NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

Words can't decscribe how I feel at the sheer defeat city gave us today. I did have a sneaky feeling they might win but not by that much!

I'm glad I was in work and not able to watch us get a pasting!

Utter shite.

I don't have sky sports, so was just casually playing Arkham City when I received a text from a mate saying "interesting result aye..."

I text back saying I hadn't watched the game, checked the result and thought it was a typo on the sky sports app.

shocking. completely shocking.

Surprised Evans started in the first place over Jones.

I avoided MoTD2 last night, I don't want to see the goals.

only silver lining is Augerro and Silva are in my dream teams.

Man. I try to avoid results all day in order to savour MOTD, but my gf's dad was all "you don't know the score?!" and it was clear that a team defied teh odds and thrashed a team. Knowing the fixtures, my gut told me that city had beaten Man U severely... honestly, I used to be a Man U fan and I tend to say I'm a neutral these days... but that match was hard to watch. I've been saying all season that this fixture will decide who wins the league and I think it's very true. City proved that they had the hunger and the drive and the squad to excel while Man U really seem to be a bit of a thrift team - a decent squad, but - especially when you look at their champs games - spread rather thin, and perhaps proof that their lacklustre transfer market scourings are taking their toll.

City to win the league now. Fairly comfortably. Alan Hansen was saying that City haven't had to play a match 'up against it', but I think man U have been playing the whole season like a team that is kind of out-reaching for their ability, and they're not really comfortable.

The stats for Man U's loss are unbelievable. Great drama!

As much as i loathe Alan Hansen, I kinda agree with him. Come December and it's fecking freezing and the rain's pissing down away to a team like Everton or Wolves, I can't see Balotelli, Aguero and others being up for the fight if things aren't working out.

City are great when they start well or score early, but there's been a few times this season when they've struggled and I still think their back four is dodgy.

I was in Disneyland up until the early hours of this morning, with Ine's family. This is the first match of the season which I've missed and I've not had a chance to look at the highlights.

My initial impression over the teamsheet was that it was a positive team we put out, except for the centre of defence, which looked weak. My worry was that Ferdinand and Evans would be robbed for pace, so I did think we would concede today. Still, with the rest of the team we put out, the likes of Rooney, Young, Nani and Welbeck, I thought we could get something from this.

Ine will vouch that I was checking the scores every few minutes. Complete madness. Half-time was 1-0 to them, so I thought we could turn it around in the second half. Next time I looked, we were 2-0 and a player down, then 3, then after that it was 5-1. Couldn't really believe it at all. 6-1 at home is a travesty.

We haven't played exceptionally well for a few games now, and it's been pretty obvious that defensively we are vulnerable. The one I feel sorry for is De Gea, as his defence are not helping him out one bit.

Terrible, and pretty disheartening. But, what we need now is the team to get that edge back, because as a team we've been coasting for far too long. I'd really like to see us turn it on and frighten other teams because now we've got something to prove.

It was massively disappointing. Obviously City played well but I'm afraid Evans basically handed them the win when he got in a terrible position. I really don't rate him at all.

I also feel really sorry for De Gea - for a first season in the Premiership he's playing incredibly well and making some great saves - he has all the makings of a really top-class keeper. However, to progress he needs a strong defence and right now he doesn't have that.Its unfair on him, and I hope Ferguson does something about it. With Ferdinand out injured for months at a time and Vidic getting red cards all over the place (although in the game the other day it shouldn't have been a red) we need two solid centre backs in reserve. I'm happy that Jones is one of them, but Evans most definitely isn''t the second. We need to buy someone in January.

How many of you United fans know any Man City fans?

I know one, and boy did he piss me off on Sunday.

But I suppose it's only fair given the texts that I've sent him.

More to the point, how many of you United fans live within 100 miles of Old Trafford? :P.

More to the point, how many of you United fans live within 100 miles of Old Trafford? :P.

Heh. :grin:

Although that some what links to my point, it wasn't entirely what I was getting at.

I've been reading all sorts of rubbish about on the internet, one friend put "worst day of my life". When really he probably doesn't even know a single Man City fan. A lot of fans will escape the banter the most definitely deserve.

Plenty at my work, sadly. As well as lots of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool fans to really rub it in. Still, we all know their times will come, and it's still only October and there's plenty of time left this season. We'll bounce back from this. As one of my work colleagues said yesterday, "I wouldn't want to play United next week after a loss like that."

I've never heard that one before! Amazing. :roll eyes:

Dad from Manc, born there, moved down here for his job when I was 1. Not a huge amount of choice in the matter, tbh.

Remind me - why do we have to live within 100 miles of a ground to love a club? I forgot :p

Plenty at my work, sadly. As well as lots of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool fans to really rub it in. Still, we all know their times will come, and it's still only October and there's plenty of time left this season. We'll bounce back from this. As one of my work colleagues said yesterday, "I wouldn't want to play United next week after a loss like that."

I've never heard that one before! Amazing. :roll eyes:

Dad from Manc, born there, moved down here for his job when I was 1. Not a huge amount of choice in the matter, tbh.

Remind me - why do we have to live within 100 miles of a ground to love a club? I forgot :p

I just can't stand cockney reds to be honest. Met a bloke from Highbury area at a house party on Saturday that supports them; gave him a pasting.

What does how far you are from the club have to do anything? Isn't the fact that I'll spend £300 just to down to one game enough?

I have cousin who is city much to the disgust of the family! And he used to work in the United Megastore for a bit in the 90's! Phone didn't stop going on Sunday from him. He loved it after years of grief from the rest of us.

I also work with a couple of City fans who loved asking me how my weekend was on Monday morning.

It was massively disappointing. Obviously City played well but I'm afraid Evans basically handed them the win when he got in a terrible position. I really don't rate him at all.

I also feel really sorry for De Gea - for a first season in the Premiership he's playing incredibly well and making some great saves - he has all the makings of a really top-class keeper. However, to progress he needs a strong defence and right now he doesn't have that.Its unfair on him, and I hope Ferguson does something about it. With Ferdinand out injured for months at a time and Vidic getting red cards all over the place (although in the game the other day it shouldn't have been a red) we need two solid centre backs in reserve. I'm happy that Jones is one of them, but Evans most definitely isn''t the second. We need to buy someone in January.

Not sure I agree with you on buying someone in January. I don't think we need to. Yes Rio may be past it but he is still up there. We have Him and Vidic then Jones and Smalling as backup then Evans. I like Evans. He had a bad spell last year and Sunday's sending off was awful but people too easily forget all of the good games he has had for us. Thing is he always had the potential but he is now old enough to have reached that but he hasn't quite got there but that doesn't mean we should write him off.

We also have the Da Silva brothers and not forgetting Evra. There are also a few other youngsters doing well (which we may see tonight) such as Fryers and Brown.

If we were to buy, then who? if we spend big then they would have to come above Rio, Vidic, Jones and Smalling and I don't think there is anyone around who would fit or who we would want.

I just can't stand cockney reds to be honest. Met a bloke from Highbury area at a house party on Saturday that supports them; gave him a pasting.

I guess I'm classed as a Cockney red then growing up in London supporting United so I am one of those people you just can't stand. You shouldn't tarnish us with the same brush.

I don't need to justify why I support United. But I will tell you why. My Dad is from Salford, met my Mum who is from Catford. Got married, decided living in London was better than Manchester. Had kids, me and my sister and thus since I was a baby I was dressed in a united kit and forced to support United by not only my Dad but my mum too.

I tried to break away and support Charlton (Went to lots of games as a kid - £1 entry back then) but was not allowed thank God. When I was at primary school everyone was Liverpool and glory hunting away and people couldn't understand why I supported United. Then boom we start winning and I get all the glory hunting cockney red shit. Pisses me off.

I love united and always will depsite trying to go against my Dad as a kid :) I'm a one united member, have been for years. I don't get to as many games as I would like, didn't go to any premier league games last season and only 2 home champs games but I have been working away lot. Plus it's bloody expensive!

I don't know where I'm going with this but just wanted to say don't judge everyone who supports united and doesn't have a manc accent with the same brush. Yes there are lots of glory hunters world wide, you're going to get that with any successful team but does it really matter and bother you that much?

Edited by Platty

I should clarify really. I'm talking about the people I've grown up around that eschew local clubs purely for the glory of United. I'm not questioning the viability of being a fan if you're not necessarily in the near vicinity.

I think the mentality in Brighton is that most people support two teams - someone in the Prem for whatever reason, but always proud for Brighton to do well, too.

It's weird though. Certain teams I find are 'acceptable' to support - man u, chelsea, liverpool, arsenal. There were outsider fans here and there as I grew up - spurs, west ham, everton... for little reason other than a certain player or kit at a certain point in their lives.

I never really know if fans think my supporting situation is ok or not (not that I care though to be fair but for the sake of the conversation. I support Liverpool but never lived there, both my parents did along with all their family so I was just brought up to support Liverpool pretty much from birth.

Park Chu-Young, in the words of that twat Andy Gray "Tikka boo son".

Oh Suárez, his first was absolutely superb and his second was brilliant positioning, and an easy finish. :)

Very few players better than him in England at the moment.

His first goal -

Edited by MadDog

Oh Suárez, his first was absolutely superb and his second was brilliant positioning, and an easy finish. :)

Very few players better than him in England at the moment.

His first goal -

Speaking of, what five players would you say have the started the season the strongest?

Liverpool players?

Enrique has been brilliant, as has Kelly on the other side. When Bellamy has played he's been really good, same with Henderson. Suárez has been sublime. Gerrard has been really good in his first couple of games.

I'd say everyone has been at least decent.

Liverpool players?

Enrique has been brilliant, as has Kelly on the other side. When Bellamy has played he's been really good, same with Henderson. Suárez has been sublime. Gerrard has been really good in his first couple of games.

I'd say everyone has been at least decent.

Oh I meant the league, but it's interesting to hear both anyway.

Names that spring to mind: Silva, Aguero, Rooney, Van Persie, Suarez, Van der Vaart, Krul.

Cabaye looks class, brilliant buy. Krul has been brilliant aswell. I'd agree with your other picks.

Missed the first half because of work, enjoyed our 4-1 thrashing of Chelsea in the second half though, was relieved Szczeny only got the yellow, why he came out so far I have no idea and you could argue the challenge itself was red worthy, I'd like to think he was just making himself big and just caught Cole on the follow through because he is looking at the ball not the man.

What a disaster that was. Awful defending from both teams but Arsenal simply punished our bad defending more than we could theirs.

It's put a total downer on my day. :mad:

Mertesacker was at fault for two of the goals. Unusually they were both aerial ones, he looked solid with the ground game. Mata's strike was class, obvious foul aside. We dominated the second half and looked like we could have cut Chelsea open every time we went forward. Can't say enough good things about Robin van Persie, he's the best striker in the world currently. I thought Theo and Ramsay had very good games but my favourite was Koscielny. I've always stood up for him when he was getting slated and in the last few games he's been brilliant. He was the only defender who came out of todays game with any credit, didn't put a foot wrong.

Mistakes aside, we beat one of the best teams in the world away from home, 9 wins in last 10. Man City aside, we've now played all the top sides, so we should have a few 'easier' games ahead. It's only one game, but it's always good to remind those who forget what a great side we are. Great to have Vermaelen back, now if only we could keep Gibbs fit for more than 3 games at a time and get Sagna and Wilshere back.

COYG.

What a game, both teams couldn't defend for toffee but I am buzzing.. Then I found out Jimmy Saville had died. :shakehead

ARSENE WENGER'S HAVIN' A PARTY! BRING THE VODKA AND THE CHARLIE!

Edited by Ramar