NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

Hello pals

I have quite a general query - I'm to get back into watching a bit of anime again after rewatching Death Note last year and noticing that there's quite a good catalogue on netflix now.

Asides from the big really long ones (had my fill with naruto back in the day - tho I might give Brotherhood a go) have you guys got any highlights from the last few years?

I remember quite liking Death Note, Beck, Noein, Baccanno, back in the day. I guess I like sort of rooted-in-contemporary and down-to-earth-ish stuff? I haven't watched any in about 8 years so - any big series' I've missed out on?

I'm kind of interested in Physcho Pass, Attack on Titan, Steins Gate and Knights of Sidonia, if anyone's got anything to say about them? I noticed Kav was enjoying Psycho Pass a few pages back.

Edited by dan-likes-trees
Automerged Doublepost

Hello pals

I have quite a general query - I'm to get back into watching a bit of anime again after rewatching Death Note last year and noticing that there's quite a good catalogue on netflix now.

Asides from the big really long ones (had my fill with naruto back in the day - tho I might give Brotherhood a go) have you guys got any highlights from the last few years?

I remember quite liking Death Note, Beck, Noein, Baccanno, back in the day. I guess I like sort of rooted-in-contemporary and down-to-earth-ish stuff? I haven't watched any in about 8 years so - any big series' I've missed out on?

I'm kind of interested in Physcho Pass, Attack on Titan, Steins Gate and Knights of Sidonia, if anyone's got anything to say about them? I noticed Kav was enjoying Psycho Pass a few pages back.

Watch them all, they're all great! Psycho Pass and Attack on Titan are my pick of that bunch. I'd also heartily recommend Monster, it's absolutely brilliant!

Edited by Kav

Stein's;Gate fits your bill pretty well. There's also been some great Evangelion remake movies and a second season of Suzumiya Haruhi if that's your kinda thing. I loved Sword Art Online but it's a bit marmite, and more fantastical than you were suggesting but rooted in reality which is quite cool.

Edited by Shorty

Cant decide what to do about all the anime I'm starting to buy. I would much prefer to get it all on blu ray but theres so much more selection if I just went with dvd boxsets (along with the cheaper price) and it does get annoying waiting for release info on blu ray stuff. I'm still waiting to hear when this Fullmetal Alchemist Complete blu ray set is supposed to come out that was announced for the UK back in December.

During the wait for the next One Piece chapter I've read Gantz in its entirety. It was good. Completely nuts but good :laughing:

Now what to read next? Don't care anymore for Bleach and Naruto is not my thing...Hunter X Hunter has been recommended to me on here sometime ago. Maybe I'll give that a go again.

Edited by drahkon

During the wait for the next One Piece chapter I've read Gantz in its entirety. It was good. Completely nuts but good :laughing:

Now what to read next? Don't care anymore for Bleach and Naruto is not my thing...Hunter X Hunter has been recommended to me on here sometime ago. Maybe I'll give that a go again.

Holy poop yes, watch HxH for sure!!!

Holy poop yes, watch HxH for sure!!!

I was actually thinking about reading the manga instead of watching the anime, especially since I've made a habit of reading mangas at night while watching TV.

Is the anime better?

I was actually thinking about reading the manga instead of watching the anime, especially since I've made a habit of reading mangas at night while watching TV.

Is the anime better?

I'd advise to watch the anime, the 2011 version, not the original. The animation is fantastic!

I only advise this because the quality of the manga varies as a result of how bad Togashi's illness is.

Cant decide what to start watching tonight. Both Trigun and all 3 seasons of Full Metal Panic arrived today but I also got an email from Netflix saying Durarara was just added to the UK service. Choice choices!

Does anyone use Hummingbird to keep track of your anime?

I've been using it recently as I've got about 5 or 6 ongoing anime to watch, with more in a backlog. Its really handy for keeping track, as is the app.

Does anyone use Hummingbird to keep track of your anime?

I've been using it recently as I've got about 5 or 6 ongoing anime to watch, with more in a backlog. Its really handy for keeping track, as is the app.

I hadnt heard of it before but I've just signed up, thanks.

I hadnt heard of it before but I've just signed up, thanks.

No problem, I heard of it from a streamer, I didn't like myanimelist as I found it really clunky, but so far hummingbird.me has done me really well.

Sanji has brothers? Whaaat? Have they ever been mentioned before?

Sanji has brothers? Whaaat? Have they ever been mentioned before?

Have you not read the last however many chapters?!

Have you not read the last however many chapters?!

Not really, I've skipped a few chapters so I've probably missed some details. I need to do a proper catch up.

Not really, I've skipped a few chapters so I've probably missed some details. I need to do a proper catch up.

Hell yes you do!

So far we know he has 3 brothers and a sister... you really need to go back and read a fair bit! How much of the Zou arc have you read? It's an unbelievably good arc!!!

So Ace Attorney has reached it's (potentially) last case, this has been much better than the previous trials, it's covered more of the main points, gone into great detail and has been enjoyable to watch.

Oh man, that Shingeki No Kyojin chapter...

That Hunter x Hunter chapter!

Edited by Kav

So Ace Attorney has reached it's (potentially) last case, this has been much better than the previous trials, it's covered more of the main points, gone into great detail and has been enjoyable to watch.

Looks like it's still going, next week is starting trials from the second game.

Really enjoyed this week's episode. Puppy Missile!

Watching Your Lie in April at the moment. Good lord, it's a beautiful series with such a loveable cast.

I don't want any of my theories about what's going to happen to come true!

[edit]

And done. Holy shit, shot straight up there to one of my favourite anime series of all time. Masterpiece.

Edited by Guy

Finished watching Blood Lad today. I always kind of felt like it was on the verge of being a good show but never quite got there with its story or characters. Staz (the main character) was probably my main issue. If you just watched the opening you'd think he was someone with a lot of character, enjoyed fighting etc but unless he was talking about anime or the human world he just seemed devoid of emotion. Now that can be an interesting character trait in itself but he juset felt like he was constantly bored and that trickled over to me as a viewer.

I'll probably finish off Sword Art Online II next as the last boxset arrived today and then I'll move onto either Log Horizon or Full Metal Panic, haven't decided which yet.

I'll probably finish off Sword Art Online II next as the last boxset arrived today and then I'll move onto either Log Horizon or Full Metal Panic, haven't decided which yet.

I love Log Horizon. The world and characters are so interesting and it has a banging soundtrack - it's a shame the second season takes a massive budget hit and there's no real indication the conclusion will be animated.

By the end of S2 things really start taking shape as well, ugh. Please... just one more season. Studio DEEN, whoever, just let me spend more time with Shiroe and his pals.

I love Log Horizon. The world and characters are so interesting and it has a banging soundtrack - it's a shame the second season takes a massive budget hit and there's no real indication the conclusion will be animated.

By the end of S2 things really start taking shape as well, ugh. Please... just one more season. Studio DEEN, whoever, just let me spend more time with Shiroe and his pals.

This is exactly how I feel. I hate that it's disappeared into obscurity! :(

Watched the first episode of Boku dake ga Inai Machi (English title: ERASED).

Holy cow, what an incredible start. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

On the manga front I have been reading Pluto in the past few weeks and I am 10 chapters away from the end.

It's a great manga. Awesome story, great characters and the suspense won't let up.