NEurope
jayseven

Preferentiality.

Not really. Because if someone believes that woman should be raped every night of their existance and that babies should be thrown into a river if they are born with hair, I'm not going to defend their right to believe that, I'm going to kill them.

You're really missing the point of the quote, then ...

Not really. Because if someone believes that woman should be raped every night of their existance and that babies should be thrown into a river if they are born with hair, I'm not going to defend their right to believe that, I'm going to kill them.

...In the subject of 'being a Jedi' ;) - the context of this phrase is to do with beliefs favoring the 'Light Side' of the force. ;)

Edited by King_V

You're really missing the point of the quote, then ...

Not really / maybe.

Someone believes that it is necessary for the betterment of humanity to kill all gay people. If it's a proper belief, they'll act upon it. Which puts me in direct danger. Why the fuck would I fight for their right to believe in that? I'd prefer an illiberal society where you aren't allowed to believe in things which contradict specific axioms.

You shouldn't be allowed to believe that killing people on the grounds of their identity is correct. And if you do believe that, you'll get killed. [Of course, that's a contradiction, but the world is a series of events, so...]

I just don't buy liberalism that doesn't take into account obvious bullshit.

This is my favourite thread.

I assimilate/become interested in things people tell me about if I'm interested in the person (platonically, not interested interested. Though that would apply too I suppose.). Sometimes. It depends entirely on the person, and my 'standing' in relation to them. I.e am I the one in 'power' in the relationship? Is it a 'sparky' relationship, relaxed etc? (This is something I've been thinking of a lot lately, the kinds of relationships, and our roles within them)

shut up.

I'd like to think I'm open to new things taste wise (films OBVIOUSLY I'm incredibly open) (music too, but my attitudes/tastes are still morphing and shifting like sand so I feel I can't comment any further).

I have no idea what the point of what I'm saying was.

Neglecting that it's not panto, more serious, more loud and in many cases not in English, what's good about it?

I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough to say technically why it's so impressive. All I can say is it was an experience that was delivered in a unique way and I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm not saying it's for everyone. I don't really like going to the theatre (although I have enjoyed it on occasion), but if you're going to give it a go you should give it a proper go.

I'd prefer an illiberal society where you aren't allowed to believe in things which contradict specific axioms.

Then we disagree on a level where it's pointless to keep up the discussion.

...In the subject of 'being a Jedi' ;) - the context of this phrase is to do with beliefs favoring the 'Light Side' of the force. ;)

Not really / maybe.

Someone believes that it is necessary for the betterment of humanity to kill all gay people. If it's a proper belief, they'll act upon it. Which puts me in direct danger. Why the fuck would I fight for their right to believe in that? I'd prefer an illiberal society where you aren't allowed to believe in things which contradict specific axioms.

You shouldn't be allowed to believe that killing people on the grounds of their identity is correct. And if you do believe that, you'll get killed. [Of course, that's a contradiction, but the world is a series of events, so...]

I just don't buy liberalism that doesn't take into account obvious bullshit.

Take it in this context then: "I might not be gay, but I'll fight till the death to ensure that you can be." :)

Ah, but, you see, as much as I would defend said bastard's right to say what he wants, anyone else has just as much right to call them out on it. It just means they can't be punished for it.

Whilst I would be first in line to inform said bastard as to why they're a complete fuckwit, I would have to insist that they must not be punished (at least beyond being socially cursed) for thinking something, or expressing it.

Censorship is wrong. End of.

As an example I'm possibly somewhat famous in these parts for (and I in no way intend to start a whole other argument for), I believe all proposed religions are bollocks, but it'll be over my dead body that people are banned from being religious. Of course, there is very much a difference between believing/expressing beliefs and acting on them.

Edited by The fish

(This is something I've been thinking of a lot lately, the kinds of relationships, and our roles within them)

Yes. This is my thing. I'm a different person depending on the circumstance. Everything is new.

And re: music/film, I feel I'm still tossing and turning trying to find safe ground, when I had the revelation that 70% of my iTunes is like so bitty and untwisting. There's so few solid. There's no American Pie.

But I feel I'm learning a voice. Like, I can be critical about things nowadays, and feel real. Watched Dogtooth recently, and reading reviews where it's revered, I feel "It wasn't that good, realistically. Since, ultimately, it didn't actually do that much to move or challenge or do anything." Not even being contrary, I just don't see the point in lauding something unnecessarily

shut up.

Isn't the point of the quote, anyone can say anything. Which is completely different to anyone can do anything.

Isn't the point of the quote, anyone can say anything. Which is completely different to anyone can do anything.

That as well, but I'd argue the main point of the quote is the inherent subjectivity of values and beliefs. There is no objective "right" and "wrong". Thus we need to agree on the values that we base our society on, and we can only do that properly if everyone is allowed to state his or her opinion. As soon as we start prohibiting certain ideas and beliefs, we begin oppressing certain people, and then we're on a downwards spiral towards a totalitarian state.

When I left school I decided to never look down on anyone's interests. In fact, I love hearing about stuff I wouldn't normally come across. Like when Rez was talking about comics and hero clixx at last year's meet I was having so much fun. It was like finding treasure or something (not Rez, just what he was talking about. lol).

The thing I like to say to people (can't remember where I heard it) is that Comics are just movies or TV shows with no budget. Its just another way of telling a story, and there is literally any genre you can think of. I'm probably too passionate about them though.

I also hate ReZ and have never met him.

But you were with me in spirit at Busch Gardens. We took you on the Rapids. :)

The Peeps - I was the same with Pizza. I was a mildly fussy eater when younger though. I found tomato to be fail and disliked cheese. The thing with pizza though is that...the tomato and cheese...its practically not even tomato and cheese. My friends had one once when I was round one of their house and I was like...>God...that looks so good/interesting/appetising (was from Pizza GOGO, which if anyone has ever been...visually they're so impressive) and I was like ...hmm. Think I tried it and was like "Holy win!"

Now I don't understand non-pepperoni pizza's though. Well margerita is good and there are other "good" ones, but why would anyone choose any of them over pepperoni.

And as for Cube - I was in a very similar position. I was completely dead against Playstation and XBOX for ages and ages. Then I got a 360 and was like "Oh Halo is win and controller is great" and then I got a Playstation because Uncharted happened. Honestly, without Uncharted they'd still be pretty bland, but there are some great games like SSDHD...but I mean....Uncharted is....like....worth the console alone.

------------

I'm pretty open to anything and I certainly don't look down on anyones hobbies, because I have such varied and nerdy/passionate ones. I have things that I'm like "God...just wouldn't ever want to do that" (LARP) but then I understand the appeal, and its always fun to do Super Hero Shindigs.

Probably the most shocking thing I've discovered in this thread is that some people didn't like pizza when they were young. I'd have thought Teenage Mutant Turtles would have persuaded all kids to try it.

I watched the Monaco F1 couple of weeks back. I've never really been that interested before and usually switch off at car based conversations (can't even tell a punto from a fiesta), but having recently gone karting for the first time I sort of saw the appeal. Actually watched Songs of Praise yesterday whilst cooking up some lunch as well. It was pretty good to have in the background; plenty of upbeat, slightly cheesy big band christian music. However two things I've never really enjoyed despite trying are the Godfather and Pink Floyd. I've never understood why they are regarded so highly.

Oooh, and one thing that really irritates me is when you introduce a friend to something they'd previously dismissed. Then when you meet them later they also love it, but act like you don't know anything about it and need informing. For example a conversation in the pub between two of my friends once went along the lines of:

"I love Muse, do you have any of their albums"

"Yeah of course, Orgins of Symmetry was one of the first albums I bought"

"Really? I didn't think you were that into them"

"I let you borrow that album when I invited you along to see them with me but you didn't know any of their songs"

"Which gig was that? Were you there?"

"Grrrraaagh!"

I'm always trying new things that I may not enjoy but at least I've given it ago. I'm not a religious person but at Uni I went to several different churches to get the feel from each different place and that was protestant and Catholic and attended Christian Union to get a feel for what other people genuinely believe in.

I am very open to any new ideas/laidback in general.

In regards to movies I will watch anything, there is no point in me saying I don't like that movie if I've not watched it I may end up loving it. I just love watching films good or bad I enjoy the experience.

Music wise if I'd get so bored if I stuck to one genre of music or a specific bands. People stay on one path too much. Now people think I just listen to obscure artists and don't even listen to the current "popular" stuff and were confused when I said I had been listening to the Tinie Tempah album. I give everything a chance.

This doesn't mean I like it all but I then don't go say something is stupid because someone else likes it. Such as Twilight I may not particularly enjoy it but if someone else loves it then fair enough that is what they like. who am I to judge?

In their eyes me liking Miley Cyrus could seem ridiculous. As humans we all like different things. deal with it.

I think my mum yesterday started talking about listening to the radio. I said I listen to Radio 1 and she was like what about Radio 4? you don't get the news on Radio 1 only that Cheryl Cole has left X Factor, the gossip.

I was like have YOU ever listened to Radio 1?

She was like no...

So you are basing your assumptions on nothing since you yourself haven't given it a chance?

I have listened to Radio 4 before, I've listened to many radio stations including BBC Asia.

Oh and I also try and see a bit of good in everyone I meet, even if I don't like them. I try not to judge them. If they were angry at me they may have been having a bad day something that you don't know about could have happened. Even if it's for a silly reason like I've got frustrated before because I couldn't send my Skitty across from one DS to another. :p

For Also I hate when people just lean on stereotypes. Not too much because I still do it myself even though I try not to. For instance thinking I'm gay because I've got Hello Kitty headphones. In my head that doesn't make sense.

The pizza things is pretty common, I've heard the same story from loads of people. I never liked pizza for years, because I never tried it, I love cheese, but hate tomato, so always thought I wouldn't like anything with tomato. I still hate tomato, and probably always will, but because I stayed over a friends for dinner when I was 15, and they had takeaway pizza, I had to at least try it, as it would have been rude to make a fuss. So glad I did now, and can't go a week without a pizza for dinner at least once.

Its funny, I dont like tomato or cheese that much but it never occured to me as a kid that I wouldnt like Pizza.

I'm always trying new things that I may not enjoy but at least I've given it ago. I'm not a religious person but at Uni I went to several different churches to get the feel from each different place and that was protestant and Catholic and attended Christian Union to get a feel for what other people genuinely believe in.

I am very open to any new ideas/laidback in general.

In regards to movies I will watch anything, there is no point in me saying I don't like that movie if I've not watched it I may end up loving it. I just love watching films good or bad I enjoy the experience.

Music wise if I'd get so bored if I stuck to one genre of music or a specific bands. People stay on one path too much. Now people think I just listen to obscure artists and don't even listen to the current "popular" stuff and were confused when I said I had been listening to the Tinie Tempah album. I give everything a chance.

This doesn't mean I like it all but I then don't go say something is stupid because someone else likes it. Such as Twilight I may not particularly enjoy it but if someone else loves it then fair enough that is what they like. who am I to judge?

In their eyes me liking Miley Cyrus could seem ridiculous. As humans we all like different things. deal with it.

I think my mum yesterday started talking about listening to the radio. I said I listen to Radio 1 and she was like what about Radio 4? you don't get the news on Radio 1 only that Cheryl Cole has left X Factor, the gossip.

I was like have YOU ever listened to Radio 1?

She was like no...

So you are basing your assumptions on nothing since you yourself haven't given it a chance?

I have listened to Radio 4 before, I've listened to many radio stations including BBC Asia.

Oh and I also try and see a bit of good in everyone I meet, even if I don't like them. I try not to judge them. If they were angry at me they may have been having a bad day something that you don't know about could have happened. Even if it's for a silly reason like I've got frustrated before because I couldn't send my Skitty across from one DS to another. :p

For Also I hate when people just lean on stereotypes. Not too much because I still do it myself even though I try not to. For instance thinking I'm gay because I've got Hello Kitty headphones. In my head that doesn't make sense.

I fucking hate you and your perfection. I wish I wasn't such cynical bastard that hates everything and everyone.

EDIT: And I mean that in an entirely nice way.

Both tomato's (pulped, nice sauce) and Cheese (melted) are just completely completely different to their raw/uncooked/normal counterparts.

This is an obvious statement but I felt it needed to be said. Like the elephant.

I used to be (/am, but am now just willing to try anything) a fussy eater (later found to be in part not just me being stupid, but because I had a tongue-tie, it meant I just plain didn't like the taste of some foods, or the texture or something. So it wasn't just me being difficult), and I wouldn't ever want something that had tomatoes or cheese in them. I still don't like tomatoes (I pick them out of burgers/meals when I can, but they're tolerable), but looking back on hating cheese I'm like "...". Though I wouldn't personally sit down to just some random blue cheese on a cracker. Maybe one day.

ANYWAY the point is I always loved Pizza. I think it's cause my mum just never mentioned it was tomato and cheese. Who knows?

I like / will eat Pizza, but I don't really understand the fascination. It's not that great. I'm more thrilled to have lasagne when I go to an Italian.

There was a really funny moment on my second date with the guy I'm seeing, where we were at a pizza restaurant (his suggestion, but we had both kinda mutually participated in the conversation that led to us choosing a pizza restaurant), and when looking at the menu, I was like "Might have a pasta". And he was like "Yeah, I always get pasta, don't really like pizza." Two people who didn't want pizza having gone to a pizza restaurant, both assuming the other wanted pizza.

Edited by chairdriver

I like / will eat Pizza, but I don't really understand the fascination. It's not that great. I'm more thrilled to have lasagne when I go to an Italian.

I always find it odd when people have a pizza at a restaurant (apart from places like Pizza Hut, obviously). It more of a "eat with hands" food, which would be rather rude to do in a restaurant.

Strangely, I can not stand cheese on butties. I like some cheese (I'm fussy when it comes to "funny" types) but I personally don't think it goes well with bread. Now melted cheese on toast...that is extremely awesome. Melted cheese is simply divine.

Actually I eat Pizza Hut with a knife and fork. When I discovered this it was a bit of a revelation actually. Because its so hot. You can cut an epic piece off, blow and enjoy the delicious goodness at a controlled temperature. I promise you. Go to Pizza Hut, use knife and fork and discover the epicness.

You can eat pizza (ACTUAL pizza, italian pizza, not Pizza Hut/westernised fast food pizza) easily with a knife and fork, and in fact it would be weirder/trickier to eat it with your hands.

see; Romana(o?) style pizza at Pizza Express.