NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

Alright people, here I go. Looking for a new anime to watch.

On my list so far:

Cowboy Bebop (supposed to be the greatest Anime Series ever made; if it is, I'd love to watch it on DVD or Bluray but can't find a complete edition)

Steins;Gate (actually started it once, but had to stop during the first episode as something had come up)

Code Geass (a friend recommended it; however I have no idea how much she is into animes and whether I should trust her in that regard :p Well, she may start watching Neon Genesis Envangelion after I recommended it to her, so..)

Berserk (somehow, when browsing anime sites, this series always pops up, no idea what it's about)

Hunter X Hunter (is apparently a loooooooooooooooooong series and also got a remake? I may save it for later)

Anyone would like to recommend me one of these? Or even one I didn't list? :)

Gonna leave these here:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1292/Afro_Samurai

http://myanimelist.net/anime/18679/Kill_la_Kill

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19815/No_Game_No_Life

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10721/Mawaru_Penguindrum

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Mahou_Shoujo_Madoka%E2%98%85Magica

Would also recommend Code Geass, Steins;Gate and HunterxHunter

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Hunter X Hunter (is apparently a loooooooooooooooooong series and also got a remake? I may save it for later)

When you get to this (and you should, just got up to date, I love the twists and the way it sways from the typical shonen format) go straight in with the remake. Same story, better pacing, better animation. There are some things to like in the original (voices, music, minor changes) but eventually the story is cut short and it just ends, whilst the 2011 version is ongoing (140 eps as of today, although who knows what they will do when it catches up to the manga).

One thing I like about HxH is that it's a bit dark. People just die, sometimes rather gruesomely too. Plus it has a virtual MMORPG world they go in, which has some pretty cool mechanics to it.

That card that heals everything though. The hell ain't Ging kitting out his main man Kite with those...

If I was the author and had to explain that, I guess I'd say that the cards required some pretty hefty conditions, like they can only be used on the island, only by people wearing a certain ring etc.. The conditions play a big part of abilities in that world, although a recent new character seems to have thrown that out of the window....

Yeah, HXH borders on Seinen at times and you'll never expect it when you first begin! It's been one helluva journey.

Since coming back from Hiatus, Togashi has been doing well with the manga. It's mostly world-building/preparation for the new arc, but the chapters are packed with content and it's been a very interesting read so far.

I've got no qualms if they cancel the anime, but judging by it's popularity I think it would be best to put it on hold until there's enough content to start another season.

judging by it's popularity I think it would be best to put it on hold until there's enough content to start another season.

Unfortunately anime studios dont seem to have a clue what would be best for them when they have a popular series that's running out of content. Their go-to approach seems to be to never ever stop making episodes as long as you have viewers.

I've got no qualms if they cancel the anime

Are you insane?

It's reyt good.

Are you insane?

It's right good.

Yeah but it's catching up to the manga, that's why he says that, so that there'd be no fillers.

If I was the author and had to explain that, I guess I'd say that the cards required some pretty hefty conditions, like they can only be used on the island, only by people wearing a certain ring etc.. The conditions play a big part of abilities in that world, although a recent new character seems to have thrown that out of the window....

True, I was thinking it'd be something like that.

Their go-to approach seems to be to never ever stop making episodes as long as you have viewers.

toei.jpg

Well Netflix UK has Hunter X Hunter, Gurren Lagan and Kill La Kill. See you all in a couple of months.

Well Netflix UK has Hunter X Hunter, Gurren Lagan and Kill La Kill. See you all in a couple of months.

OMFG!!!

Will it be adding Hunter x Hunter every week then?

OMFG!!!

Will it be adding Hunter x Hunter every week then?

It already has 5 seasons worth.

That's 100 episodes lol.

I doubt they'll ever be simulcasting it, but it would be nice to see one monopoly threaten another (Crunchyroll)

Is anyone watching SAO II? If they keep all the lovey-dovey stuff out it could be good. Enjoying it so far, only 5 episodes in mind.

I watched the first new ep and have kinda forgotten since. It was a kinda dull opener and although I know it'll get better, it killed my excitement for it a bit. I'll probably get onto the next few eps tomorrow.

Is anyone watching SAO II? If they keep all the lovey-dovey stuff out it could be good. Enjoying it so far, only 5 episodes in mind.

I'll watch it when it's all released. I can't do week by week episodes. :(

I'm hearing from some places that they're closing their production and are taking a break to decide their future...

I hope for everyone's sake that they're not closing for good :(

What!? :o They're a beacon for quality and integrity in Japanese animation! They can't close... :(

What!? :o They're a beacon for quality and integrity in Japanese animation! They can't close... :(

Supposedly they haven't closed, but rather that they're not currently actively producing any films and are looking to re-structure now that Hayao Miyazaki has retired. Makes sense when you consider that Goro Miyazaki is currently directing a CG TV series at Polygon Pictures which will start broadcast in October, meaning that he wont be free to direct anything else in the next year or so. Hayao Miyazaki has retired, Isao Takahata is unlikely to be working on anything else at this point and their last couple of films did poorly at the box office; so if they're not looking to jump straight into another movie and are considering their options, it makes sense for the production department to close for the time being.

It doesn't meant that they won't return to make more movies in a year or two's time or so, but the staff have expressed concern over the future of the studio. Given that its last few films performed poorly and its original raison d'être has now come and gone (it was originally founded solely to allow Miyazaki and Takahashi to make the films they wanted to after all), I would expect some sweeping changes to be made...

Remember the time when transferring eyes actually required a real process?

You know, the body where the eyes are coming from had to be there. The patient had to undergo surgery to physically transfer the eyes from one body to the other, and then they needed to recover after the operation was complete?

Yeah.

I thought it was bad enough when Madara just ripped Kakashi's eye out and shoved it in his socket and was good to go, but now this is just ridiculous.

Remember the time when transferring eyes actually required a real process?

You know, the body where the eyes are coming from had to be there. The patient had to undergo surgery to physically transfer the eyes from one body to the other, and then they needed to recover after the operation was complete?

Yeah.

I thought it was bad enough when Madara just ripped Kakashi's eye out and shoved it in his socket and was good to go, but now this is just ridiculous.

I personally loved it. I was going nuts while reading it!

Its about time Kakashi got some real power and maybe we we finally seem him unleash.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Kakashi, really. But the process was silly.

Maybe I'm just down because we got more Rin/Obito AGAIN!

That Cockroach just doesn't know how to die AND actually stay dead.

Also, I want to see more Tenten.