NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

For the record, the word "Negrito" is not insulting by itself*. It's all in the context, so accusing someone of being racist simply by uttering it (in a Spanish accent, no less) is incredibly ignorant.

*(it doesn't translate as "Little Black Man", it translates roughly to "Blacky". The concept of diminutives is always tricky to explain in English)

And the context in this case happens to be an argument involving a scumbag, and a black man he clearly has no friendly relations with.

Ramar, I love how 'Peter's Fan Chants' ran that test in 2011. Couldn't be any less credible if it tried. I don't see how any of these can bear any relevance considering stadium acoustics, spread of fans and capacity, but if one of them is closer to the truth it's going to be the 2008 one, run and endorsed by Sky and their engineers.

Wigan are 12th I see in that list. :indeed:

Edited by spirited away

And the context in this case happens to be an argument involving a scumbag, and a black man he clearly has no friendly relations with.

Personal opinions on the man aside, it still depends on how he used it, even within a discussion.

I was under the impression that he was getting flack for it simply because he used the word, but if he used it in (and only in) this heated discussion/argument, then a case for racism can be made.

All I was saying is, the word by itself is insufficient argument for racism. In fact, calling someone Negrito instead of Negro can even imply that you don't mean it in a bad way, as diminutives are often used affectionately.

I'm still amazed by the ridiculous comments from Blatter that racism should be just settled by a handshake. Quite a few people calling for him to step down now it seems.

I'm still amazed by the ridiculous comments from Blatter that racism should be just settled by a handshake. Quite a few people calling for him to step down now it seems.

All that needs to be said is that he's a corrupt moron that needs to go. What I find is surprising is that the wheels of the 'Sepp Blatter Out' movement are only now starting to roll.

For the record, the word "Negrito" is not insulting by itself*. It's all in the context, so accusing someone of being racist simply by uttering it (in a Spanish accent, no less) is incredibly ignorant.

*(it doesn't translate as "Little Black Man", it translates roughly to "Blacky". The concept of diminutives is always tricky to explain in English)

I was told by a Spanish native it meant Little Black Man, but Blacky is not really that far off. Still, given the context of when it was said, I still say it's a stupid thing to say.

The silver lining in all of this is that Blatter is now under a tiny bit of pressure to go.

All that needs to be said is that he's a corrupt moron that needs to go. What I find is surprising is that the wheels of the 'Sepp Blatter Out' movement are only now starting to roll.

I'm the same. He's been shit for years, why only now is there big calls for him to step down (which he never will)?

Blatter doesn't need to step down.. He needs to be put down. Useless old prick.

Looking at the fixtures running up to Christmas makes me excited. We have 5 bottom-half teams and 3 home games. Of course, we could just as easily pick up minimal points than remain unbeaten through the five games.

Arsenal have a decent fixture list as well. But Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle seem to all have tricky games and will be taking points off each other. Will be very interesting to see the table in the New Year.

Just got in from work, off to Norwich at about 7. No rest for the wicked. In the Norwich end with my old man (who's city), so could be a little interesting. :blank:

Did I miss something or has a whole saturday gone by and no one posted a thing in the football thread?

382716_10150410669403630_514683629_8342141_385526663_n.jpg

How about this for the worst view in the stadium. :woops:

Gary Neville : " At time's I wonder if David Luiz is being controlled by a 10 year old in the crowd with a Playstation controller." Hahaha, so true. Sideshow Bob is putting in one of the worst centre-back performances I've seen in a while. He is definitely not a CB, maybe not even a defender tbh. Chelsea's defence = ragged. Mikel playing piss poor as well. Still fancy a draw though.

Just knew it, spend the week saying he's shite then he scores a winner.

Crisis club Arsenal now level on points with Liverpool and Chelsea (Spurs too, but you'd think they'll get something out of two games in hand).

I thought it was a good win yesterday against Swansea. They fought really well though and could have nicked a point. 1-0 seems like a fair scoreline, and I'm happy about the clean sheet. It's also great to see Ferdinand and Vidic playing alongside each other again, hopefully that will be the start of a good run.

I also watched the Chelsea-Liverpool game today. Chelsea's defending was awffuuuuul. Like Spirited Away, I laughed at that Gary Neville comment (so very true, and I actually think Gary is a good pundit/commentator). David Luiz was so indisciplined, stepping forward and trying to play offside by himself, getting caught out of position, leaving people unmarked.

Also, if nothing fires up Torres or gets him motivated, like coming on as a sub against your former team and then needing to score, then nothing will. The guy is jinxed.

Luiz needs to sort himself out, he was crap. The whole defence except perhaps Ivanovic had a shite game.

So disappointed. We were the better team the second half, but Johnson's goal was good.

Shit defending costs everyone points. No matter which team you are. I thought Liverpool's passing game was a lot better than Chelsea's in the first half.

They did look better in the second, but Liverpool rode their luck and the winner knocked the wind out of Chelsea.

Also, I'm thankful everyday that United managed to dodge a bullet in the shape of Jon Obi Mikel.

:D

Sooooooo happy with the win, believe we deserved the 3 points looking at the whole game.

About Neville, i really want to hate his commentary, but apart from his voice being slightly boring, and how he says Liverpool, he actually says smart things and i usually agree with the scouser. :)

Adam was boss, as was Lucas, they really outplayed Chelskis 3 man midfield. Bellers was quality, as he has been whenever he has played this season. He's a brilliant squad member, he knows where he stands within the squad, and he's happy knowing he will not play every game. He's been brilliant, love him. Suárez didn't even tear them apart like he usually does to other teams, but he was still quality. Defence was solid, i fucking love Agger. He's such a beautiful footballer. If he wasn't made of glass, he'd be considered one of the best in the Premiership easily, i feel the same about Vermaelan actually, they'd be fucking amazing in the same team. Skrtel was solid, as was Enrique. Johnson's goal was brilliant. Pleased with Henderson aswell when he came on, had immense energy and played in a really positive way. Reina's save was superb, really thought sideshow bob had got their 2nd.

I wonder how many times a Chelski player got megged today. :p Suárez was nutmegging them all over the place, great to watch.

I'm really hopeful about the City game, i know we can win. If our players play as i know we can, we have a real chance i believe. We bossed City last season, but they're better now than before. If our big players step up, we can cause them problems. We just need to smoother and disrupt their immense attack. If we do that, then who knows. :)

:DAdam was boss, as was Lucas..

Yeh.. I was actually saying to my friend (before Glen Johnson was awarded Man of the Match) that Lucas would have been my pick as I felt he was absolutely fantastic today :hehe: My friend isn't a fan of his, though, so my compliments were somewhat brushed aside :heh:

Apart from the Spurs game, we have competed really well with the top teams this year and were unlucky not to beat Man United. The game next week will be a real test but if we can get stuck into City from the start, I have belief that we can end their unbeaten record :grin:

Yeh.. I was actually saying to my friend (before Glen Johnson was awarded Man of the Match) that Lucas would have been my pick as I felt he was absolutely fantastic today :hehe: My friend isn't a fan of his, though, so my compliments were somewhat brushed aside :heh:

Apart from the Spurs game, we have competed really well with the top teams this year and were unlucky not to beat Man United. The game next week will be a real test but if we can get stuck into City from the start, I have belief that we can end their unbeaten record :grin:

I wasn't a fan of Lucas, as many others weren't. Over the past couple of years he's really won me over, so much so that i'd say he is one of our most important players.

I wasn't a fan of Lucas, as many others weren't. Over the past couple of years he's really won me over, so much so that i'd say he is one of our most important players.

If I was to get a name on one of my Liverpool tops, it would be Lucas :heh:

Anyway, at half time today I was pretty worried that it was going to be another one of those games where we dominate the first half but don't get the goals to back it up and, ultimately, drop points. Thankfully, Glen did the business :grin:

I was listening to the commentary on 5live of the Chelski, Pool game. It could have been so much different, sounded like Bellamy escaped a straight red card in the first 25 minutes.

I thought Suarez had a poor game by his standards, in honesty. A lot of running, but not much quality.

If Chelsea keep Sideshow Bob in the centre of defence, I fancy us giving Chelsea a thumping.

Urgh... I'm not enjoying this season at all. How our defence has got so bad is just awful.

I predicted a 2-1 win to Liverpool. You could just see it coming!

I thought Suarez had a poor game by his standards, in honesty. A lot of running, but not much quality.

If Chelsea keep Sideshow Bob in the centre of defence, I fancy us giving Chelsea a thumping.

Sorry i can't be bothered to look back to find out who you are talking about. Who is 'us'? (Who do you support?)