NEurope
Daft

Veganism

I've toyed with the idea before (Unnff, I love eating dead animals). I'm thinking of giving it a go. I can't see it happening but I'm willing to try. Anyone else here tried veganism?

vegan-lifestyle.jpg

I love my scrambled eggs and hot chocolates too much. =(

I probably could be a vegetarian (right now I'm a half-assed one, don't eat the meat I don't like), but going vegan is too hardcore for me.

I also have a cousin who was a vegetarian for most of her life (she like, 31 or something) due to moral issues and vegan for some part, but now all of a sudden she has started eating meat. =O

Good luck if you do try. The first few weeks are gonna be the hardest everrrrr. Especially if you're used to eating all the animal goodness haha.

Why?

Srsly. Why bother? If you're all "omg animals are LIKE HOOMANS AND SHOULD NEVAR FEEL PAAAAIIIN!!" then sure, why not. But otherwise you're just wasting time.

Good luck if you do try. The first few weeks are gonna be the hardest everrrrr. Especially if you're used to eating all the animal goodness haha.

Meat is so normalised for me I forgot I cooked and ate two burgers with cheese and bacon about an hour ago. Tasted sooooo good. :heh:

It's not going to be a sudden switch (the fridge looks not too dissimilar to vegan Hell right now), I'll have to phase into it. That's if I can pull it off.

Why?

Srsly. Why bother? If you're all "omg animals are LIKE HOOMANS AND SHOULD NEVAR FEEL PAAAAIIIN!!" then sure, why not. But otherwise you're just wasting time.

Because I like changing things up. What if I feel better for it? I won't know if I don't try.

I've got nothing to lose.

I was for Lent once. It turns you cranky. The reason vegans are so argumentative is because they're so hungry.

Dude, you need your protein.

Animals give you muscles!

They are dying for your biceps. Remember that.

I stopped eating meat almost three years ago. Here are my thoughts on strict veganism:

Veganism in terms of food: tried it on and off for a year or two. Do-able but annoying; no good soy cheese in health food stores in Dublin, and lots of vegan versions of food are stupidly expensive (I'm a poor student). Also, I like fish too much.

Veganism in terms of cosmetics/clothing/household cleaners etc.: too much effort. I'm already as environmentally-friendly as hell, that should be good enough.

Basically, I think that you might as well go for raw foodism instead of buying expensive-ass vegan alternatives which are all processed anyway.

Why?

Veganism isn't always all about animals (alliteration!). It can also be for health reasons.

I was vegan for about 2 months, think that was what forced me off vegetarianism back to being a meat eater.

What health reasons? Not an assault or an argument, I genuinely don't know about health benefits.

Dude, you need your protein.

Animals give you muscles!

They are dying for your biceps. Remember that.

There's plenty of protein in quinoa and stuff like that (and protein shakes lol!).

I stopped eating meat almost three years ago. Here are my thoughts on strict veganism:

Veganism in terms of food: tried it on and off for a year or two. Do-able but annoying; no good soy cheese in health food stores in Dublin, and lots of vegan versions of food are stupidly expensive (I'm a poor student). Also, I like fish too much.

Veganism in terms of cosmetics/clothing/household cleaners etc.: too much effort. I'm already as environmentally-friendly as hell, that should be good enough.

Basically, I think that you might as well go for raw foodism instead of buying expensive-ass vegan alternatives which are all processed anyway.

Veganism isn't always all about animals (alliteration!). It can also be for health reasons.

Raw-foodism? I'll look into it. What was it like when you stopped eating meat?

My friend is a hardcore vegan. She seems to get by...somehow.

All my flatmates next year are vegetarian, so I'll probably end up becoming vegetarian too. It's cheaper, which is good [not that that's much of an issue, given they get the majority of their food from skips anyway.]

Just buy a bit vat of whey protein and eat lots of peanuts. You'll be stunning.

What health reasons? Not an assault or an argument, I genuinely don't know about health benefits.

The main thing is cholesterol (red meat), so lower risk of cardiovascular health, etc. To be fair, it's not only the lack of meat that lowers the risk, but that lack of meat in diet --> eating more whole grains and plant-based foods, which are full of antioxidants and other good things! Other arguments for veganism are high levels of mercury in fish, hormones/antibiotics/high level of saturated fat in meat (seems to be more of a problem in the US than here though), and cholesterol in eggs.

So really, the issue is balance. My dad eats meat, but the doctor is always amazed at his good health (apparently his health is comparable to a teenager) every time he goes for a check-up. That's because he eats meat in moderation, and LOTS of fruit (but he doesn't like vegetables as much).

tl;dr I'm more of a health/natural foods nut than a OMG MEAT IS EVIL nut, but there ARE benefits to cutting out meat. I'm sure I have a few links saved with lots more information (don't want to bore anyone here), I can dig them up if anyone's interested!

Edited by EddieColeslaw

You know how humans only use 10% of their brains? The other 90% is filled up with curds and whey.

Yeah, been a vegan for what, 2 years now? Wanted to be a total vegetarian for years, and when I found out that you can get vegan food everyday at the uni cafeteria, went straight for that. Been pretty satisfied with this :)

The most noticeable thing when I started was the body feeling much lighter! :D Of course, mind too, since you're not eating dead animals nor supporting their "harvesting" anymore...Cooking is as basic as ever, have just replaced meat and cheese with beans, lentils, tofu etc. Got a health check-up during the spring, everything else was fine except for vitamin B12. Now taking that as a supplement once per week, apparently it's the only thing you cannot really get from a vegan diet. I recall some seaweeds having it, but those aren't really a part of my diet so I'll just take the pills instead :D

I'm not super total, because I do eat milk chocolate every now and then. Other stuff like the occasional yoghurt might also pass, if I'm visiting my mom and that happens to be in the fridge etc. However, in general I do not buy dairy, eggs or meat products nor use them in my cooking.

Because I like changing things up. What if I feel better for it? I won't know if I don't try.

I've got nothing to lose.

Exactly. That's what life is for, experimenting with different things :)

When I discovered my MSG allergy I had to cut out what was, essentially, a whole load of crap. I think if people have to watch what they eat for one reason or another they're going to eat healthier due to being exposed to the ingredients on packaging and questioning exactly why they're eating such shite.

I wrote several paragraphs then deleted them after this, to do with, essentially, the need for a philosophy to go with veganism, because ultimately there are things meat offers in abundance that are a hassle to try and upkeep elsewise. Also, realistically speaking, upkeeping iron or protein on a vegan diet will ultimately not save you many pennies. The choice you have in shops or restaurants becomes limited quickly, quick and easy food while out with friends or whatever becomes trickier and more of a bother... so if you don't have the philosophy to drive you then you'll question the point of it all.

But yeah - I'll respect people who do it but I won't agree that it's the smartest thing to do. Vegetarianism is perfectly possible and stuff. Another mental block for this paragraph. I'll stop now.

There's plenty of protein in quinoa and stuff like that (and protein shakes lol!).

I never really liked eating meat anyway, so it was a very natural/effortless transition. I used to get into trouble for peeling of any skin, tendons, veins or fat off meat before I ate it. Especially in KFC, I'd practically be dissecting my meal...haha.

Anyway, I definitely remember feeling better soon after. Meat and meat products always made me feel heavy and somewhat more prone to getting sick/stomach aches/fainting spells, especially in humid and hot weather during my summers in Hong Kong, so I don't experience any of that any more. I also haven't gotten a cold or flu in almost two years. I basically never worry about getting sick any more. Again, I attribute this to not only cutting out meat, but also eating more vegetables and cutting out minerals, gelatine, and refined sugar.

Just curious, why are you considering going straight to veganism? Just give ovo-lacto vegetarianism a go first! :) (I assume you haven't before due to your love for ingesting dead animals)

All my flatmates next year are vegetarian, so I'll probably end up becoming vegetarian too. It's cheaper, which is good [not that that's much of an issue, given they get the majority of their food from skips anyway.]

Just buy a bit vat of whey protein and eat lots of peanuts. You'll be stunning.

Freeganism? I only recently found out about the concept, though I still don't know much.

Didn't Raining post something about her friend taking too much protein shakes and almost dying? :(

I wrote several paragraphs then deleted them after this, to do with, essentially, the need for a philosophy to go with veganism, because ultimately there are things meat offers in abundance that are a hassle to try and upkeep elsewise. Also, realistically speaking, upkeeping iron or protein on a vegan diet will ultimately not save you many pennies. The choice you have in shops or restaurants becomes limited quickly, quick and easy food while out with friends or whatever becomes trickier and more of a bother... so if you don't have the philosophy to drive you then you'll question the point of it all.

But yeah - I'll respect people who do it but I won't agree that it's the smartest thing to do. Vegetarianism is perfectly possible and stuff. Another mental block for this paragraph. I'll stop now.

I actually find that buying/keeping/preparing meat was more of a hassle than not doing it (maybe because I used to be super lazy). re:shops/restaurants: there will always be a salad or pasta with meatless marinara sauce. Dublin is not exactly Portland (apparently a vegetarian-friendly wonderland) though, so yeah, you do miss out when eating out.

I respect your respect for people who choose vegetarianism :)

Animal's FTW.

The concept of "Vegan" annoys me. Its so.....ugh. (Sorry Vegan's)

Animals are so tasty.

I did feel really sad/horrified by a bit in Life in a Day, where it has an extended scene of a cow being killed for (presumably) later consumption. Not in "OMG I never realised they did that!" way - I'm not ignorant. Made me think for a second. Then I got over it and ate my hotdog.

TBF money-wise I've thrown out meat many times. Veg tends to survive the use-by-date pretty much all the time.

I am vegetarian for breakfast and lunch and 20% of my dinners but I just can't fight the urge for bacon/burger every now and then :P

But yes! You're right. Restaurants are quite good at catering for a spectrum of diets (except MSG. I went to an upmarket vietnamese/thai restaurant the other week and there was one dish out of 90 that didn't have MSG in), so if that's your bag then I don't see a problem with it :) I just want to make sure daft's doing it for the right reasons, not just that he wants the vegan (girl) friend's pants to get lost on his floor somewhere.

What I've never really understood with veganism and vegetarianism why make food that replicates the look of meat? What's the point of eating a fake sausage exactly? I don't particularly like fish, I sure wouldn't shape my substitute chicken into a fish shape just to fit in.

There may be plenty of protein in it, but it's not going to taste anywhere near as good as chicken and shtuff.

Chicken is the food of champions. I couldn't live without it.

What I've never really understood with veganism and vegetarianism why make food that replicates the look of meat? What's the point of eating a fake sausage exactly? I don't particularly like fish, I sure wouldn't shape my substitute chicken into a fish shape just to fit in.

Because they're cowards. They want to rebel but don't want to look like they're rebelling too much.

It'd be culinary anarchy!