NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

10.5 hours in, just arrived in the fire temple. Really loving it, my favourite bit though, weirdly, was the very beginning until it all went tits up, I loved the knights school stuff, I loved how Zelda was with Link, I loved Goose and such; thought it was utterly amazing, even when it all went wrong, great stuff!

I mean I'm absolutely loving it, but there obviously isn't any room for as much character.

And I'm loving the motion controls too, the sword play is just simply stunning. VERY disappointed with the bomb bowling though, was really looking forward to it as I live sports bowling and want it to control exactly like this, just feels al title clumsy and not as precise as everything else.

Game looks stunning too, I really do wish it was in HD, but then I wonder if they would have gone for the impressionist effect (which surely was born out of solving technical limitations) which, again, is fantastic.

What I will say though, is that it doesn't feel fresh or new in any way to me, it feels exactly like Zelda always has (which isn't a bad thing), it's presented in a slightly different way, but ultimately the same when you boil it down. Hoping to gets a 10 hours in over the weekend, it's sad that it has to end soon! if 40 hours is to be believed I'm a quarter of the way though (though planning on a side quest blitz after this temple)...

After the fourth dungeon:

I was not expecting the triforce to appear on Link's hand!

Looking forward to see what comes of that, whether he gains a piece of the triforce each time he powers the sword up, or whether he has his piece now, and unleashing the flames at the other two dungeons will give Zelda/Ganon? their pieces. Ooh this is getting exciting.

How do I do the wawing game with the harp at the bar?

That's the one thing I hated about this game. It kept over playing. You just need to move all the way from one side to the next when the audience move

Does anyone know if I can transfer my save data for this to another Wii? I've tried with games in the past, but some didn't work. I'm really hoping that it does because I don't want to re-do what I've already done.

It's not online so I don't see why not. You need to have played the game on the new Wii before it allows you to copy over. And by played I mean insert the disk.

Nice. Although the beginning ceremony and subsequent "dream" sequence were pretty cool so I wouldn't be too opposed to doing it again.

Come on guys. Keep it spoiler free or spoiler tagged! Or piss off into the other thread.

It's ridiculous.

I've completed the 3rd dungeon and done a bunch of things since then. Having lots of fun.

Is it just me or is there nothing happening with the plot? I'm not one to usually care about the story of a Zelda game, but so far I have no idea where the story is going or even what the purpose of my quest is. The first two hours set up the story quite nicely, but since then there hasn't been much plot development. At first, I was sent to the surface to rescue Zelda, but now I'm supposed to be protecting her while she does some quest which hasn't been explained (and I'm doing a lousy job since all I've been doing is catching up with Zelda only to lose her again). Me and Zelda have apparently been chosen by the Goddess and we're now fulfilling our fated destinies or something, but what are we actually doing? What is the ultimate goal of this ordeal? Why are the bad guys trying to stop us? In Ocarina, our mission was to stop Ganondorf. In Majora's, we had to stop the moon from crashing into Clock Town. At the moment, I feel like I'm mindlessly following orders from a robot. Go here. Collect this.

I'm guessing that at some point everything will be explained, but a little exposition here and there would be nice.

Come on guys. Keep it spoiler free or spoiler tagged! Or piss off into the other thread.

It's ridiculous.

The Wii game box it came in is white.

Not gotten to the 4th dungeon yet.... got a bit side tracked

Ok at first I finished up the side quest involving a letter and a choice... after thinking it over a bit decided to give it to who I was asked to give it to.

Then went to sort out the windmills. Took me awhile to figure out how to get the guy infront of the broken one to ask me about it... I just talked to him, he said something bout the Lumpy Pumpkin so I thought he wants some soup... flew there and back (did a new job/side quest while there...) and nothing new comes from the guy by the windmill.

It was only by chance I then walked closer to the damn thing to trigger the cut scene *facepalm*

Then when I got the Scrapper guy working I thought, "I'll hold off on the fan" as I remembered another fallen item I had found in my travels of the desert and thought why not go find that first. Went down found it and realised Fi had no option to call Scrapper :mad:

Then went looking for the fan, ignored the dowsing feature as you do, since I passed the fan already and "thought" I remembered where I saw it.... where did I go? To Faron frakking Woods :heh: Took me awhile to figure out I was in the wrong place and was meant to be at the volcano...ggggrrrrrrr.

Finally got that done, moved the windmill and did what was needed on the tower. Then I needed like 300 rupees more to buy the new shield the store guy had. Thought I should get that. Spent AGES looking for more rupees, got to 400 then realised I had 40 Gratitude crystals and forgot to see Mr. Bats.... what did he give me.... 300 rupees :heh:

So then went to follow the new light beam and loved the puzzle to make the bridge, thought that was pretty good, bit of head scratchin but got it eventually.

That's the one thing I hated about this game. It kept over playing. You just need to move all the way from one side to the next when the audience move

I did something random and it worked.

i would say up to the point i am at.. you got nothin to complain about with the story. to be honest with you its blown me away in a way no other video game has, i just wanna finish it now.

Just beat the 5th temple, I think that's right

The one on the boat

, loved that boss battle.

How do I do the wawing game with the harp at the bar?

I'm having issues with this one too

I've managed to do the first two jobs he gave me, but for the love of me, I just can't do the one where I have to play the harp with the girl. Do I just keep a constant rhythm, or do I have to be in time with the waving arms. I keep missing a few of the quick changes and I think that is what is making me fail.

just try to follow one of the guys arms.. i did it extremely sloppily and did it first time so i dont think it has to be very accurate.

I'm having issues with this one too
I've managed to do the first two jobs he gave me, but for the love of me, I just can't do the one where I have to play the harp with the girl. Do I just keep a constant rhythm, or do I have to be in time with the waving arms. I keep missing a few of the quick changes and I think that is what is making me fail.

You have to do fast motions. Just move the Wiimote quickly left or right when they move their arms. Don't try to actually move it slowly to match the movement of their arms. Did it on my first try after I found that out. :indeed:

As for the quick changes, those are simple enough once you've played the song a couple of times.

I am really liking the game and I just love the visual style. I am having no problems whatsoever with the motion controls except for tightrope walking, any advice for that?

Regarding the 5th and 6th dungeons, the 5th wasnt so great but the boss was awesome the 6th dungeon however was damn good.

Right now I'd put it on par with Twilight Princess. I reckon I'll have it beat tomorow.

You have to do fast motions. Just move the Wiimote quickly left or right when they move their arms. Don't try to actually move it slowly to match the movement of their arms. Did it on my first try after I found that out.
:indeed:

As for the quick changes, those are simple enough once you've played the song a couple of times.

Thanks, did it first time just now, and I still misses a few of the quick changes.

I've no idea what this game is like, but the free orchestral CD is STUNNING. Sorry to shout, but it is stunning.

My pre-order (haha) of Skyward Sword has still not turned up. It's testament to how good the music is that I can listen to it on YouTube and that wipes all my annoyance away. The Twilight Princess and Wind Waker symphonies in particular are just so beautiful and sweeping. The former reminds me of running through Hyrule Field, then I get shivers down my spine when Ganondorf "appears". The latter takes me from Outset Island and then out to the Great Sea, before ending in a celebration of that brilliant game.

So pleased Nintendo put full effort into orchestrating all this.

One thing I have been slightly disappointed about in terms of story/characters:

I think it kind of sucks that there has been no sort of character development really of the Loftwing - firstly it hasn't got a name, we are told at the beginning it is a special crimson loftwing, but then past the intro there is NOTHING about the loftwing, the knight academy or the way of life above the clouds - it simply becomes a method of transport, with no personality and little importance to the plot really.

I understand the story is based on what is happening BELOW the clouds, but while there are lots of interesting characters on Skyloft, I feel the birds are underused and could have been fleshed out a bit - eg. maybe we could bump into and speak to others flying around - race them... also - where did Zelda's loftwing go?

Can anyone holp me with this?

I've given Fledge 2 stamina potions and I go and talk to him in the morning, he says to come and see him in his room at night but whenever I go to him at night he just repeats what he said last night. I'm stuck in an endless loop and the quest refuses to finish.

Can anyone holp me with this?

I've given Fledge 2 stamina potions and I go and talk to him in the morning, he says to come and see him in his room at night but whenever I go to him at night he just repeats what he said last night. I'm stuck in an endless loop and the quest refuses to finish.

It'll happen after you progress further in the game. It's a gradual thing

One thing I have been slightly disappointed about in terms of story/characters:

I think it kind of sucks that there has been no sort of character development really of the Loftwing - firstly it hasn't got a name, we are told at the beginning it is a special crimson loftwing, but then past the intro there is NOTHING about the loftwing, the knight academy or the way of life above the clouds - it simply becomes a method of transport, with no personality and little importance to the plot really.

This is why I gave my Loftwing a backstory. I called him Euflamm. As he was a red Loftwing, he was often picked on by the other loftwings for being different. As such, he always tried his hardest, but never could get the love of his friends or parents.

I understand the story is based on what is happening BELOW the clouds, but while there are lots of interesting characters on Skyloft, I feel the birds are underused and could have been fleshed out a bit - eg. maybe we could bump into and speak to others flying around - race them... also - where did Zelda's loftwing go?