NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

The first time? They've been boring and unitresting for the past 10 years.

Yeah I know, dunno, with Capello for the first few years you always had the impression they had some sort of vague potential there, even if it went totally unrealised. Or probably I was just somewhat swept up with the 'golden generation' rubbish. With the Hodge it seems like everyone including the players is resigned to England being a completely average team..

I'm still just irritated Downing's being played over Johnson..

I won the first scorer sweepstake, then fell asleep. I guess I didn't miss much?

Yeah I know, dunno, with Capello for the first few years you always had the impression they had some sort of vague potential there, even if it went totally unrealised. Or probably I was just somewhat swept up with the 'golden generation' rubbish. With the Hodge it seems like everyone including the players is resigned to England being a completely average team..

I'm still just irritated Downing's being played over Johnson..

You see the media seem to think he is doing the right thing lowering expectations to relieve pressure on the players I don't think that is what he doing at all he is doing exactly what you said....preparing us for a disappointing campaign. I do honestly think that's why he has stuck with players that some are unsure about. He hasn't got long to get the team round to his way of thinking and an absolute slaughtering at the euros for a ton of newcomers would be terrible and have a knock on effect on World Cup Qualifiers without a doubt. So why not use the same old players for the most part and then its no surprise we do crap, smatter that with a handful of new players and it seems your doing a great job. But then that kinda falls down why not pick Crouch?! (still irks me)

Apart from that one cross really early on which Carroll headed wide Downing did nothing to justify his selection both Johnson and Chamberlain looked way more exciting in their cameos.

Dont forget its Soccer Aid on ITV tomorow evening. Its always good fun and I cant believe they got Ed Norton and Will Ferrell to play.

Watching that game made me realise how little I care about England nowadays compared to my levels of support when Newcastle are involved. I mean I'll still be disappointed when they inevitably get knocked out, but even so.

Club football is so much better than International football from an English perspective right now.

Ok so just want to get a consensus, I was thinking of waiting till June 1st, but as we are now in an international mood, I had set up a temp board for Euro 2012 like we've done in previous Euro's and World Cups.

Shall I make it active now or wait till June 1st?

I'll be doing the usual at Euro 2012. Half heartedly wanting England to win and wanting the Liverpool players to do well, while wanting Spain or Germany to win.

And then thinking/ stating how the Liverpool players played better than anyone...ever?

I said I hope they play well and have good tournaments. I didn't say that.

But yes, I will. :D

And then thinking/ stating how the Liverpool players played better than anyone...ever?

England were shit once Gerrard came off, and Carroll DID have a good game.

England were shit once Gerrard came off, and Carroll DID have a good game.

I just can't wait until Carroll shuts all of them up, I really can't.

I just can't wait until Carroll shuts all of them up, I really can't.

Do you have a specific time frame in mind for waiting? :heh:

Who's watching Soccer Aid? Will Ferrell up front :D

I was there was pretty awesome! Will Ferrell limping off with a hamstring injury gutted. Sergio's goal was immense here it is...

I was there was pretty awesome! Will Ferrell limping off with a hamstring injury gutted. Sergio's goal was immense here it is...

..we could have done with him at Liverpool this season :heh:

Missed soccer aid.

Didn't even know it was on. Was in Manchester though at the eitihad watching rugby league all weekend.

Saw England average peformance vs Norway. They will be lucky to get out the group @ the euro's.

I will be supporting everyone apart from England. Always funny watching England get beat.

Eden Hazard has tweeted he's made his mind up, Guess we'll find out soon.

Rumours going it'll be Chelsea due to a tweet from Louis Saha.

ugh.... I hope not.

Eden Hazard has tweeted he's made his mind up, Guess we'll find out soon.

Rumours going it'll be Chelsea due to a tweet from Louis Saha.

ugh.... I hope not.

Either way all the fannying about he's done and the disrespect he's shown Lille and their supporters in this ridiculous media circus. He has come across as a proper dickhead, in some ways I'm glad we're not in the run-in.

Either way all the fannying about he's done and the disrespect he's shown Lille and their supporters in this ridiculous media circus. He has come across as a proper dickhead, in some ways I'm glad we're not in the run-in.

Very true....however I do worry this kind of thing will become more prevalent amongest modern footballers.If clubs don't start banning players from twitter or telling them they should be very mindful of what they say....I still feel like Joey Barton should have had additional matches added to his ban for bringing the game into disrepute for all his comments on twitter, if had said things of that kind in a post match interview it may have been different.

In other news Barry out injured so let's call up a defender so dumb and yet again all helps England to be thoroughly unexciting. A new manager should spark new life into things and really reinvigorate a squad instead Roy is just boring us.The only thing is Jagielka can play that defensive midfield role just he hasn't done it since his sheffield united days. Still I'd have given Carrick a call or put Johnson in, Jones can always play that defending midfield role.Although then that leave us short at RB if Johnson get injured...in which case call up Richards,just do something interesting.

Is it dumb?

He only had 7 defenders called up with 9 midfielders. I can't think of another midfielder good enough to take on the Barry role really and I'm not even sure Barry would have started even if we end up playing one up front for the first 2 games. I think calling in Jagielka makes sense, he or jones can slot in there if needed. Just got to hope Scotty Parker doesn't go out injured now.

Carrick has said he is not interested in being a bit part player so has more or less retired.

I can see the first 2 games being Carroll up front on his tod with a midfield 5. Walcott and Young on the wings and Parker, Gerrard, Lamps in the middle. Maybe Gerrard playing off Carroll or go with Young playing off him. Not the most exciting but can see it happening until Wazza is back. Will he then switch to 4-4-2? Who knows.

Edited by Platty

its gonna be cautious and negative under Hodgson no doubt!

dunno why people are bothered about Barry not playing. After he got skinned by Ozill at the World Cup in 2010 his international career should has been over.

He has no pace and isnt creative with the ball.

He's a holding midfielder, pace and creativity are not high priorities. Parker has no pace or creativity, but he's still average.

I actually rate Parker rather highly. His work rate and work ethic is second to none. He's not the most attacking player but I can't think of many other midfielders I would want sitting in front of a back four.

As for the call up, they should've brought in Richards. Don't forget that Phil Jones can play comfortably in midfield, both attacking ad defending. Looks dangerous going forward but has played a season in defensive roles so knows both sides. If we need another midfielder he's the one who can easily step up.

He's a holding midfielder, pace and creativity are not high priorities. Parker has no pace or creativity, but he's still average.

Well I wouldnt say Pace is not a high priority. the way Barry was skinned by Ozil was embarrassing.

England's midfield in general though is very average. There is no creativity at all!

France really should beat England quite comfortably.

Edited by khilafah