NEurope
chairdriver

Breaking The Waves

My initial response was "Breaking the Waves? More like...breaking wind!"

Then I saw it was an artsy romance movie and my response was:

"pfft, gay"

But then I realized that's not a good thing to say and I dont mean it as an insult to my homosexual brothers and bottoms, so here's the sanitized version of what I meant:

"pfft. Of interest to those who still believe love is this misty-eyed expression of tearful thanks towards someone who you believe is far superior in mental, physical and emotional capacity to you and has thereby overwhelmed you with a sense of misplaced gratitude at the thought that they might reciprocate one tiny iota of the feelings you have deluded yourself into having. Also of interest to those who believe that movies that feature more blindingly elegant vistas and symbolism are intrinsically superior to any other form of art through their overt ambition to give you a false sense of belonging by driving you towards the conclusion that YOU are the one person in the cinema/room/underground train who actually "gets" what is going on and thusly you are imbued with an unnecessarily high self-importance quotient and are likely to look askance at anyone who isnt on the same "wavelength" as you. i.e. Everybody as this film has convinced you that by loving it you are somehow superior to everyone else in your vague and extended proximity."

The thing is... "pfft, gay." was a lot easier to think and say than actually explain.

Don't judge a film by it's cover, especially when the cover is purposefully done that way so it doesn't betray the film's true schtick.

Don't judge a film by it's cover, especially when the cover is purposefully done that way so it doesn't betray the film's true schtick.

No...no, I think I'm going to judge it. And I'm going to call it "Breaking Wind".

So ner.

Be bad at life, see if I care.

Pfft. You know you care.

You try not to care, but you care.

You care.

You care.

Why make the thread if you don't care?

You definitely care.

It's a brilliant film.

WTF is that critic quote doing? Take it away from me. 'Carnal love story"? *um*

Bear in mind all ye who watched Dancer In The Dark, its the first of the Golden Hearts Trilogy (Breaking The Waves, The Idiots and Dancer in The Dark). So you know what you're getting yourself into. But then...I hate people avoiding things in case they're 'depressing'. SO WATCH IT and deal.

*runs out*

It's a brilliant film.

WTF is that critic quote doing? Take it away from me. 'Carnal love story"? *um*

Bear in mind all ye who watched Dancer In The Dark, its the first of the Golden Hearts Trilogy (Breaking The Waves, The Idiots and Dancer in The Dark). So you know what you're getting yourself into. But then...I hate people avoiding things in case they're 'depressing'. SO WATCH IT and deal.

*runs out*

I will! My body needs time to recover from DITD. Like...two years.

No synopsis or anything..What are we suppose to discuss how painfully boring that poster is?

inb4yourfaceispainfullyboring

I love coming into chairdriver/Paj! (they're interchangeable to me) threads.

It makes me feel better about any pointless shit I did today.

Take today as an example: I bought some food, cleaned the flat, washed up and watched about 10 episodes of Louie.

I was feeling shitty about today.

But now after seeing that someone had created this thread, with a bunch of shitty images, I feel good.

Instead of doing boring shit you should watch this. It's good.

---

ANYWAY. Of the Lars Von Trier films I've seen (Europa, Dancer In The Dark, Dogville, Antichrist) I'd say this is the best.

It feels the most like a normal/real film. If that makes sense. The most likely to be on Film 4 randomly (/I saw Dancer In The Dark for the first time on Film 4, lol). Dancer In The Dark and Dogville I think are more "Fuck I'm really sad": more overt in what they do, more to the point, where BTW feels like its less about the impact of the story, and more about the story. [/might not make sense, but makes sense to me.]

Emily Watson is Great, superb, stunning, everything to me. Her debut role too. Not even in the way you say "Oh that actor was good in that role", it was more like "Wow, you've turned something that could have been quite bad and lifeless had it been performed by a lesser actor into something quite extraordinary". I want to say she made the film, but then that'd be a disservice to Von Trier, whose directing genius brilliantly shines through. It's due to his ability to extract the best from all his actors, by whatever means. There's rumours that he pushed Bjork so hard that she went crazy and started chewing on her shoe, and after Dancer In The Dark she swore to never act again.

I loved Scotland. So rare that good things are set there. So rare that it acts as a stimulus for things that we should care about. And I found the Calvinist setting really interesting, because it's something I've always known about, but never held in my mind when I consider the change in the UK in the 20th century. I never remember that it was only 40 years ago that such backward way of thinking was the norm.

I love how the film highlights themes/bullshit, but doesn't necessarily dwell on them. Kinda reminds me of Almodovar, he's similarly so aware, but rarely dwells, because the story/characters are primary. Well of course we can all tell the church in BTW is repugnantly sexist, but Von Trier cares more about focusing on his characters.

On the subject of characters, Dorothy is he greatest. I had such faith. A genuinely selfless person. And in some ways, despite being a supporting character, the film was as much about her than it was Bess. The outsider. Pathos flew everywhere.

The soundtrack was great (at the chapter titles). Was underused, but obviously you can see why it was. Makes me want to just get a whole load of 70s music and listen and become unmade/a-maid again.

Stellan Skarsgard was great. I hated his character. Which was the point, I guess. Now I understand why he's held with such regard.

The very very end was great. DEAL with God. DEAL with inexplicable things.

In some ways, it feels rude to rate it, because that has implications that you're thinking of it in the same sphere as other films. As though you're placing it alongside Transformers 3. When it feels so disconnected. It's like how there's no order property in the complex plane -- you can't say that one complex number is greater than another complex number.

*a single clap*

Yes. I knew. I knew it'd be a good birthday present.

I loved hearing my favourite song in it.

Your style of explaining media is is abstract and different to mine that I can read pages of what you say and still not have a clue what you are on about.

So in short, I have no desire to see this film because I haven't been given a reason why.

So in short, I have no desire to see this film because I haven't been given a reason why.

[ nvtt21.gif2jfn7ye.gifdr2_7_252gif35.gif6oo0op.jpg2gsizup.gifgallery_9259_86_251745.giftumblr_l8e8fcWwkM1qzb096.gifo7lkjr.jpg30xefb6.gif

]

One day Diageo, when you least expect it...I will shit on you.

After all those gifs I wasn't expecting that line Paj!

Oh god I'm laughing too much. :laughing: Strangely tickled.

One day Diageo, when you least expect it...I will shit on you.

So blunt, so direct, so unlike you. I love.

Instead of doing boring shit you should watch this. It's good.

---

You see... This is how you should've started the thread. Nobody is going to appreciate the drama you are trying to generate by understating it with a few images, if they don't know what the fuck it is.

Also it's painfully camp. I actually visualise you swishing your hand and lifting your nose as you hit the submit button as if to say "Look at this. Isn't it stunning?"

[i don't understand why people don't seem to take any meaning from GIFs? The point in posting them is that substitute Rihanna for me, and that was my reaction. They're 100 times more descriptive of my reaction to the film than any chunk of writing could be.]