NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Imagine, an upscale port of Wind Waker, with the 2 extra dungeons made and with sword motion controls.

1310650820313.jpg

None of the controls are that bad in their own right, I just don't like how they made the game feel so stodgy, like wading through mud. Stop, swing. Stop, swing. Ugh.

If this game was called "Motion Swordsman" and was about standing still and waving the Wii remote, I'd have been impressed. It wasn't though - it was a Zelda, and motion controls don't suit Zelda. As such, it's a joy to go back to the d-pad or N64/GameCube Zeldas, which are far more fluid.

Hmm, I disagree. I don't get the wading through mud notion at all. It's nothing like that. It makes each enemy in the game feel like an enemy, rather than just something there to fill up the space, which you then kill. You can't just go in and slash away in this game, because it doesn't work that way. It's much more methodical, and that should be celebrated.

Controls were outstanding in this game. Far and away the best thing about this game. That's the one thing they shouldn't alter too much for the next game, but they will, unfortunately.

Controls were outstanding in this game. Far and away the best thing about this game. That's the one thing they shouldn't alter too much for the next game, but they will, unfortunately.

I didn't care for this Zelda for many reasons but my main issue was the controls. If they do continue with this route I would prefer that they make it optional. Just want to use a pad to play? Then just turn the motion controls off in the options. Everyone is happy.

I have mates who have played most of the Zelda games who just gave up on playing this because of the motion controls. Some like it, others don't.

I don't know I think the combats 50/50.

Sometimes the sword fighting was SO satisfying, like defeating those 'laser totems'... left/right/thrust and other such enemies where you do have time to stand and defeat them properly.

But certain situations where you're surrounded by a bunch of 5 moblins, or 2 lizalfo's, and there's no way you cannot resort to waggle/panicked combat because otherwise you just bounce around from clubbed tail to clubbed tail as they kick your ass. (if you have plenty of space to run around in and try and break them up it's a little easier, but it's not great design).

Also thought they made a mistake with the shield controls; it felt too detached.

But it's still me second favourite Zelda thanks to the rest of the game.

Edited by Retro_Link

I think the controls were great. Sure, they weren't perfect, i.e. some hassle with the nunchuck and the occasional problem of getting the angle exactly right, but still, very enjoyable! It's a much better experience than just mashing buttons, as the motion controls really get you involved with the game. Also, every aiming segment is much better and cooler with the wiimote. More of this, please.

For the next game, I'd say Nintendo focus more on the graphical presentation. Sure the style is cool, but it's still very basic, even too basic. Just take a look at Xenoblade: same machine, but the amount of detail is from another planet! So awesome...

The main problem for me was with the sword fighting. Say if you wanted to swing horizontally from right to left, but you were holding the controller already pointing left, you had to move it to your right before you could swing. But if you moved it too quickly (which didn't need to be that quickly at all), then it thought you were swinging. Sometimes this would mean you hit the enemy from the wrong side, and were vulnerable to attack. So you had to move it across in this slow movement, which was incredibly tedious in my opinion.

I didn't care for this Zelda for many reasons but my main issue was the controls. If they do continue with this route I would prefer that they make it optional. Just want to use a pad to play? Then just turn the motion controls off in the options. Everyone is happy.

I have mates who have played most of the Zelda games who just gave up on playing this because of the motion controls. Some like it, others don't.

Making it optional/giving the ability to use pad control is a bad idea. The game is built around motionplus controls, so that is how it should be played. Yes, it is different to the previous Zelda games in this respect, but that is what partly makes it unique.

It's like adding in the option to play dual-analogue in an FPS with motion controls. There is just absolutely no need for it. It's taking a huge backward step and you lose all of that precision, accuracy and speed that you would get from motion control. Why put yourself at a disadvantage?

The main problem for me was with the sword fighting. Say if you wanted to swing horizontally from right to left, but you were holding the controller already pointing left, you had to move it to your right before you could swing. But if you moved it too quickly (which didn't need to be that quickly at all), then it thought you were swinging. Sometimes this would mean you hit the enemy from the wrong side, and were vulnerable to attack. So you had to move it across in this slow movement, which was incredibly tedious in my opinion.

I'm not sure I understand this. If you're already at the left and want to swing horizontally, then swing from left to right. Unless you mean if the enemy has a shield or something in the way, in which case you'd have to move your sword back to the middle/to the right side anyway.

It's a videogame, but it always seemed pretty obvious to me how much "force" you would have to exert to differentiate between moving your sword from left to right, and swinging the sword from left to right. In my opinion, the game picked up on this the vast majority of the time.

Also, surrounded by enemies? Spin attack. No excuses, bitches. ;)

Motion controls were great. Item upgrading system was great. Graphical style was nice. What needed improving? Everything else.

It's like adding in the option to play dual-analogue in an FPS with motion controls. There is just absolutely no need for it. It's taking a huge backward step and you lose all of that precision, accuracy and speed that you would get from motion control. Why put yourself at a disadvantage?

It's not an advantage if I don't like using it. I would rather have a disadvantage and be comfortable than faff on with a control scheme I don't really care for. I would always using dual analogue sticks over motion controls, it's just what I prefer.

It's not an advantage if I don't like using it. I would rather have a disadvantage and be comfortable than faff on with a control scheme I don't really care for. I would always using dual analogue sticks over motion controls, it's just what I prefer.

The entire game is built around motion, every single aspect of it. There will be a period of adjustment because we've never played anything like it before. Did you finish the game?

The entire game is built around motion, every single aspect of it. There will be a period of adjustment because we've never played anything like it before. Did you finish the game?

Indeed I did. Still hate the controls. :D

Indeed I did. Still hate the controls. :D

I'm going to perform Inception on you to make you love the controls.

You will love them. ;)

I think control mechanisms are the least of Zelda's problems at the moment and I find the OTT focus on them a bit odd. Motion, 1:1, buttons, I don't care, just give me a quality Zelda game like the best in the series. Far more important things to worry about

Edited by Ronnie

I'm not sure I understand this. If you're already at the left and want to swing horizontally, then swing from left to right. Unless you mean if the enemy has a shield or something in the way, in which case you'd have to move your sword back to the middle/to the right side anyway.

As in my sword is on the left, but I need to swing from the right (such as with those skeletons who only leave one opening). I find the movement to the other side needs to be slow and exaggeration. Usually by the time I've moved it he's changed position. My tactic was to keep the sword on one side and wait for the opening to match up. That's not really a great way of playing though, and I'm sure it's not what the devs intended.

Maybe it's just me but the movement felt way to slow and cumbersome in order for it not to think you were attacking.

I beg to disagree. After playing Skyward Sword and going back to Twilight Princess (GC version) I couldn't help but notice how stiff the sword-fighting was.

And that's the thing - Zelda is not really about swordfighting. Link's main weapon always happened to be a sword, but it was never actually about swordfighting, which involves precise angles, clashes etc. The combat has always been more about movement and timing than what your sword was doing.

Link didn't swing how I wanted him to, couldn't move as freely and just about everything. Of course, when I got used to it again, it felt better, but IMO, it's a big loss of freedom, if Zelda team goes back to 'safe' button controls for Wii U -Zelda.

To be honest, I don't think traditional controls get the credit they deserve. What about all the things a GameCube pad can do that the Wii remote can't? Camera control thanks to dual-analogue. Shield control thanks to the R-trigger. I accept motion control has added certain types of freedom, but it's also taken other types away. It's a sidestep, not a total improvement.

I don't know I think the combats 50/50.

Sometimes the sword fighting was SO satisfying, like defeating those 'laser totems'... left/right/thrust and other such enemies where you do have time to stand and defeat them properly.

That's true. I liked those totems (and the 4th boss) where there was a difference between horizontal and vertical. But again, it comes back to whether Zelda should be a game about standing still doing accurate sword swipes, or the "movement + timing" model of old. And as people point out, you can do vertical, horizontal and thrust without motion controls.

Ideal controls, in my opinion, would be Wind Waker's twin C-stick, L + R trigger set-up, plus the "running swordswipe" from Twilight Princess. They both felt far more fluid.

Probably the most appropriate place to put this... HELL HATH FROZEN OVER!! HYRULE HISTORIA IS GETTING AN OFFICAL ENGLISH RELEASE!!!

http://www.diamondbookdistributors.com/downloads/DBD_JAN2013SalesKit.pdf#page=18

hyrule-historia-english.png

Dark Horse Books and Nintendo team up to bring you The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, containing an unparalleled collection of historical information on The Legend of Zelda franchise. This handsome hardcover contains never-before-seen concept art, the full history of Hyrule, the official chronology of the games, and much more! Starting with an insightful introduction by the legendary producer and video-game designer of Donkey Kong, Mario, and The Legend of Zelda, Shigeru Miyamoto, this book is crammed full of information about the storied history of Link’s adventures from the creators themselves! As a bonus, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia includes an exclusive comic by the foremost creator of The Legend of Zelda manga — Akira Himekawa!

KEY SELLING POINTS:

• The Legend of Zelda franchise has sold 68 million copies since the release of the first game,

with the original Legend of Zelda being the fourth best selling NES game of all time, and The

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time holding the record for the highest reviewed video game of all

time.

• Covers the full history of The Legend of Zelda franchise.

• With an introduction by game designer Shigeru Miyamoto.

• Includes the official timeline of The Legend of Zelda games, never-before-seen concept art, The

Legend of Zelda manga, in-depth information on the making of the The Legend of Zelda

franchise, and art by some of the most storied concept artists in video games.

JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!! :bouncy:

Beautiful piece of fan-art. I wouldn't say this is a spoiler, I haven't even finished the game yet myself but this piece hasn't revealed anything I didn't already know or come across in the game.

Anyway.

c82efe9b6827bd0801162d76b7f4b7a8-d4tfpp9.jpg

Really nice!!

There are alot of spoilers (actually everything I think! :p) in there for anyone who stayed spoiler free in the build up and didn't see any of the official artwork.

Made me want to play the game again, but I think I should leave it quite a long time before I do that again.

So many great moments!

Why there weren't more Sheikah in this game! Found that a little dissapointing!

When you first get glimpses of the Sheikah (or as it turned out just one sheikah), I genuinely thought it was going to be a few different ones, all out of sight behind the scenes, and that Zelda would be taken and trained at some small Sheikah outpost/camp somewhere. It was a bit dissapointing that only Impa was in this game, when surely this was the ideal game to flesh out the Sheikah and their background. I'm not really sure why Nintendo seem to have turned a tribe, into just one person now?

. I'm not really sure why Nintendo seem to have turned a tribe, into just one person now?

The Sheikah have a history with the ancient tribe that made the Mask of Majora and the next game in the Zelda series will explain just what happened between these two tribes and why the Sheikah were forced to reduce their group to a single person lineage.

Completed this last week.

Awesome! Really enjoyed it.

My biggest complaint is still the controls and graphics though, I never really got into the whole art style of it and just thought it looked like a blurey mess. And the sword fighting annoyed me a lot!