NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

What has he done? :blank:

I haven't seen the game, just the reactions of the mindless on facebook like they've won the world cup. It's the community shield, no one gives a toss.

Well he's won the 2007 European U17 Championship, the 2011 European U21 Championship (and was the in the UEFA European U21 Championship Team of the Tournament), the UEFA Europa League and the UEFA Super Cup. So essentially he's done a lot, for a 20 year old. Someone phoned up 606 claiming that he was a waste of money and inexperienced. It really was quite cruel how they proved him wrong live on air. Oh dear, probably the same guy who phoned them up once saying Arsenal should sell Fabregas and buy Modric because he's better on Football manager... Again they just laughed at him.

I think a few people do care about the community shield, I'm sure for those young players it was a very important game for them. Plus it was against City who had much more to gain from a victory so that always adds extra spice.

Its a game against fellow rivals, you still want to win.
Ofcourse, but I wouldn't be upset if Liverpool lost in it. As long as my team performed reasonably well, I'd be content.

Players are paid massive amounts, they should give 100% in every game they play in, whether it's the Champions League final, or a friendly away to Luton.

Don't get me wrong, he's had a good start to his career. Had a fortunate cup run with Athletico, but he's only made 57 career appearances (according to Wiki) and is 20 years old. I think it's fair to say he is inexperienced.

As for overpriced, possibly, but it's obvious Man United have invested in a long term solution with his signing.

Question I'd like to propose to Arsenal fans (I've not managed to talk to any informed ones this summer) is if a £40M bid came in for fabregas what do you think Wenger should do? I think of all the big teams situations Arsenals is the most interesting (Liverpool a close second) I'm just interested in what people think.

Paying £17mil for a goalkeeper who's 20 is pretty good value. Who knows, he could spend his whole career there, that'll mean scum getting 15 years out of him, probably more.

I am pleased see Liverpool keep a clean sheet in the last friendly before the season starts also nice to see aqua get a chance, is Meireles currently injured?

I was at the match yesterday :hehe:

I didn't think we played particularly well against Valencia but it was definitely positive that we managed to restrict them to very few chances at goal given our recent defensive frailties..

The seats we managed to get at Anfield were fantastic :yay: We were basically at the half way line in the main stand, only 4 rows back from the pitch. I got to see everything pretty clearly other than who scrambled the ball in for our second goal.

I was looking forward to watching Aquilani play, amongst others, but I was really disappointed in his performance :hmm: After hearing good things about him in the previous friendlies, he was all but anonymous for the hour or so he played. As for Andy Carroll, he wasn't quite as tall as I expected and, to be quite honest, he failed to impress either. He looked quite laboured on the ball but I'm sure he's better than yesterday would suggest..

Also, to our surprise, Fabio Capello was at the game, too! He was sitting in the director's box a few rows behind us beside Damien Comolli..

Aquilani has been quality. Playing behind the striker he's been decent enough. He just oozes class, and has tremendous vision. He's the type of player you need when playing against the 'park-the-bus' teams. He can produce that one little piece of magic to unlock a defence. I hope we keep him, but it's looking likely he's off back to Italy.

I've been wanting Aquilani to stay too but I just can't see it happening, unfortunately :hmm:

Question I'd like to propose to Arsenal fans (I've not managed to talk to any informed ones this summer) is if a £40M bid came in for fabregas what do you think Wenger should do? I think of all the big teams situations Arsenals is the most interesting (Liverpool a close second) I'm just interested in what people think.

I'd sell him, he clearly wants to go and as much as i'm sad to think off him not being a Gooner any more, i don't want every season to turn into the Fabregas to Barca circus like the last two.

Does this scenario include Cesc negating the £4M he'd be owed by the club if we broke his contract and sold him? If yes, then my answer is yes. Otherwise, more money please Barca.

From reports I've read this evening Cesc apparently has told the board they can keep the compensation for breaking his contract to help push the sale.

I'd rather we kept him, but I've had enough of the excuses and the lack of professionalism this summer. The longer this drags out the more he tarnishes his reputation with the Arsenal faithful. Training Thursday in front of fans at Members Day then not travelling to Benfica, is utter bull shit. It's either Wenger has accepted he's gone or Cesc is spineless.

Utd win in Fergie Time again. How many more times is that going to happen?

As many times as is required?

Another ridiculous comment about Fergie time, how many more times is that going to happen?

I always forget that the other team has to stop playing once the time hits 90 minutes... :nono:

IF only Fergie actually told them to win it then, just to really crush their spirit. That would be managerial brilliance.

Well by the fact that it actually has a name ascociated now "Fergie Time" it seems to happen to United more than most clubs.

I honestly do believe Utd get the rub of the green more than most!

Well by the fact that it actually has a name ascociated now "Fergie Time" it seems to happen to United more than most clubs.

The only reason it happens to United more than any other clubs is because of their attitude, they never give up. Last season against Everton we conceded two goals in injury time so we only ended up drawing, was that called Moyes time? No.

Also believing that any team, over the course of an extended period, get more favourable decisions is ridiculous it evens out. I've been thinking about doing it for a while but I'm going to try and keep a record of all dubious decisions which affect the results of this years premier league games. Of course even this wont be conclusive as you would have to look at EVERY decision, whether it leads to a goal or not, to get a truly accurate picture, but then if it shuts idiots up going on about teams getting more decisions then so be it!

Also you're a Liverpool fan, it's just your way of trying to convince yourself that United are only a better team through luck :heh:

But if a match that United are involved in get 4 to 5 minutes stoppage time or Fergie time that surely means the other team also have that 4 to 5 minutes to score? :hmm:

or doesn't anyone else see that?

also interesting with regards to old conversation of United get all the breaks...

here's penalties awarded to and against teams for the past few seasons...

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html

last season united were awarded 5 penalties and 6 against them, the season before okay they had 8, and 2 against them, but Chelsea has 12 for them...

Doesn't always go United's way.

The only reason it happens to United more than any other clubs is because of their attitude, they never give up. Last season against Everton we conceded two goals in injury time so we only ended up drawing, was that called Moyes time? No.

Also believing that any team, over the course of an extended period, get more favourable decisions is ridiculous it evens out. I've been thinking about doing it for a while but I'm going to try and keep a record of all dubious decisions which affect the results of this years premier league games. Of course even this wont be conclusive as you would have to look at EVERY decision, whether it leads to a goal or not, to get a truly accurate picture, but then if it shuts idiots up going on about teams getting more decisions then so be it!

Also you're a Liverpool fan, it's just your way of trying to convince yourself that United are only a better team through luck :heh:

It's United's 'never say die' attitude that makes me love them. When you watch them play you know they'll play until the final whistle. How many teams give up long before then?

Yes i am a Liverpool fan and i will not try and pretend that my views on United are probably tainted by that fact.

Yes Utd play to the very last second. But i dont know many teams that dont, not in the top half of the table anyway.

The penalty award statistic is interesting but what i would find more interesting is how many were turned down.

This is an oppinion i have about Utd and you may not like it, probably the same the other way around but that is what i think and i am afraid no matter what sort of statistics you throw at me will change my mind. It is just funny how the phrase was coined, no smoke without fire.

Yes i am a Liverpool fan and i will not try and pretend that my views on United are probably tainted by that fact.

Yes Utd play to the very last second. But i dont know many teams that dont, not in the top half of the table anyway.

The penalty award statistic is interesting but what i would find more interesting is how many were turned down.

This is an oppinion i have about Utd and you may not like it, probably the same the other way around but that is what i think and i am afraid no matter what sort of statistics you throw at me will change my mind. It is just funny how the phrase was coined, no smoke without fire.

It was coined by jealous fans who couldn't accept the fact that United were winning games right at the end. So they just made up some crap to try and justify that, because it's Manchester United, it must just be them being lucky.

On the small chance Fabregas does stay, he shouldn't be captain. That's not because the way things have gone down, I think RVP is a much better choice, he's everything the club is about in one fine Dutch player, not to mention he's our best player.

On the small chance Fabregas does stay, he shouldn't be captain. That's not because the way things have gone down, I think RVP is a much better choice, he's everything the club is about in one fine Dutch player, not to mention he's our best player.

Except he doesn't play a lot. Easily injured, although that isn't to say Fabregas isn't injury free.

Also about this Fergie Time- It has only been called so because Man U are renowned for scoring late goals, only plonkas (lol!) claim it as lucky. It isn't like they're all awarded freak penalties by the referees to change the score.

And those statistics posted by Murr, sure they show other teams being awarded more penalties, but it would be really hard to have any true basis since it is more about whether the penalties were rightly given or wrongly not given. Vidic has been a lucky boy several times not to concede penalties, he just loves holding on to people.

Except he doesn't play a lot. Easily injured, although that isn't to say Fabregas isn't injury free.

Also about this Fergie Time- It has only been called so because Man U are renowned for scoring late goals, only plonkas (lol!) claim it as lucky. It isn't like they're all awarded freak penalties by the referees to change the score.

And those statistics posted by Murr, sure they show other teams being awarded more penalties, but it would be really hard to have any true basis since it is more about whether the penalties were rightly given or wrongly not given. Vidic has been a lucky boy several times not to concede penalties, he just loves holding on to people.

He's had problems in the past but he's fit at the moment and has been for the past 6+ months. You can't base captaincy decisions on something that might or might not happen in the future.

Fergie time was necessarily to do with Man U scoring late goals it was the often frequent generous minutes being added on to games in which Man Utd were not winning in, when such injury time was never justified. Whether this led to a goal or not wasn't the point.

Edited by Jon

Yeah i thought fergie time was when they're given more minutes than there should be. Those penalty stats don't tell the whole story though, there's alot more than just that.

Yeah i thought fergie time was when they're given more minutes than there should be. Those penalty stats don't tell the whole story though, there's alot more than just that.

But then I bet there are loads of games where there seems to be too much/too little stoppage time. It's only ever talked about with Man United because they have a habit of scoring very late goals and so taking advantage of that stoppage time (rightly or wrongly, although I can only vividly recall one incident where it was really called into question, vs. Man City a couple of seasons ago when Owen scored).

With regards to the penalty stats, that's why I'm going to try and keep some sort of list of all dubious decisions - better set Match of the Day to series record before I forget :heh: