NEurope
ReZourceman

Pottermore

Yeah surely it's an RPG PBP thing in harry potter universe, only official?

A wild Hermione appears!

Scratch

Sand-attack

Growl

>Bone her silly

Obviously I am very much looking forward to seeing this and I find this spin on the world a little exciting and did she say that she's added crucial parts of the story and she'd be revealing additional information she's hidden about the Potter world? That'd be good and quite interesting.

In saying this though, it's basically the same as reading the book in some ways though. However, I am looking forward to it but as The Peeps said, a book about James Potter would be wicked.

We won't see anything from him.

Hermione perhaps, being able to do magic and knowing it but being kept secret, The Secret World of Alex Mack (Christ she was fit) style.

Word. A major crush of my younger self and still highly sexy.

larisa-oleynik-actors-film-actor-person-tv-actor-photo-u1.jpg?w=345&h=450

Back on topic; I thought Pottermore was some village in Surrey in which a disaster had just occurred, I'm slightly disappointed. J.K. should probably have produced this at the same time as the last book for maximum impact, but I'm sure it wont be unwelcome. Like others it'd probably be better to have a new book, like one based on James Potter's crew. I imagine it a bit like Just William with magic. Or maybe a darker, more teenage/adult book focusing on Voldermort's rise to power.

Can she not come up with anything original?

I still don't get the draw of Potter appart from its bland 'for "everyone"' appeal.

Meh.

I was watching the trailer before Green Lantern for the new Harry Potter and it struck me that this series started about 15 years ago in a little cafe, handwritten scrawl by a single mother in a council flat. And now it has become this. She deserves her fame and deserves to milk it. As if you wouldn't be rolling in the money and still gagging for more. Also the draw of the first couple of books was a Roald Dahl-esque charm and quirkiness, and they were not at all bland.

Meh.

I was watching the trailer before Green Lantern for the new Harry Potter and it struck me that this series started about 15 years ago in a little cafe, handwritten scrawl by a single mother in a council flat. And now it has become this. She deserves her fame and deserves to milk it. As if you wouldn't be rolling in the money and still gagging for more. Also the draw of the first couple of books was a Roald Dahl-esque charm and quirkiness, and they were not at all bland.

There are far better writers, and can confidently say she doesn't deserve the attention or insane riches she has gained.

I don't actually know if she's intentionally/knowingly milking it too far, she certainly doesn't need to.

I don't mind the second one (that's as far as I've got), but the first one is poorly written; of course, the draw of the original is the wonder of Her World.

I actually wish to go into writing, and don't know whether I'd milk anything I'd written, certainly if I only had one "baby".

Dahl > Rowling

I'm afraid, having read Pratchett and Tolkien (I'll even chuck in Markus Heitz), that Rowling is bland.

Edit: It's just it's yet another unrealistic (& PC) school setting with some magic stuff thrown in. I just find it a bit drab, and though I like some of Rowling's messages within the stories, it could be done a lot better and with more interesting, less generic/flat characters.

Edited by Kurtle Squad

The Discworld does shit all over Harry Potter... but it's a different readership really.

Potterbore.

I drove past her new house the other day. It looks nice, but not overly nice. As though she's not trying to make a big show of things.

I love how some people hate the idea of the Harry Potter universe simply because its so popular. They're great children's books that adults can enjoy too, and the entire world within the books is brilliantly conceived; that's why they're so entertaining. I freaking love Pratchett (see my Uni dissertation for proof) but they're totally different books - the reason Potter is so much more popular than any other similar title is that is set in a world that we all live in.

68025_10150278891765581_509970580_15238422_5801559_n.jpg

68834_10150278892490581_509970580_15238439_7842388_n.jpg

I really love the "Harry Potter Universe", and I agree with Dohnut that it is a very well conceived a thought out universe.

I love how some people hate the idea of the Harry Potter universe simply because its so popular. They're great children's books that adults can enjoy too, and the entire world within the books is brilliantly conceived; that's why they're so entertaining. I freaking love Pratchett (see my Uni dissertation for proof) but they're totally different books - the reason Potter is so much more popular than any other similar title is that is set in a world that we all live in.

Thank you. I fully respect people who don't like Potter, but it often strikes me that a bunch of those who dislike it don't have very good reasons for doing so. Like, comparing her to Tolkien is just silly - they both deal in magic and fantasy, that's about as far as the comparison works.

A (middle-class) boarding school in a world almost mutually exclusive in what's good and what's bad?

A (middle-class) boarding school in a world almost mutually exclusive in what's good and what's bad?

No.

Britain.

Thank you. I fully respect people who don't like Potter, but it often strikes me that a bunch of those who dislike it don't have very good reasons for doing so. Like, comparing her to Tolkien is just silly - they both deal in magic and fantasy, that's about as far as the comparison works.

I wasn't comparing her to Tolkien because he's the "Grandfather of Modern Fantasy"; it's because he was a better, or more specifically, a less bland writer. It was also because, bar Orwell, I've read very little other fiction other than Fantasy.

The Potter series is bland (and generic) compared to all other books I've read since becoming an adult (and possibly since being a teenager).

If I'd only read the 1st Potter I'd say she were a worse writer than C.S. Lewis, but I'd have to compare the two more to come to a firmer opinion.

(Lion, W&W is better written than Potter 1 in my opinion.)

People bigging up Rowling always compare her to Roald Dahl; I find that silly, and certainly unfair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I don't hate the Potterverse, I just think it's insanely overrated (I don't like Rowling however, but that doesn't mean I judge her writing on how she is as a person - though there are obviously going to be some reflections of her within the books).

Edited by Kurtle Squad

I wasn't comparing her to Tolkien because he's the "Grandfather of Modern Fantasy"; it's because he was a better, or more specifically, a less bland writer. It was also because, bar Orwell, I've read very little other fiction other than Fantasy.

The Potter series is bland (and generic) compared to all other books I've read since becoming an adult (and possibly since being a teenager).

If I'd only read the 1st Potter I'd say she were a worse writer than C.S. Lewis, but I'd have to compare the two more to come to a firmer opinion.

(Lion, W&W is better written than Potter 1 in my opinion.)

People bigging up Rowling always compare her to Roald Dahl; I find that silly, and certainly unfair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I don't hate the Potterverse, I just think it's insanely overrated (I don't like Rowling however, but that doesn't mean I judge her writing on how she is as a person - though there are obviously going to be some reflections of her within the books).

I honestly don't get how you can call her a bland writer, but you're entitled to your opinion. What really puzzles me, though, is what you could possibly have against Rowling as a person. I don't get it - she's, like, one of the most sympathetic people I know. :blank:

I honestly don't get how you can call her a bland writer, but you're entitled to your opinion. What really puzzles me, though, is what you could possibly have against Rowling as a person. I don't get it - she's, like, one of the most sympathetic people I know. :blank:

That's probably somewhat why.

That's probably somewhat why.

Man, your cynicism really knows no boundaries, does it? :heh:

Seriously, though, cheer up a bit, dude. :)

Man, your cynicism really knows no boundaries, does it? :heh:

Seriously, though, cheer up a bit, dude. :)

I wont cheer up while she's using her money to fund politicians ;)

I love Harry potter, shame the ending felt so flat to me. I read an online book before the 7th was released and I actually preferred it to the deathly hallows!

Hopefully the wizard world has evolved and they can stop being dumbfucks and use pens as to shitty quills.

Hopefully the wizard world has evolved and they can stop being dumbfucks and use pens as to shitty quills.

Bic ballpoints?

I would also think that owls are rather slow compared to text messages.

I fail to see how pens are superior to quills. And in any case, the whole point of witchcraft and wizardry is that style trumphs utility. If you can essentially perform any task, efficiency, practicality and utilitarianism becomes less, and the way you do things becomes more.

There's a reason they use broomsticks -- because teleportation is not as stylish to watch.

That and you can't really play Quidditch using teleportation. That game would be shit.