NEurope
jayseven

Preferentiality.

I liek to think I'm all open-minded and nice about different things, yet I've realised that I still allow certain stereotypes to control my judgements.

I've never (properly) played or watched golf, yet I assume it it boring. I know nothing about cars, so I show no interest in people talking about the things. I immediately change the channel when songs of praise is on, or if there's ballet or opera.

Yet in the last two days I properly gave new things a chance.

Yesterday I played Order of the Schtick - a light-hearted D+D card-based D12 game thing that, with an open mind, I actually found really enjoyabled. Up 'til now I've just scoffed and nodded at people talking about such hobbies.

Today I sat and watched most of the canadian F1. up 'til now I just assumed it was people watching cars for three hours for no good reason. Today it clicked as to why people watched it. I was able to identify the drama (admittedly it was an especially dramatic F1).

But, in general, this weekend reinforced the meaning of open-mindedness. The easy option is always to just guffaw and shrug something different away, but actually choosing to delve oneself into something that had previously almost been taboo... Well... rewards will be all that meet you.

As gamers, we've overcome the stygma in the last couple of decades, with gaming slowly reaching the same respectable level as tv, movies and whatever. While '... so i have this friend on a forum I visit..." is actually still rather frowned upon as a citation, socially we've evolved well to adapt to a new area of entertainment. But my worry is that we are still closed-minded in many other ways.

What was the last thing that you switched from hating (because you knew nothing about it) to liking (because you gave it a chance)? What, objectively, do you currently believe is not worth your time, even though you've never given it a chance?

There's a lot more I want to say but... it's getting late!

Another winning thread from Jayseven :)

I'm trying to think of something I hated but turned the full 360 on and loved it afterwards... lol and now I've just thought of pizza. Hated pizza for ages but now I love it :p I just didn't give it a chance!

I think I'm generally quite open minded about stuff, I'll give things a try even if I'm skeptical.

When I left school I decided to never look down on anyone's interests. In fact, I love hearing about stuff I wouldn't normally come across. Like when Rez was talking about comics and hero clixx at last year's meet I was having so much fun. It was like finding treasure or something (not Rez, just what he was talking about. lol). My friends from uni are into a whole range of strange things and I've always at the very least heard them out. If someone thinks something is worth investing themselves in then I want to know why. If I don't like it then that's cool, too. I've given it a try.

I think that's my biggest rage issue, when people judge you on something they haven't even been bothered to try to understand. I had a friend who actually stops me when I talk about something that doesn't interest him. It's just so disgustingly undermining. It's really bloody personal. Anyway, talked to him about it and he hasn't done it since. I don't think he was aware he did it so I didn't go nuclear over it.

No one has objectively good taste, it doesn't exist, so I love to know where people's tastes originate.

There's a really good book on the social construction of taste by Bourdieu if anyone is interested.

Edited by Daft

I can't really say I can answer this as I can pretty much try anything. Problem is, I still think the same things as I did when I was 10, especially about sports. I still think fishing is boring and cruel, I still think golf is boring but I can appreciate how hard it can be, I still love boxing and snooker and I love Tennis.

I think maybe the only thing that has changed my opinion a little is sports. When I was younger, I hated sports because of my size as 9/10, my size would affect me. I didn't like football as much as I do now but I still liked it. My passion is now Squash, which I hope to be playing again real soon.

Other than that, nothing's really changed. I've always been open-minded more or less. I dislike opera but I do like instrumental music more than I did when I was younger but even then, I used to love listening to movie soundtracks.

..and now I've just thought of pizza. Hated pizza for ages but now I love it :p I just didn't give it a chance!

I used to think similarly about Pizza! My thoughts were that I didn't like tomato and I didn't like chesse so it was pretty much a guarantee that I wouldn't like Pizza..

I was so wrong :eek:

The first slice of a freshly baked pizza is probably one of the best experiences you can have with food, especially when you are ridiculously hungry! My food tastes in general have actually developed in recent years and I am basically open to trying everything now.. no fear :indeed:

On top of that, I've been making an effort to be a little less judgemental in recent weeks and been open to things that I wouldn't have been before.. and, so far, I'm feeling much happier :smile:

Isn't this about prejudice? :heh:

Anyway, I'm an old fogie, I'm given time to most things and don't think I'm prejudiced about much. The one thing I won't give any time to is gambling. I haven't tried it myself, but too many of my friends blow their paycheck on it, and I just see it as a very negative thing, not something that you get your money's worth of enjoyment out of.

As for other things... well, I don't actually get excited about sport, but I like the fact it exists. It's very healthy and a great use of live TV. High culture... again, it's good that it exists. At the other end of the scale, I find people are very snobby about Simon Cowell's talent shows, but they can be great fun. Basically, I dislike snobbery, both conventional and inverse.

I quite dislike films, and won't give them a chance any more, but I've seen enough. I've come to the conclusion that Hollywood is about stuffing violence and gore down our throats, and I won't give it any more time. It's not an industry I support.

Oh, I do know one thing I'm prejudiced about: mainstream gaming. Not that I haven't tried it, exactly, but maybe I could get some enjoyment out of FPSes and such if they gave them a chance.

I had a friend who actually stops me when I talk about something that doesn't interest him. It's just so disgustingly undermining. It's really bloody personal. Anyway, talked to him about it and he hasn't done it since. I don't think he was aware he did it so I didn't go nuclear over it.

This is happening to me at the moment. I'm guessing your friend was not the brightest person? The people who do this seem to be the ones with not much going on in their head.

Edited by Grazza
Automerged Doublepost

I dislike opera but I do like instrumental music more than I did when I was younger but even then, I used to love listening to movie soundtracks.

Have you been to the opera?

This is happening to me at the moment. I'm guessing your friend was not the brightest person? The people who do this seem to be the ones with not much going on in their head.

No, they're pretty smart and on it. They were just really caught up in themselves. Kind of needy/insecure, too. Like they needed to relate to everything so when something that they had no idea about came up in conversation they were like 'I'm going to stop listening now because I'm not going to be involved enough'.

Edited by Daft

Have you been to the opera?

I've seen it on television before and I didn't like it. I mean, I don't mind a couple of songs but I couldn't sit there for two or three hours and listen to it.

I quite dislike films, and won't give them a chance any more, but I've seen enough. I've come to the conclusion that Hollywood is about stuffing violence and gore down our throats, and I won't give it any more time. It's not an industry I support.

Wait...what?

You've written off all films across all genres, nations and purposes?

I can't think of anything at the moment (other than food, being donuts and that's Dexter's fault and I'm not so sure its a good thing :p) but I am bleary eyed.

Also as I seem to be in the midst of an opera discussion I would like to see one some day.

I've seen it on television before and I didn't like it. I mean, I don't mind a couple of songs but I couldn't sit there for two or three hours and listen to it.

I'd say opera is something you need to see live before writing it off. See Puccini's Tosca if you have a chance. I think it's like everyone's favourite opera. First one I saw and, even with the subtitles in Russian, it blew me away.

When you think about it, opera is meant to be seen live. TV is definitely not the ideal place for it.

I used to hate Harry Potter when I was a kid, mainly because everyone else told me I had to like it... just because I was a kid. I used to get Harry Potter Christmas presents because "that's what you buy kids" and I hated it.

Now though I think, while not a fan at all, it is probably a good thing for the world and children's literacy and I don't think it's at all bad or harmful, just not my cup of tea.

Although that might have been because Twilight came along, which I now direct my hatred towards. :P

While I do like to think I give everything a chance, it's just not practical to go around and being interested in everything. Sometimes you need to actively cut away something you might find interesting because you just don't have the time or energy to put effort into yet another area of interest.

I think my point is that while I don't judge stuff, there's just stuff I won't actively try to pour interest or effort into unless prompted by something.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Isn't this about prejudice? :heh:

heh, I thought the same.

I guess the true question of this topic is; are you STILL a racist? ;)

Wait...what?

You've written off all films across all genres, nations and purposes?

Yeah, I know how stupid that must sound. I basically dislike Hollywood, I think British TV does entertainment so much better - Merlin, Doctor Who, Primeval, Robin Hood. When I see something American there's far more likelihood they'll go too far with something.

Plus, I just started to find films really boring: pressing "Play" then sitting back doing nothing for 2 hours, watching something that is recorded and is the same every time. They're just not my thing any more.

I don't like ballet.

I've been to that Royal Opera House to watch it (by the way it's not a house, what a jip).

Kind of fell asleep.

I also hate ReZ and have never met him.

When I left school I decided to never look down on anyone's interests. In fact, I love hearing about stuff I wouldn't normally come across. Like when Rez was talking about comics and hero clixx at last year's meet I was having so much fun. It was like finding treasure or something (not Rez, just what he was talking about. lol).

You're my favourite.

---

I was actually thinking down similar lines today. I met up with my almostboyfriend (we've been seeing each other for like 4 weeks, but its not got to that point yet) today for coffee. We spent about 15 minutes talking about rowing, and I found myself enthused about the matter -- which is strange, given that I want to wring people's necks whenever they embark upon rowing chat elsewise. I feel it's because whenever someone I like talks about something positively, I end up also viewing it positively.

A while ago I said "Ugh, can't be bothered with all that angel shit" when talking about Christianity. James literally stopped the conversation to bitchslap me with words, citing several authors/important works and explaining why angelology is amongst the most interesting aspects of Judeo-Christian culture. Turns out a large section of his masters thesis was on angels in Milton's work. And since then, I've been reading here-and-there, and I agree, it feels like such a stunning thing. Like the one aspect of Christianity that feels most exotic, sexy and exciting. Come on Michael. Come on Lucifer.

That's certainly an instance where I've worked upon some nebulous idea in my psyche based on stereotype that angels were boring and cliche, rather than any actual experience.

But yeah, I'm a sucker for worshipping people I like, and cruelly dismissing anyone I don't like.

Plus, I just started to find films really boring: pressing "Play" then sitting back doing nothing for 2 hours, watching something that is recorded and is the same every time. They're just not my thing any more.

I think there's something to be said to giving yourself over to a film and letting someone else take you on a ride. We've been doing it for thousands of years.

Arguably a good film is different on repeat viewings.

Something I've hated for many, many years is the PlayStation. I had one as a child, but once I played Super Mario 64 I instantly switched into a Nintendo fanboy. From then on anything PlayStation was instantly rubbish.

That was until earlier this year. ReZ's repeated advertising of Uncharted 2 was getting to me and I really wanted to play Heavy Rain (I loved Fahrenheit). I saw the console on offer for under £200 and I had some money saved up. I thought...why not?

So, now one of my favourite games ever is a Sony game (Uncharted 2) and I'm starting to love over Sony franchises too, such as Ratchet and Clank.

As for something I don't think is not worth my time, despite it being classes as one (some) of the "best film(s) ever" is the Godfather trilogy. It simply doesn't appeal to me.

Anyway, I've recently become more and more aware that I do dismiss a lot of stuff before trying it properly, so I am trying to be a little bit more open to things.

Edited by Cube

Another thing I've noticed, is that in most cases when multiple people independently say a specific music artist/band is good, then they really are good.

Patti Smith, David Bowie, Paul Simon, Television, Pink Floyd. All of these were recommended to me, and they're all genuinely really so worth my time and energy.

Today I sat and watched most of the canadian F1. up 'til now I just assumed it was people watching cars for three hours for no good reason. Today it clicked as to why people watched it. I was able to identify the drama (admittedly it was an especially dramatic F1).

What drama?

When you think about it, opera is meant to be seen live. TV is definitely not the ideal place for it.

Neglecting that it's not panto, more serious, more loud and in many cases not in English, what's good about it?

I think, regarding life I am getting somewhat patient and spiritual... This leads me to appreciate every moment that passes - I'm not the most oratorical - so it's hard to explain what I mean... But in essence, life is beautiful; I'm interested in everything and 'preference' begins to take a back seat.

Funny enough, I was reading the Jediism website and there states to become a Jedi Knight, a phrase was coined up somewhat similar to: "I might not like what you believe in, but I will fight for your right to believe!" - or something on those grounds.

So I tend to favour understanding - I can understand why someone would like to watch F1 for 2 hours or so. :)

I think, regarding life I am getting somewhat patient and spiritual... This leads me to appreciate every moment that passes - I'm not the most oratorical - so it's hard to explain what I mean... But in essence, life is beautiful; I'm interested in everything and 'preference' begins to take a back seat.

Funny enough, I was reading the Jediism website and there states to become a Jedi Knight, a phrase was coined up somewhat similar to: "I might not like what you believe in, but I will fight for your right to believe!" - or something on those grounds.

So I tend to favour understanding - I can understand why someone would like to watch F1 for 2 hours or so. :)

Sorry to burst your geek bubble, but that quote (or a version thereof) is generally attributed to Voltaire: "I might not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."

It's a great quote in either case. :)

Neglecting that it's not panto, more serious, more loud and in many cases not in English, what's good about it?

Well the fact that it's survived hundreds of years and is still relevant says so much.

When in Vienna, we had the opportunity to see Mozart's Requiem played in the Opera House, but 30 Euro was too much for my interrail buddies, so we went to see Harry Potter 6 instead.

I genuinely wished I was dead that night. Probably the biggest regret in my life.

Sorry to burst your geek bubble, but that quote (or a version thereof) is generally attributed to Voltaire: "I might not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."

Haha! That's the one! ;)

Not really. Because if someone believes that woman should be raped every night of their existance and that babies should be thrown into a river if they are born with hair, I'm not going to defend their right to believe that, I'm going to kill them.