NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

People should be bashing Carrick for not wanting to play. It should be an honour to even be called into the squad regardless of whether you play or not.

I think people are bashing Henderson because he's nowhere near good enough to be in the England squad but because of injuries and players not wanting to play they have no other choice.

Personally, I'm delighted that you have Henderson and Lennon in the squad. That's a dangerous midfield you have right there. :laughing:

Going to disagree with the first part of your post. Where's the honour in getting overlooked by consecutive managers? If Carrick was to play any part in Roy's plans, he'd have known about it by now. Getting selected is nice, but seeing the team suffer disappointment after disappointment and still not get a chance to try and influence the game must be demoralising. I blame the managers in that instance.

It would be nice if everyone got off Henderson's back :hmm: Give the lad a chance..

He's had a whole season at Liverpool. As has Downing.

What about giving somebody like Leon Osman a try? Very under-rated and is brilliant for Everton. Would rather see him playing than Henderson. Or Downing for that matter.

There's also the likes of Jack Rodwell. He's young and would offer something different.

Don't agree Flink. If St Albans City came knocking on my door I'd be chuffed to play for them, let alone the national side. Turning your back on your country because a few managers didn't pick you, stinks of stuck up footballer who's forgot what it means to most people.

Don't agree Flink. If St Albans City came knocking on my door I'd be chuffed to play for them, let alone the national side. Turning your back on your country because a few managers didn't pick you, stinks of stuck up footballer who's forgot what it means to most people.

Not everyone will agree on this, no doubt. But, where is the honour in being a benchwarmer? You wouldn't accept it at club level, so why would you at International level? Also, "a few managers" is really not telling the whole picture, is it? It's not like the domestic game where you could have the revolving door process (like at Chelsea) and in theory have a new manager after every season. These managers tend to be in charge of a tournament or two. So, two managers could be anywhere from 4 to 8 years, or even beyond. That's the bulk of your international career.

I'm going to argue that there isn't enough competition for places anyway, so being a bit part player is useless. We have been sticking with Gerrard and Lampard for so long and that has pretty much made up the central midfield area. It's closed the door for others. There was a time when Hargreaves got in, but due to injuries he's been out of it. Not his fault.

I'm convinced he wouldn't have been chosen anyway, had he been available for selection. If Roy is choosing players based on how well they are playing domestically, then Glen Johnson and Downing would not have got in, let alone be first choice. Joe Cole is far more deserving of a place due to his season than Downing. He's the forgotten man.

Not everyone will agree on this, no doubt. But, where is the honour in being a benchwarmer? You wouldn't accept it at club level, so why would you at International level? Also, "a few managers" is really not telling the whole picture, is it? It's not like the domestic game where you could have the revolving door process (like at Chelsea) and in theory have a new manager after every season. These managers tend to be in charge of a tournament or two. So, two managers could be anywhere from 4 to 8 years, or even beyond. That's the bulk of your international career.

I'm going to argue that there isn't enough competition for places anyway, so being a bit part player is useless. We have been sticking with Gerrard and Lampard for so long and that has pretty much made up the central midfield area. It's closed the door for others. There was a time when Hargreaves got in, but due to injuries he's been out of it. Not his fault.

I'm convinced he wouldn't have been chosen anyway, had he been available for selection. If Roy is choosing players based on how well they are playing domestically, then Glen Johnson and Downing would not have got in, let alone be first choice. Joe Cole is far more deserving of a place due to his season than Downing. He's the forgotten man.

Joe Cole? Are you serious? He's pointless.

Johnson has had a good season, I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

Henderson has played how many minutes for England? Players perform differently from club to country, give him a chance at international level.

Whats with the England players just lunging in with their tackles today?

I think the hate for Hendersom comes from him having done nothing to warrant his selection in the team, that goes for Downing too. You can defend them to the hills and talk up their potential but in the end that counts for nothing. Players are picked on what they've done not what they possibly could do. How exactly is Joe Cole pointless? he's had a very good season for Lille, certainly better than anyone in that centre midfield than Parker. Henderson is perhaps picked due to the lack of other options but the same can't be said for Downing, there's plenty of better options that have been ignored.

I can't believe Osman has never played for England, the guy is so underrated. Considering the lack of creative midfielders England have, he should definitely be in that squad.

Whats with the England players just lunging in with their tackles today?

Scotty Parker's been pretty guilty of that lately, particularly in the last few games for Spurs. Surprised he hasn't got himself sent off lately.

Thought England weren't too bad today. Really solid back line in any case. Ox doesn't look quite ready to me, though I think he'll do alright as a impact sub. Defoe had a pretty good game at the end, definitely an option upfront..

Joe Cole? Are you serious? He's pointless.

Johnson has had a good season, I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

Henderson has played how many minutes for England? Players perform differently from club to country, give him a chance at international level.

Do you not remember his performance vs France. Looked way out of his depth.

There us no denying that he had a very average/poor season and to be fair Joe Cole had a good season at Lille.

Anyway I watched the England game and again England show what an average team they really are. Midfield lacking guile, flair and creativity.

Got no chance in the euro's and I expect England to be going home after the 3rd game.

Regarding Henderson again. You know dalglish signed him instead of mario gotze from Dortmund.

Crazy decision!!

Edited by khilafah

Do you not remember his performance vs France. Looked way out of his depth.

There us no denying that he had a very average/poor season and to be fair Joe Cole had a good season at Lille.

Anyway I watched the England game and again England show what an average team they really are. Midfield lacking guile, flair and creativity.

Got no chance in the euro's and I expect England to be going home after the 3rd game.

Regarding Henderson again. You know dalglish signed him instead of mario gotze from Dortmund.

Crazy decision!!

Where did you get that complete rubbish about Gotze?

Where did you get that complete rubbish about Gotze?

Rory smith @ the times reported it last week.

Steven gerrard at the top top level cannot play center midfield. Gives the ball away way too often!

He really does need to play behind a striker to be effective.

Edited by khilafah

Rory smith @ the times reported it last week.

Steven gerrard at the top top level cannot play center midfield. Gives the ball away way too often!

He really does need to play behind a striker to be effective.

And what the hell does he know?

I know nothing about our transfer dealings, as does that guy.

I bet he could find out more than you.

Are you just saying totally silly things to try and annoy me? :p

In part yes :p

The point I was getting at though, is he may actually know Liverpool were after Gotse as he may have "contacts" as a journalist. You wouldn't know because ye just a silly supporter :)

I know nothing about our transfer dealings, as does that guy.

You do know that there are some damn fine journalists out their they have good contacts at clubs.

Anyway as Kenny was hell bent on signing British players or epl experienced players last summer I would not find this move surprising.

Ok just moved a bunch of post to the England Thread in the Euros board, can ye please remember to use that and use this thread for non-Euro 2012 related stuff, cheers :)

Sky Sports News are reporting that Dennis Bergkamp (!!!!!) is one of the front runners for the Swansea job.

Looks like United have pretty much sealed the Kagawa deal. 13 league goals in 31 for Dortmund is a great achievement. Hoping he comes in and does a good job. Pretty sure we'll get another player or two this summer. Hope so anyway.

I think it is a pretty good deal done by Fergie there, Kagawa looks to have promise. Is this to replace Ji Sung Park though? I thought I read a few pages back he may not be staying?

Another thing added to the ever-growing list that proves you are a tit.

That could of been us under Hicks & Gillett. It's far from happy days.