NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

I don't get why people are saying Bale and Walcott, surely it is Gervinho v Bale (Winner: Bale) and Walcott v Lennon (Winner: Walcott)?

I also agree with Madpool about the players in Liverpool who would get into the Tott side.

As for Chelsea players, even I'm not sure. I think Ivanovic and Cech have a good shout if we're talking about current form ish. Barely that even.

I agree with Maddog about the Liverpool players as well. If Gerrard was fit and on-form. Ashley Cole is a beast, even though I love Benny and think he's our most improved player of the last 5 years.

Oh yeah, forgot about Ashley. He would get into most sides in the world I think.

Definitely. He's a hateful man but I can't think of many better left backs in world football, if any.

Enrique has been better than any left back in the Premiership the past year. Cole has been average for ages, Evra has been terrible for ages. Marcelo is better than Cashley.

My PL X11

----------------Reina

Richards --- Vidic --- Kompany --- Enrique

--------------- Gerrard

Nasri ----------------------------- Monkey Boy

----------------Silva

-----------Suárez --- V.Persie

That team wouldn't actually that great in the real world, as Gerrard isn't a holding midfielder, but he had to be in there. Silva and Suárez floating around everywhere with Nasri (who's better in the middle, but whatever) and Bale providing some width. Van Persie would bang in 30, Suárez 25 goals and 15 assists.. Silva would get about something ridiculous like 30 assists and 5-10 goals. Nasri would get chip in with a nice amount, as would Bale. Gerrard would be the heart of the midfield and keep us ticking. Richards and Enrique would destroy teams with their pace and strength.

:D

That front 5 would destroy anybody though. :heh:

No it wouldn't, because they wouldn't have the protection needed, a half decent tactician could rip that to shreds. Swap Gerrard for parker, De Jong or someone similar is needed for that attacking line up!

Did you not read the rest of my post? I said it wouldn't work. It's a fantasy eleven, that team will never actually play together. :p

@MadDog I really do wonder where you get your ideas from sometimes. At least you admit that team would never work, which it wouldn't. Playing 3 players who essentially have the same role, two of them you therefore have to play in uncomfortable positions. You lack natural width for a 4-4-2 that would be provided if you induced possibly Bale, Nani or Walcott (although I do like to play Theo down the center which I'm sure he will move into in 1-2 years when AOC is ready). Speaking of Walcott lots has been mentioned about RvP and his incredible scoring record however finally people seem to be realising many have been tap ins. The midfield behind him is what is starting to click and providing him with opportunities. Song has impressed, Gervinho and Arteta too. If we're doing Prem XI I'll try not to let any of my natural bias creep in here and make a team that would work.

Reina

Richards - Vidić - Kompany - A. Cole

Parker - Carrick

Arteta

Silva - Rooney

van Persie

Had to go for a 4-3-3 because I just love it, Back 5 explains itself. Parker and Carrick are to hold the midfield. Both have been good for their own team, Carrick played fantastically in midweek and Parker will keep discipline. Will require two defensive midfielders as I wouldn't want Arteta to do too much running back, he's there mostly to provide the passes to the front 3. Rooney will support Cole as he ventures forward and allows the freedom Cole enjoys. Front 3 can interchange and would like them too if required.

Has everyone else been watching a different Vidic from me? A guy who was dropped not that long ago due to form. No doubt one of the best when he's playing well but I thought was an 11 based on form?

Vidic has been a bit pony this year, but I'd still rate him as one of the top centre backs in the league.

Are you guys bat-shit crazy? Vidic has played something like 4 league games this year. He's not been dropped at all, he's been injured. I can't even remember the last time Vidic was dropped because of poor form.

I wasn't picking my team on form, just the best players i could think of. It's not a serious team, just a thrown together fantasy team. Don't take it too seriously. :p

The problem with fantasy teams is that everybody just goes for the star players, the leading goal-scorers and star strikers. Football is half attack, half defence as one unit. Also, when choosing a team, it really depends on what formation your opponent plays or the players they play. There's not a truly one size fits all team because there's different ways you can beat your opponent.

Even Fresh's team, seems quite narrow to me. When playing with Van Persie up top, a striker can be marked out of the game by two central defenders.

That's the problem with fantasy teams, for me. You kinda need an opposition team to work against it. Otherwise its just...simply picking the "best" players in each position and putting them in 11 positions.

That's what i did. :p

It's never going to play against anyone so you can put whoever you want in. Doesn't matter if it won't work. :p

I think it's far more fun to do it deathmatch style. You choose a team, somebody else chooses another, and we debate over which one would win.

So between Fresh's and yours...its a tough one. I think Carrick and Parker would do a better job at anchoring that midfield than Gerrard. You've got the better attacking players. Arteta seems to be the weak link in Fresh's team. I'd take him out and fit somebody else in there for that three man midfield. Too bad Essien isn't fit, as he would be the ideal player.

@Fresh.

Carrick? Reaaaaally? :p

I know, I know, a couple of weeks ago I would have been saying the same thing. However recently Carrick has been uniteds best performer in matches. He may not get the headlines or the goals but he's very effective at what he does and would anchor the team I proposed with Parker and I believe be thoroughly effective.

Even Fresh's team, seems quite narrow to me. When playing with Van Persie up top, a striker can be marked out of the game by two central defenders.

I thought the same but really I've stolen the formation from Spain circa 2008.

I always find these best XI quite uninteresting until you throw a spanner in the works.

Something like Best XI, however no player come come from the 'Big 6'?*

*Big Six = United, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs.

I've wasted hours studying doing these with my mates.

Bloody hell, we got a draw at Old Trafford. Get in :D

I can imagine that was the single most frustrating match of the season so far for a M United fan though. The penalty that was awarded really shouldn't have been, so many chances cleared off the line and possibly even an acceptable goal incorrectly ruled for offside at the end (not had a proper look at that though).

Still though, credit to Krul and our defence, some of their efforts were heroic. After Jonas went off I was pretty sure we were screwed, but somehow we held on. Also, it was bloody lovely to see Rooney get no goal against us, especially after I had taken him out of my fantasy team. :heh:

Modric and VDV out. 3-1 away win with 25 chances. Happy days.

2 points of United now with a game in hand.

iPaul, it was very frustrating to watch.

The penalty decision was such a terrible one, and it did change the outcome of the game. But, that's only a small bit of what pisses me off.

The midfield were/are just so ordinary. As great as Ryan Giggs is, he should not be playing midfield against Newcastle, who are in the top four. It just doesn't work. We've got quite a few strikers on the books (Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov, Wellbeck, Owen, Macheda) but next to no central midfielders to get the ball to them on a weekly basis.

The standout below par performer for me today was Ashley Young. Looked lazy in Europe this week, did nothing all game and should have scored the winner which was a tap in. At least Nani offers something and does supply others.

Newcastle were outstanding defensively, and they could do nothing about the penalty, so I won't begrudge them that. You take your chances and just roll with it. But, I just wonder how long it's going to go on for. Cleverley and Anderson are both out until January, so that leaves Carrick, Fletcher and potentially Ryan Giggs if he's played in midfield again.

We were poor in front of goal today, should have had Fulham dead and buried before half time. I think Wednesday's game took it out of them. Two points dropped. The chase continues.

Just noticed I'm top of the n europe fantasy league table, at least until tomorrow :bouncy: Can we get like a list compiled or something so we know which team belongs to which member? The only ones I think I know are Jayseven and Claris :heh:

I'm Prediction: Pain. (bonus points if you can guess where that's from).

I've been spending less and less time on that. I blame Xpert11.

My team is NinjaMegaZordPowaaaaah.

How many more times is Hernandez going to score a goal that's just hit him? What's 10 now?

My team is NinjaMegaZordPowaaaaah.

How many more times is Hernandez going to score a goal that's just hit him? What's 10 now?

The man has Jesus on his side. All he has to do is stand in the box and it'll somehow go in. Can't buy luck, you either have it or you don't. He has it.

He's taken all of Torres' luck as well, by the looks of it. Maybe Kaka's, too.