NEurope
jayseven

Childhood-defining movies?

Watched Wayne's World again this afternoon with a couple of buddies who knew the scenes just about as well as I do, we all had a great time seeing how well we knew the script.

Thus! I would like to propose a LIST THREAD.

Which threads did you grow up with; watch repeatedly, perhaps with siblings? That stack of VHS tapes you went to on a dreary day stuck in?

Threads? I mean films! Of course I do. Lol. Mistakes recognised are so much more casual.

For me (aside from WW and it's sequel);

- Flight of the Navigator

- BMX Bandits

- The Karate Kid

- The Three Ninjas (lots of the films)

- Yellow Submarine

- Little Raveascals

- *Batteries Not Included

- Short Circuit

- Free Willy

- My Girl

- The Fox And The Hound

- Return of Jafaar

- Please Sir

- Duel

... Man, I may have to go have a chat with my sister and see what she remembers! Some of these were movies we owned, some were ones we'd rent a lot, some we'd have to watch if they were on telly.

Oh!

- Ferngully

- Fantasia

- Crocodile Dundee

We barely had any films on VHS, except for Disney ones. We owned allll of them and watched them a million times haha.

But yeah, we taped certain films and just watched them over and over again.

A few I remember:

- Neverending Story

- Labyrinth

- The Secret Garden

- Look Who's Talking/ Look Who's Talking Too

- 3 Men and a Baby

- Home Alone/ Home Alone 2

- Secret of NIMH

- An American Tail

- Beethoven

Ok I know there's plenty more but my mind is currently drawing a blank haha. Wanna see some of those again, especially Secret of NIMH.

Sorry to be boring, but the only one I can think of is Ghostbusters. I loved all the iconic puppets and just generally took it very seriously, even though it's a comedy. When it was released on DVD, I realised there was a large amount of sexual humour that I didn't understand at the time.

bowie_labyrinth.jpg

Not only is it my favourite childhood movie, it's probably my favourite movie ever. And not just for David Bowie's codpiece. The music, the setting, the characters, the puzzles. All great.

Seriously, watch the making of. It's on YouTube somewhere. It made me appreciate just how much work goes into puppets.

- Neverending Story

- 3 Men and a Baby (and 2 men and a little lady!)

- Home Alone/ Home Alone 2

- An American Tail

- Beethoven

Can't believe I forgot some of those!

... I expect I'll be at least thinking that phrase a few times in this thread...

bowie_labyrinth.jpg

Not only is it my favourite childhood movie, it's probably my favourite movie ever. And not just for David Bowie's codpiece. The music, the setting, the characters, the puzzles. All great.

Seriously, watch the making of. It's on YouTube somewhere. It made me appreciate just how much work goes into puppets.

It's such a great film. The staircase scene is just amazing (plus it reminds me of M.C. Escher; references to artists are amazing in my book). Plus Jennifer Connelly is pretty haha.

"Multi pass!"

Okay, I was 11 when it came out so maybe it doesn't count as childhood-defining. It certainly had some bearing on my development, though, and still holds up as probably my favourite film. (To get more micro, my favourite scene is the editing of the "This case is empty" exchange.)

At a younger age I'd peg Ghostbusters and Turtles as big influences, although I haven't watched either in years. More generally I imagine having an older brother and sister probably led to my watching things somewhat above my age bracket, although I don't think it ever did me any harm; funnily enough the two films I can recall scaring the hell out of me were both parent-sanctioned viewings: Jaws, for obvious reasons, and The Witches.

I've seen most of what has been put so far so I'll try and put ones that haven't been said yet:

The Lion King

Back To The Future Parts 1,2 and 3.

Terminator 1 and 2

2001: A Space Odyssey

Die Hard

Lethal Weapon

The Mask

Liar Liar

Toy Story

Planet Of The Apes

Tom Thumb

Mrs Doubtfire

The Goonies

Gremlins

Jumanji

Hook

Jingle All The Way

Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Sound Of Music

Oliver & Company

Wizard Of Oz

Batman

Karate Kid

King Kong (1933)

Alien

Aliens

Hocus Pocus

Ace Ventura

Matilda

A movie that defined my childhood in a way was Born on the Fourth of July. I watched until the hospital scenes and was traumatised. It was then that I realised that...basically, EVERYONE IS GONNA DIE. I refused to sleep on my own for ages after that. I truly felt hollow inside. Thankfully I've conquered that thought.

Another traumatising movie was Bride of Chucky. I watched it really late at night with my mum and was so scared I couldn't sleep. That was the first movie that scared me that much, I think. And Interview with the Vampire made my sister and I cry.

A movie that I watched over and over again with my sister when we were small was A Goofy Movie. In fact, we watched it again a few days ago :) True bonding. Still my favourite childhood movie ever. We had videos of various Disney shorts, too.

Oh, and Fantasia kind of freaked me out. The animation style was so different from regular Disney movies, it seemed like a drug trip (though of course I didn't know about drugs at that age). Unsettling.

tronclassicmain.jpg

Srsly though, I watched so many films it would be impossible to list the ones that defined me most. They probably all did in one way or another.

Neverending Story - I really had it bad for the Child-Like Empress

Karate Kid - At the heart a great father-son movie, superbly done by Pat Morita

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan - Teaches the importance and nobility of self-sacrifice. I can't watch the final Kirk/Spock scene without crying.

Transformers The Movie - I bawled my eyes out when Prime died. Saw this at a friends' house and I ran the whole way home with tears in my eyes. For me that was the beginning of my understanding of death.

Disney was my life as a child. And technically I saw X-Men 1 when I was 8 years old. A stunner.

But yeah, it was Disney all the way. Very few important (to me at the time) live action ones.

I never "got" the Lion King. It seemed to me designed specifically to be a tearjerker without much other story in it, a little like Bambi.

Hi five on the Return of Jaffar, Jay. Fucking watched that movie to infinity growing up.

My parents wouldn't really let me watch anything that had a rating so much as a year over my age, so unless it came on TV, most everything other than Disney films were out of the question. That said, these films absolutely rocked my world.

Aladdin (Still my favourite Disney film)

Back to the Future Trilogy

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (I fucking aspired to be like Bill and Ted)

All The Dragonball Z films (which I somehow managed to import from America)

Toy Story

A Bug's Life

Ace Ventura

Home Alone

Jurassic Park

The Phantom Menace (which made me avoid Star Wars until I was about 16)

I was never much of a movie person until later in my life.

The Goonies

Willow

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Gremlins

amongst others already listed here like Ghostbusters and Neverending Story

The Goonies

Jeebers, The Mother-Lovin' Goonies.

That movie should be required viewing for all children aged 6-12 and all adults between 18 - 65.

For that difficult 13 - 17 year old period, Children should not be permitted television.

People have already mentioned a lot of the films I remember from my childhood but I think I was generally allowed to watch just about anything within reason (no horror films although I do distinctly remember watching a film when I was younger where a hobo got run down by 3 women in a car who became hysterical at the sight of the hobo lying dead on the bonnet of the car. Never found out what that film was...)

Dragonheart (first film I saw in the cinema, I think)

Jingle All The Way

Mrs. Doubtfire (this should be on EVERYONE's list!)

Goonies

Gremlins (this freaked me out as a kid)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Star Wars Episodes 4-6

Home Alone 1 & 2

Jurassic Park (my grandparents too me to see this in the cinema when it came out. Responsible? perhaps not but I loved it)

Ace Ventura

The Neverending Story

Back to the Future

Hook

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Beethoven 1 & 2 (I really wanted a St. Bernard after seeing these films)

Batteries Not Included (this was the one with the tiny little UFO things right?)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I'm probably forgetting loads but those are ones I can remember at the moment. Most of them I still love to this day (perhaps some more because of nostalgia rather than them being good) and some I haven't seen in a long time and should really look out.

Lets see, for me it would be:

The Goonies

Most Disney films

Star Trek II-VI

Back to the Future Trilogy

Beethoven 1+2

Bill & Ted

Home Alone

The Rescuers

Short Circuit 1+2

An American Tail

Probably a lot more but I think I watched some of the more violent films later than a lot of my friends because of my parents.

I won't bother listing all of my "childhood-defining movies" but I will say that I'm maybe a little surprised not to see anyone mention Police Academy..

Horror edition!

Jaws

Teen Wolf

Nightmare(s) on Elm Street

Friday the 13th

Halloween

All these were terrifying when I watched them as a small kid.

Ooh! I forgot some:

Scariest movie: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Most Hilarious: Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

:D

I won't bother listing all of my "childhood-defining movies" but I will say that I'm maybe a little surprised not to see anyone mention Police Academy..

Number 6 for me: City Under Siege.