NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

I've not heard it, but I guess it's due to ongoing transfer negotiations (and how crap we've been at them recently). He started the season well, but he's dropped off the last few games, needs to contribute more than the odd assist for van Persie.

He's never lived up to the hype as he, brief glimpses. That chamberlain looks infinitely better already I reckon, some player.

Would have LOL'ed at this, but someone already made this joke on the BBC live text...

EDIT: Was it youuuuuuuuuuu?!

Haha, Was it?

Who cares though? A very valuable 3 points for us and a great way for Cahill to say goodbye.

He's never lived up to the hype as he, brief glimpses. That chamberlain looks infinitely better already I reckon, some player.

The thing Walcott suffers from isn't just consistency week by week, but consistency in a single game. He drifts in and out of play, just disappears for large chunks of the game. I mean against Chelsea he was crap, then out of no where scored a decent goal.

I've nothing against the wages footballers earn, however I am a believer in earning your wage. If it's true he's asked for £85k, he can jog on. We let Ashley Cole go for less and he was the best left back in the league possibly top 3 in the world at the time.

Forgot to say well played tonight, Newcastle. Deserved it in every single way.

:)

Man U's play was strange...there was 10 minutes or so in the second half where it looked like they were gonna take it up a notch and do the classic late comeback, but then they just fizzled out.

Also, it struck me that Man U could hardly ever win a ball in the air tonight. Is that usually a problem? =S

:)

Man U's play was strange...there was 10 minutes or so in the second half where it looked like they were gonna take it up a notch and do the classic late comeback, but then they just fizzled out.

Also, it struck me that Man U could hardly ever win a ball in the air tonight. Is that usually a problem? =S

Yup, we're just as shite in the air as we are on the ground. :cry:

There's only a few players in our team who are any good in the air: Vidic, Rooney, Hernandez, sometimes Berbatov and sometimes Welbeck. At a push, Smalling and Evans.

Which is a big problem when our current play revolves around getting the ball out wide to Valencia, for him to pick someone out. Or, for Nani to try to cut inside and shoot. Our play revolves around going out wide. If somebody defends against Valencia and Nani successfully, we don't score. We can't go through the middle.

Watch how many times we get the ball in the middle of the park, and then play it out wide to either Evra or Valencia. This is why I like Anderson and Cleverley, as they're much more direct and will go through the middle.

I'm happy that we will be able to see a spectacular footballer back playing in our league, will be exciting. :)

I'm happy that we will be able to see a spectacular footballer back playing in our league, will be exciting. :)

I know, I've missed Landon Donavon as much as anyone else.

Anyone here care about teh lower leagues? Tonight I watched Huddersfield completely thump Wycombe (not too surprising as Huddersfield are a great side and Wycombe are probably going to be relegated) where Jordan Rhodes scored 5 goals. Rhodes is having an absolutely astonishing season; this season he's scored 25 goals in 21 league games, 27 in all competitions and this includes 5 hat-tricks. Incredible stuff, and he's only 21! Methinks he will be snapped up this transfer window by a Prem club, possibly Tottenham.

I wouldn't get too carried away. Doing it at League 1 level against teams like Wycombe is galaxies away from the Premiership against Man City/United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. No doubt he's got something, but many a time a prolific striker in the Football League will fail in the Premiership. He's young and will no doubt improve, so he has a higher than normal chance of making it. I think a season or two in the Championship would be beneficial.

I wouldn't get too carried away. Doing it at League 1 level against teams like Wycombe is galaxies away from the Premiership against Man City/United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. No doubt he's got something, but many a time a prolific striker in the Football League will fail in the Premiership. He's young and will no doubt improve, so he has a higher than normal chance of making it. I think a season or two in the Championship would be beneficial.

27 goals is still very impressive no matter what standard and he's been scoring against better teams than Wycombe. I'm not saying that he would definitely be successful in the Prem, but a Premier League club will probably sign him at some point. Maybe he'll succeed, but maybe he won't, we'll have to see.

I'm sort of reminded of Bobby Zamora. He was knocking loads in for Brighton in League One before moving to Spurs, where he did crap and then went down a division and did well for West Ham, and now he's back in the Prem. Rob Earnshaw also showed a lot of promise but ended up being a Championship striker.

A lot of interest in Rhodes, I see someone like Sunderland or about that level definitely thinking about taking a punt on him.

Love the Spurs Back to the Future picture, I hear Bobby Pires is still a free agent, sign him up and get Henry to stay till February 26th and roll back the years.

Anyone here care about teh lower leagues? Tonight I watched Huddersfield completely thump Wycombe (not too surprising as Huddersfield are a great side and Wycombe are probably going to be relegated) where Jordan Rhodes scored 5 goals. Rhodes is having an absolutely astonishing season; this season he's scored 25 goals in 21 league games, 27 in all competitions and this includes 5 hat-tricks. Incredible stuff, and he's only 21! Methinks he will be snapped up this transfer window by a Prem club, possibly Tottenham.

That's a pretty great record in any league.

However, I think it wouldn't be an entirely great move for him to go straight from League One to the Premiership. That's a 2 division jump, and he's only 21, like you say. There's also no guarantees that he'd get enough games, which would only halt his development.

If a Championship team came in with an offer, that's more sensible. Still, you never know.

I've just got off the National Express, after dropping Ine off at St Pancras. Sat behind me where these two 19/20 year old girls, doing some sort of quiz game on their phones.

Girl 1: "How many times have Spain won the World Cup?"

Girl 2: "None..."

Girl 1: "Wait...didn't Barcelona win it last year?"

I cried.

That's a pretty great record in any league.

However, I think it wouldn't be an entirely great move for him to go straight from League One to the Premiership. That's a 2 division jump, and he's only 21, like you say. There's also no guarantees that he'd get enough games, which would only halt his development.

If a Championship team came in with an offer, that's more sensible. Still, you never know.

Playing games isn't massively important. If the coaching and facilities are much better then a player will still improve. He's 21 though, and he's past that stage, so you're right when you say he needs to play. So half this post is pointless. :p

Playing games isn't massively important. If the coaching and facilities are much better then a player will still improve. He's 21 though, and he's past that stage, so you're right when you say he needs to play. So half this post is pointless. :p

Coaching and facilities is one thing, but going out on a field and playing against other Premier League players is another totally separate thing. You need match practice for that. You will only get so far with the coaching itself.

The coaching and facilities will no doubt be better. But, the standard will also be much higher. It's hard enough for some of the more experienced players out there, let alone somebody who is coming from a League One team and is only 21.

It's easy to write it off as just being in the lower leagues but look how many players have achieved similar things in recent history and it's pretty slim. He's also a Scottish international which is win because we're shit.

Derby day. Excited and Worried.

Our lack of defence against that Citeh attack could end up in another beating but I have faith in the lads and I know they will rise up and put in a good shift.

EDIT:

SCHOLES is back. What the? Not sure he will have the legs to play a full 90 minutes but glad to have him as an option again!

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jan/paul-scholes-rejoins-united.aspx

Edited by Platty