revelation!

Shingeki no Kyojin

I love this manga. That latest chapter revelation!

I KNEW IT.

:D

I always suspected that there as a higher developed, richer human civilization outside the walls. Let's see if the story will turn into some kind of Truman Show-esque one.

Maybe it's a social experiment run by this newly revealed civilization or maybe the Titans are a failed experiment to create super soldiers and what we've seen now was just to keep the other civilization safe by using the humans inside the wall as bait/food.

Oh man...I need more chapters :laughing:

I KNEW IT.
:D

I always suspected that there as a higher developed, richer human civilization outside the walls. Let's see if the story will turn into some kind of Truman Show-esque one.

Maybe it's a social experiment run by this newly revealed civilization or maybe the Titans are a failed experiment to create super soldiers and what we've seen now was just to keep the other civilization safe by using the humans inside the wall as bait/food.

Oh man...I need more chapters :laughing:

It's brilliant isn't it?! I always thought that too, there just had to be more!

The possibilities of where it could go now... I absolutely love it!

It's brilliant isn't it?! I always thought that too, there just had to be more!

The possibilities of where it could go now... I absolutely love it!

You're not alone :D

By the way:

I love how Levi basically "destroyed" two possible cliffhangers:

"The key doesn't fit" ... FUCK IT, Levi kicks in the door. "We're going in now, biiiiitcheeees"

"The drawer is empty?" ... Levi finds the secret compartment. :D

So I've been working my way through the One Piece anime. I'm in the middle of the Alabasta arc and I was just wondering, when do they stop the 4:3 aspect ratio and finally start broadcasting in 16:9? I heard it was around episode 200 or so.

So I've been working my way through the One Piece anime. I'm in the middle of the Alabasta arc and I was just wondering, when do they stop the 4:3 aspect ratio and finally start broadcasting in 16:9? I heard it was around episode 200 or so.

During the next arc. Episode 207, I think?

Personally I don't think the change in aspect ratio and the jump to higher definition was that great for One Piece. Seemed to me that scaling up eventually cost them a lot and the actual drawing quality suffered for a long time as a result. It's better these days but there were some really, really weak patches.

Speaking of the One Piece anime, I'm back to watching it :D reiterating like I do every 6 months that there's no way I could watch this show week by week, the pacing is just atrocious. I find myself fast-forwarding through. There's only so much I can put up with "I'm keep telling you x! And I told you y!" (cut away and return to this three episodes later). Still awesome beneath this though.

I've still got a lot to do to catch up with all the One Piece episodes, I think I watched episode 30 last night.

That's a mild understatement given I watched episode 723 and even I feel very behind :p

Are you new to the series, or rewatching?

I'm new to it. Always felt a bit too wacky or childish to me when I tried watching in the past but this latest attempt something just clicked so I've been picking up the DVD collections.

The next episode, starting the Arlong Park arc, is where I think it hits it stride and basically never stops (well, with the exception of filler arcs, but some of those are actually good, in fact there were some I didn't realise were filler).

I remember once catching a random episode on TV (with the old, awful dubbing and censorship) and thinking it was really dumb. That was such a mistake as it lead to me putting it off for years. So glad I gave it another try. Yeah it's wacky but I wouldn't say childish, not really. It's silly and you feel like the mangaka is embracing crazy ideas he had as a kid and turning them into something deep and still fun. The story builds and builds and folds in on itself but it never feels stupidly out-there like Naruto and Bleach did towards their respective ends.

It also really, really messes with your emotions at times.

You're in for a hell of a ride :D

(But yeah expect the pacing to *really* stretch things out in some arcs, as well as super long intros, OPs and "previously on"s :p)

PS episode 272 best episode.

Edited by Shorty

I was saying to @Goafer on Sunday while we were watching some episodes I actually think its Coby that put me off everytime I tried the show. I get that the show is wacky but that character felt like it was out of place and almost from a different show.

Personally I don't think the change in aspect ratio and the jump to higher definition was that great for One Piece. Seemed to me that scaling up eventually cost them a lot and the actual drawing quality suffered for a long time as a result. It's better these days but there were some really, really weak patches.

Speaking of the One Piece anime, I'm back to watching it :D reiterating like I do every 6 months that there's no way I could watch this show week by week, the pacing is just atrocious. I find myself fast-forwarding through. There's only so much I can put up with "I'm keep telling you x! And I told you y!" (cut away and return to this three episodes later). Still awesome beneath this though.

It looked great during Thriller Bark from what I remember. The quality drop seemed to start after then.

I think it's because they dropped the fillers arcs so now they have to rush to get the episodes out. Plus the 1 chapter = 1 episode really killed the pacing. They started adding some really random filler to the the episodes.

One of the filler arcs is based on a Playstation game.

I stopped watching it weekly to let it build up, but I kinda fell out of watching it so I need to do a catch up at some point.

I was saying to @Goafer on Sunday while we were watching some episodes I actually think its Coby that put me off everytime I tried the show. I get that the show is wacky but that character felt like it was out of place and almost from a different show.

I hated Coby at first, he seemed like the annoying sidekick character. Luckily he's only in a few episodes.

Don't know what I'm going to do when the first One Piece opening changes and I don't have Edward Elric singing at me every episode anymore :(

There's never an opening quite as good as that, but there is something to look forward to in that regard later on :D

I just went back and looked up the first opening. For some reason I never realised that was Vic singing. This opening is way better now.

FYI the opening changes at episode 48

Edited by martinist
Spoiled it

Wondering as giving One Piece a try again is paying off and I'm enjoying it, should I be doing the same with Naruto? That's another one I only watched the first couple of episodes and gave up and I was under the impression for a long time that it was much more of a kids show.