NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

Kompany, Caulker, Distin, Collocini, Skrtel - to name a few that easily rival those. Players whose teams all boast a greater number of clean sheets, and fewer goals conceded (bar Newcastle). I'd have Kompany over both of those, and I'm sure most people would.

Someone actually gave Skrtel credit? Fair play to you.

He gets nowhere near the amount of credit and recognition he deserves. He's been amazing all season, bar 2 games (Spurs + QPR).

Your trolling sucks. Apart from the City game, Jonny Evans has been nothing short of great for us this season. He's performed more consistently than any of our other defenders and has grown into his position. If anything, the more experienced players have been letting him down this season.

In a season where United went of the Champions League at the first hurdle and then went out of the Europa League too? I think some questions need to be asked.

I really don't rate him at all. There's just no way he's Manchester United quality.

Haven't you heard? Arsenal are a one man team.

Interesting to note that the percentage of Arsenal's total goals scored by Robin van Persie this season is almost identical to Thierry Henry percentage during the invincible season.

Someone actually gave Skrtel credit? Fair play to you.

He gets nowhere near the amount of credit and recognition he deserves. He's been amazing all season, bar 2 games (Spurs + QPR).

Liverpool have a very good first back four, you just don't score enough goals.

Liverpool have a very good first back four, you just don't score enough goals.

Exactly right, it's that simple. I think a couple of signings in the summer we can really start pushing up to the top 4.

Exactly right, it's that simple. I think a couple of signings in the summer we can really start pushing up to the top 4.

I think 4 new players minimum. A proven goalscorer. Two new wingers and and a creative midfield player.

In a season where United went of the Champions League at the first hurdle and then went out of the Europa League too? I think some questions need to be asked.

I really don't rate him at all. There's just no way he's Manchester United quality.

Inexperience and lack of quality in midfield has cost us in europe. Thats not Johnny Evans fault. He is prone to mistakes but once he has a few games under his belt like these last few games he has been pretty good.

I think 4 new players minimum. A proven goalscorer. Two new wingers and and a creative midfield player.

Sounds pretty close to your shopping list in the summer. :P

I do agree but I genuinely think Carroll would come good if he got some decent service. There's still so much pressure on him to justify the £35m price tag and all he gets to feed off in front of goal is scraps. He ain't Torres - he can't do it all himself up there. Carroll was banging them in just fine for Newcastle, so if Liverpool played to him better from midfield it would make all the difference. Thats not to say that the strike force doesn't need bolstered with someone who can alleviate the pressure and actually put the ball in the goal.

Somehow Dalglish had the squad all pulling together when he came in for the second half of last season but that failed to carry through into this season. He was having to plug gaps with youth team players and everyone was playing above their levels. This year they seem to just expect to be fine after all the (ludicrous amounts of) cash that has been put into the squad over the summer. Buying British players, who wouldn't need time to adapt to the Premier League was meant to mean this season wouldn't be one of transition. I understand the theory but it really hasn't worked out. :blank: What we get is the same old LFC who struggle against lesser sides but are still capable of motivating themselves to beat the top teams and winning one of cup tie matches.

And why is he complaining about playing three matches a week? Thats what successful clubs do!

He has? I get he has the turning circle of a train and he's slow. But his positioning, distribution and smart tackling make him a competent defender. He's not set the world alight, but I wouldn't say he's been terrible.

The negatives outweigh the positives, in my opinion. In a slower paced league, I think he would be alright. Unless he's paired with somebody who is more mobile.

How is that down to Jonny? The entire team played poorly and defended very badly. Not defending as a unit = losing games.

He is United quality. Not the finished article yet, but he was at the heart of the defence with Vidic during that clean sheet run a few seasons back. He's done well this season partnering different players in defence and has formed a decent partnership with Ferdinand, who has looked pretty suspect this season.

He's had lots of criticism, but he deserves praise for silencing most of that by getting on with his game. Some used to consider him a liability, but I don't think he should be considered that anymore.

I do agree but I genuinely think Carroll would come good if he got some decent service. There's still so much pressure on him to justify the £35m price tag and all he gets to feed off in front of goal is scraps. He ain't Torres - he can't do it all himself up there. Carroll was banging them in just fine for Newcastle, so if Liverpool played to him better from midfield it would make all the difference. Thats not to say that the strike force doesn't need bolstered with someone who can alleviate the pressure and actually put the ball in the goal.

Somehow Dalglish had the squad all pulling together when he came in for the second half of last season but that failed to carry through into this season. He was having to plug gaps with youth team players and everyone was playing above their levels. This year they seem to just expect to be fine after all the (ludicrous amounts of) cash that has been put into the squad over the summer. Buying British players, who wouldn't need time to adapt to the Premier League was meant to mean this season wouldn't be one of transition. I understand the theory but it really hasn't worked out. :blank: What we get is the same old LFC who struggle against lesser sides but are still capable of motivating themselves to beat the top teams and winning one of cup tie matches.

And why is he complaining about playing three matches a week? Thats what successful clubs do!

Definitely need pace and creativity in the midfield. We fail to open teams up at the moment.

Carroll I not sure about. I agree that the service has been poor but at the same time I think his movement is not good enough. With him being on the bench so much I would be very surprised if he is still at the club next season.

Be very lucky to get £15m for him.

Very pleased with that result against West Brom, they're usually quite a hard team for us to defeat. Honestly thought we were going to lose before the game started, how wrong I was. Cissé and Ben Arfa teamed up very well in the first half and although we had a few wobbly moments in defence, overall it was a much deserved win.

On a side note, I do hope Colloccini and Cissé are alright after both apparently had to come off for injuries...I'd really fear for our defence without the captain.

Still, this makes us level on points with Chelsea, only 5 behind Spurs and 8 (!) ahead of Liverpool. :D Let's hope we can take this momentum with us against Liverpool...

Very pleased with that result against West Brom, they're usually quite a hard team for us to defeat. Honestly thought we were going to lose before the game started, how wrong I was. Cissé and Ben Arfa teamed up very well in the first half and although we had a few wobbly moments in defence, overall it was a much deserved win.

On a side note, I do hope Colloccini and Cissé are alright after both apparently had to come off for injuries...I'd really fear for our defence without the captain.

Still, this makes us level on points with Chelsea, only 5 behind Spurs and 8 (!) ahead of Liverpool. :D Let's hope we can take this momentum with us against Liverpool...

Colloccini has been a beast this season.

Somebody posted this on the BBC website earlier:

"Krul, Coloccini, S Taylor, Santon, Marveaux, Tioté, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba and Papiss = £34.5m. Andy Carroll = £35m."

Colloccini has been a beast this season.

Somebody posted this on the BBC website earlier:

"Krul, Coloccini, S Taylor, Santon, Marveaux, Tioté, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba and Papiss = £34.5m. Andy Carroll = £35m."

Saw that too, such a good stat!

Watching highlights yesterday suggested Totts were the better side but we still had some chances! Gonna be hard to get that champion's league spot!

Liverpool should have their sights aimed higher.

I'm happy with us just making progress. Obviously, i want us to win the league asap/next season, but that's unlikely.

I'd say we are in a better position than last year easily, so I'm relatively satisfied.

I'm happy with us just making progress. Obviously, i want us to win the league asap/next season, but that's unlikely.

I'd say we are in a better position than last year easily, so I'm relatively satisfied.

not in the league. we are no better off and will probably finish lower with less points.

not in the league. we are no better off and will probably finish lower with less points.

We're in a much better position. Better squad, better manager, better owners, won the Carling Cup, in the Semis of the FA Cup.

We're in a much better position. Better squad, better manager, better owners, won the Carling Cup, in the Semis of the FA Cup.

I not disputing that. In the league we are not better off though. Squad is better just about. First XI is no better then last year.

cup success cannot hide the awful league campaign. Liverpool is not a cup team!

I not disputing that. In the league we are not better off though. Squad is better just about. First XI is no better then last year.

cup success cannot hide the awful league campaign. Liverpool is not a cup team!

We've won the most League Cups, and the most European Cups in the country, so we obviously are successful in them.

It doesn't degrade the achievement of winning a cup just because you care more about the league.

Dalglish reads this thread...?

Liverpool were widely expected to challenge for Champions League qualification this season after lavish investment in the summer but Saturday's anaemic home defeat by Wigan Athletic, which followed an extraordinary reverse to another team in the relegation zone, Queens Park Rangers, has left them seventh, 13 points adrift of fourth place, and intensified criticism towards Dalglish. The manager claimed those defeats were events of happenstance and that there is excessive gloom being directed towards a team that has won the Carling Cup and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup, although he admitted all was not rosy for the Reds.

Lol.

Heard some interesting news about Marseille today...

Here.

Apparently with regards to the Bayern Munich Champions League battle Marseille face, the french league have decided it's ok to just delay the fixture the two european games would have bookended. What do people make of this? I think it seems pretty shocking...

Especially when apparently Bordeaux had asked for the same favour a couple of year back but were greeted with a big flat no.

Cheeky bastards. One CL fixture where I won't be rooting for the underdog I guess :heh:

yeah I've heard of it before, Rangers did it a few years back postponing a game against Gretna (who were bottom of the league) the weekend before their final group game against Lyon and promptly got humped 3-0