NEurope
Coolness Bears

2011: The Musical Landscape thus far.

So far I've neglected 2011 in terms of new music and so I'm wondering what everyone else has been listening to that is new this year and what I've missed out on. :grin:

At uni I have been listening to things like this:

Basically anything from the Top 40 immediately makes me smell alcohol. :p

Albums I've listened to:

Avril Lavigne - Goodbye lullaby

Battles - Gloss Drop

Britney Spears - Femme Fatale

Cults - Cults

Cunninglinguists - Oneirology

Pac Div - Mania!

Mac Miller - Best Day Ever

Decemberists - The King Is Dead

DJ Shadow - I Gotta Rokk EP

EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Katy B - On A Mission

Lady Gaga - Born This Way

Patrick Wolf - Lupercalia

TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light

Sucker Punch - OST

Jessie J - Stand Up

Arcade Fire: Scenes From The Suburbs

Got Bon Iver, PJ Harvey and Lyyke Li, SebastiAn and Cut Copy line up next. :)

I've been listening a lot to Agnes Obel lately. I need the album, as Spotify won't let me listen to her anymore. =(

Apart from that, I don't know what's new in 2011. I'm not really up to date myself I guess.

I've listened to Foo Fighters and P!ATD's new albums. I quite liked P!ATD's album. Other than that, I don't think I've listened to much else from this year.

WHAT KIND OF LANDSCAPER PUTS A LANDFILL CENTER STAGE?

Do you mean Chris Brown in the middle of my post? :heh:

That was too illustrate the brainless rubbish I've been subjected to so far this year. :)

Enis, I listened to Agnes Obel, of whom I'd never heard of before, only one song so far but it was nice and refreshing so will check more songs out. :D

Panic! At The Disco, lal. I'll add it to my list. Only ever listened to Nine in the afternoon by them.

You should listen to the entire album, it's nice and relaxing. =)

'Riverside' is her current single, and I love it. Keep listening to it again and again heh.

I quite like Artic Monkey's 'Don't sit down cause I moved your chair'.

I actually just listen to the radio for new songs. I should pay more attention to who plays the songs I like, I always forget.

Albums I own/have listened to from 2011 (in no order)-

The Unthanks - Last

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

Kate Bush - Director's Cut

Tyler, The Creator - Goblin

Adele - 21

Beyonce - 4

But that's just full albums. And only from this year too. I'd argue Aaliyah's Aaliyah and Mos Def's Ecstatic are far more important to my musical landscape of '11 than...Adele.

But yes, I've drifted out of my urge to explore all the new music around that I used to have. Only evidence of being aware of what is currently hyped on the music scene would be Tyler, The Creator.

Albums I own/have listened to from 2011 (in no order)-

The Unthanks - Last

Kate Bush - Director's Cut

Tyler, The Creator - Goblin

Adele - 21

Beyonce - 4

But that's just full albums. And only from this year too. I'd argue Aaliyah's Aaliyah and Mos Def's Ecstatic are far more important to my musical landscape of '11 than...Adele.

But yes, I've drifted out of my urge to explore all the new music around that I used to have. Only evidence of being aware of what is currently hyped on the music scene would be Tyler, The Creator.

HUGE LAD!

lal.

2011 stuff I own/have heard in detail:

Battles - Gloss Drop

Braids - Native Speaker

Radiohead - King Of Limbs

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Cut Copy - Zonoscope

Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High EP

All Tiny Creatures - Harbors

Toro Y Moi - Beneath the Pine

The Strokes - Angles

Panda Bear - Tomboy

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact

Not bad I guess. Also listened to a few of the new Fleet Foxes songs, along with some Lady Gaga.

The only one that screams out to be my favourite from that list is Let England Shake. I adore that album. Panda Bear is great, but this one is not quite as good as his previous album. Same goes for Radiohead. Braids and All Tiny Creatures have been nice 'out of nowhere' bands for me while Cut Copy are just so much fun.

Edited by ipaul

Omj, Dum Dum Girls how could I forget even had a signature of them at one point!

Isla, Radiohead.

The only one that screams out to be my favourite from that list is Let England Shake. I adore that album.

Ü R the best.

You didn't like Gloss Drop paul?

I was really hoping Sebastians Total was gonna be better than it was, but it inevitably ended up having a few good songs, and lame songs with cool intermitting interludes. Shame really because I absolutely love his remixes.

I already know for sure that the best album that comes out this year is going to be Opeth's "Heritage", followed closely by the new Mastodon. Fuck yes.

Best so far I agree has to be Let England Shake.

Although, I haven't really looked into new music that much this year cause I've been getting really into hip hop properly for the first time, so I'm basically catching up on the classics from the 90's.

2011? I'm still trying to catch up with 2009. Too much music and not enough cash is the problem. Liked what I've heard of PJ Harvey and Radiohead on 6Music, so they'll be going on the list. I quite like the summery Pumped Up Kicks track, although I can imagine it getting slightly irritating after a bit like Peter, Bjorn and John tune from a couple of years back. Oh, and my other half purchased the ubiquitous Adele, which is alright but vastly overplayed. I might investigate some of the others that have been mentioned thus far.

Although, I haven't really looked into new music that much this year cause I've been getting really into hip hop properly for the first time, so I'm basically catching up on the classics from the 90's.

Yeah boi! The 80's/90's hiphop electro scene has an incredible back catalogue.

There's your landscape! ;)

Seriously though, that's what I listen all year round...vg tunes! Ninja Gaiden = effin' badass!

You didn't like Gloss Drop paul?

Late reply but I´ve been on holiday =P.

Yeah I really like it, especially Ice Cream and Wall Street, I just don´t think it´s as good as their last album. Which in fairness, would have been fucking difficult to pull off. Exact same goes King Of Limbs and Tomboy. Both great, yet both followed by obscenely good albums. Bro´s is my most played song.

Yeah man, but nothing is gonna top Mirrored, such a crazy, incredible album.

New Gang Gang Dance is also pretty cool, as was Deerhoof Vs Evil.